The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving Oxford English to study Maths/Comp Sci

Currently at Oxford studying English and I quite frankly despise the course. I don't feel compelled to read the set texts and the discussions bore me - basically I don't think I'm as interested in Literature as I thought I was. I feel like I went the wrong way with my uni choices and should have pursued Maths or looked into Computer Science. My grades were A*A*A in Maths, Biology and English Lit. If I leave I'll have to study Further Maths and I'll also do Physics and then apply for 2014 entry to uni. Opinions?

I always said I wouldn't study English at any other University at Oxford; I realise that was the wrong attitude to have now.
Depends where you apply
Reply 2
why would you do physics a-level if you're applying for maths/computer science ?

in fact you don't even need further maths, but I do understand its preferred (but not mandatory) by unis so go ahead and do it, you'd have loads of free time once you dropped out of your current course

but you don't have to wait until 2014, just drop out now and apply for 2013 entry (you have until about mid-january 2013 to get your UCAS sorted and sent off, that should more than enough time). You can do the further maths a-level in this current academic year, and get your UCAS referee to give you a prediction (however if you're doing the a-level independently, they might have to leave the prediction blank, but thats fine the unis will understand and they'll probably use your previous A-level results to judge your capability)
Reply 3
Original post by freeurmind
Depends where you apply

I'm thinking:

Warwick, Durham, Ox/Cam, Imperial, UCL
Reply 4
Original post by Jack93o
why would you do physics a-level if you're applying for maths/computer science ?

in fact you don't even need further maths, but I do understand its preferred (but not mandatory) by unis so go ahead and do it, you'd have loads of free time once you dropped out of your current course

but you don't have to wait until 2014, just drop out now and apply for 2013 entry (you have until about mid-january 2013 to get your UCAS sorted and sent off, that should more than enough time). You can do the further maths a-level in this current academic year, and get your UCAS referee to give you a prediction (however if you're doing the a-level independently, they might have to leave the prediction blank, but thats fine the unis will understand and they'll probably use your previous A-level results to judge your capability)

Well term ends at the end of the month. I might use that time to get a good personal statement written but I worry about things like STEP prep if I go for straight maths, may have left it too late for this year.

EDIT: I just feel if I'm going to do another years of A levels Physics would be a great little bonus to have. Would help with Maths applications.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
if you want to reapply, remember your already at oxford, you should probably ask your tutor whether you can change course for the next year to maths/compsci.
I am studying computer science and my friend on my course changed from psychology which he had started the year before and he had got AAA in maths, business studies, psychology, so this kind of situation is possible. if it were possible without reapplying that would be less hassle.

I don't know how required furthers maths would be for the maths course, but I can tell you I wish I didn't waste my time doing further maths, it was annoying to do the work, it turns out my course didn't even need it and the maths I learned has had little relevance to the maths I learn now.
And physics is quite interesting not so much during AS though.
so If you wanna do maths and have to reapply you might as well do further maths, for compsci I would do physics, knowing some of the basics can make your final year project rather interesting.
Reply 6
Original post by cmad95
if you want to reapply, remember your already at oxford, you should probably ask your tutor whether you can change course for the next year to maths/compsci.
I am studying computer science and my friend on my course changed from psychology which he had started the year before and he had got AAA in maths, business studies, psychology, so this kind of situation is possible. if it were possible without reapplying that would be less hassle.

I don't know how required furthers maths would be for the maths course, but I can tell you I wish I didn't waste my time doing further maths, it was annoying to do the work, it turns out my course didn't even need it and the maths I learned has had little relevance to the maths I learn now.
And physics is quite interesting not so much during AS though.
so If you wanna do maths and have to reapply you might as well do further maths, for compsci I would do physics, knowing some of the basics can make your final year project rather interesting.

I'm actually asking this tommorow :P

As a Computer Science student, are there any books you recommend for beginners to get a good overview of the subject? I don't know much about it, but the idea of working in technology appeals to me and I'd prefer not to have just a straight Maths degree. Are there any good things I can do for my personal statement too?
Reply 7
Buy "The New Turing Omnibus" it's a good book
Reply 8
Original post by FloydRix
Buy "The New Turing Omnibus" it's a good book

Just checked it out on Amazon - it seems perfect for an introduction to several aspects of the subject. Thanks very much!
Reply 9
Original post by jglfc
I'm actually asking this tommorow :P

As a Computer Science student, are there any books you recommend for beginners to get a good overview of the subject? I don't know much about it, but the idea of working in technology appeals to me and I'd prefer not to have just a straight Maths degree. Are there any good things I can do for my personal statement too?

I would also highly recommend the Turing Omnibus as well, personal statement wise, I would recommend learning to code, or at least some of the basics since alot of what you do is based off programming concepts, look at for a language called python and follow a couple of tutorials that are are littered around the net, all the stuff you need you can get for free

you could make your own website. But it won't be as relevant but it is far easier to learn HTML.

I did the national cipher challenge a few years ago, I know that can make a personal statement look good, I just got a couple of my more mathematically inclined friends, and we worked together to decrypt some encrypted documents, they start from very simple encryptions like ceaser shifts too abit more demanding vigenere ciphers. and that was good fun. so that is another option.

if you did any one of these things it shows a real interest in technology, or even fields within compsci, and all these things require problem solving, so it could also show you if you enjoy the subject. Because trust me if for example like I have had some sleepless night sitting in front of a computer writing code, but personally for me the it is worth it due to the satisfaction of creating something that works and does everything it was required to do. if you didnt like coding or the problem solving aspect then the subject is not for you.

if you e
Since you're at Oxford (1st year?) I'd speak to someone about looking to transition within the university rather than leaving and putting yourself a year behind and as well being back in the mixer/lottery re: admissions. Because you're not going to do better than Oxford are you? They're reluctant to see students leave (looks bad on the stats, for both college and department) and might be more accommodating than you imagine.

Plainly, English -> Maths isn't going to be possible with your A-levels but there are courses that you might find more congenial than English and for which your A-levels are entirely acceptable. Ask about the possibility of switching to Computer Science and Philosophy. You could there make a concentration in CompSci options and your A-level in English (i.e. an essay-based subject) is a selling point rather than drawback.
Reply 11
Original post by cambio wechsel
Since you're at Oxford (1st year?) I'd speak to someone about looking to transition within the university rather than leaving and putting yourself a year behind and as well being back in the mixer/lottery re: admissions. Because you're not going to do better than Oxford are you? They're reluctant to see students leave (looks bad on the stats, for both college and department) and might be more accommodating than you imagine.

Plainly, English -> Maths isn't going to be possible with your A-levels but there are courses that you might find more congenial than English and for which your A-levels are entirely acceptable. Ask about the possibility of switching to Computer Science and Philosophy. You could there make a concentration in CompSci options and your A-level in English (i.e. an essay-based subject) is a selling point rather than drawback.

I will definitely look at my options within Oxford first, while also planning a UCAS application as a backup. I am indeed a first year - do you think they'd let me change courses but defer it to next year? Seems a bit late to start now, it's week 6.
Original post by jglfc
I will definitely look at my options within Oxford first, while also planning a UCAS application as a backup. I am indeed a first year - do you think they'd let me change courses but defer it to next year? Seems a bit late to start now, it's week 6.

I dunno. You'd have to speak to them.

Something you'll want to confirm before doing so is which courses are offered at your college (straight maths will be but you can discount that as an option) because migrating college is very difficult to do.

But week 6 of yr 1 is nothing. Start speaking to people in authority rather than to people on messageboards.
Reply 13
Original post by cambio wechsel
I dunno. You'd have to speak to them.

Something you'll want to confirm before doing so is which courses are offered at your college (straight maths will be but you can discount that as an option) because migrating college is very difficult to do.

But week 6 of yr 1 is nothing. Start speaking to people in authority rather than to people on messageboards.

Thanks.

I have been, got a meeting my personal tutor tomorrow. We'll see.
Original post by jglfc
Thanks.

I have been, got a meeting my personal tutor tomorrow. We'll see.

Good.

The other course for which your A-levels are ideal preparation is this: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/psychology_philosophy_and_linguistics/psychology_1.html

And this is better preparation for a career in computer science than you might suppose. Options in formal linguistics (syntax, semantics), in Philosophy (Phil of Cognitive Science) and in Psychology (information processing, language and cognition) all strongly lend themselves to that.
Original post by jglfc
Currently at Oxford studying English and I quite frankly despise the course. I don't feel compelled to read the set texts and the discussions bore me - basically I don't think I'm as interested in Literature as I thought I was. I feel like I went the wrong way with my uni choices and should have pursued Maths or looked into Computer Science. My grades were A*A*A in Maths, Biology and English Lit. If I leave I'll have to study Further Maths and I'll also do Physics and then apply for 2014 entry to uni. Opinions?

I always said I wouldn't study English at any other University at Oxford; I realise that was the wrong attitude to have now.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying English. I agree with other posters is that you should investigate transferring, rather than withdrawing and reapplying. However, you would have to prove that you're as good as other students accepted for the degree. You almost certainly would have to start in October 2013, rather than trying to catch up this year. You might be required or encouraged to do Further Maths A Level between now and then.

For Computer Science, I suggest you look at our web pages, starting at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computer_Science_at_Oxford. If you're at a college that doesn't offer Computer Science (or Computer Science & Philosophy) then you can consider requesting a transfer of college; in this case, the new college would probably want to consider you alongside the current crop of applicants. Let me know by PM or email if I can help further.
There is really no point in doing a course in a subject that you have no interest in. I think the A Level aspect of English is much more engaging but at University it is not as interesting. What you do need to think about is the career pathway you wish to take? Would you like to pursue a career which has a direction relation to English or does it include more mathematics or does it perhaps include both?

As you mentioned to do a maths degree, it is advisable to take an A Level Physics as most university courses require high levels of understanding of Physics, especially in mechanics. Your a level grade in Maths is quite sufficient to study maths at a university, like Oxford and if you can match that grade in physics, I'm sure that you will be accepted by a Russell group university. The maths course will be very challenging but it is also very fun, if you have a growing passion for maths.

You really need to think about what subject you enjoy the most and consider your future career, as the subject you qualify in will play a major role in the career options that are available to you.

Hope it helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Thank you all - think I probably will be making a UCAS application. Changing course seems unlikely at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending