The Student Room Group

UK teenagers have average reading age of 10-11

Scroll to see replies

Because people genuinely ask "like, why do you even, like, read? It's so boring!"
(edited 11 years ago)
That's rather embarrassing.
Although of course it must be stressed that just because someone can't read for **** doesn't mean that they can't comprehend, understand and express themselves intelligently.
yh....not surprised
Reply 4
People have problems reading their exam papers?! Sounds a bit exaggerated to me. I mean they might have reading ages of 11, but come on im sure an 11 year old can read something like "tom bought 50 apples..." etc
My reading age has always been 3 years ahead, meaning I have the reading ability of a 23 year old :/
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
My reading age has always been 3 years ahead, meaning I have the reading ability of a 23 year old :/

My reading age has always been quite a bit higher, too.
Reply 7
It pretty much says why it is in the article; because pupils do not read enough during their secondary school education and so their reading ability regresses as a result. This is probably something to do with the fact that reading has fallen out of favour as a form of entertainment amongst young people and is even seen as unfashionable. Text message abbreviations and colloquialisms probably don't help matters either.
Reply 8
I'm not that surprised, although, thankfully it's not representative of every teenager.

Original post by desdemonata
My reading age has always been quite a bit higher, too.

Girls are known to be the better readers. :sigh:

How would you even know that? How do you find out your reading age?
Original post by internetguru
How would you even know that? How do you find out your reading age?

Got told when I was at school.
Got told when I was at school.

You are at school whilst 20 years old?
I would've put it closer to 5/6.
Kids haven't taken advantage of technology and the knowledge and wonders it provides. They'd rather spend meaningless hours on social networking sites, the Daily Mail Website, forums (expect TSR because we're cool) and YouTube. Texting and bbming has become their new past-time. It's sad because the internet has an unlimited supply of info but we use it to 'like', 're-tweet' and 'poke'. People now have to prove they're smart by copying and pasting 'intelligent' quotes from a person who died 50 years ago. We have all this awesome stuff around us but 99% of us don't know how it's made. Technology had consumed people's lives that reading a book is no longer the norm or dare I say cool.

I really hope evolution doesn't reverse itself.

Will kids in a 100 years time be able to download oxygen, green grass and sunshine from the internet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
What does 'reading age' even mean? I've found some formulas for calculating it, but I'm still none the wiser why the formula yields an 'age'. If it doesn't relate to the average performance of someone that age, then what does it do? I suspect the BBC journalist who wrote the article doesn't know either.

Same. I was about 5 years ahead back in primary school, and I'm 2 years ahead now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

same. i think when i was about 13 i had the reading age of a 20 year old. i dont even know how they worked that out
Original post by Kolya
What does 'reading age' even mean? I've found some formulas for calculating it, but I'm still none the wiser why the formula yields an 'age'. If it doesn't relate to the average performance of someone that age, then what does it do? I suspect the BBC journalist who wrote the article doesn't know either.

I always thought it was the expected level for that age? As in, if you can read slowly with phonics you have reading age x, if you can read a picture book with a little bit of help, rating age y,, etc. If there are formulas,I guess I had the wrong idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Reading ages are bogus ... It's easy to get a high age in those test whilst never have reading a book outside of school.
As I understand it, this thread is about reading. Perhaps teenagers' reading levels?

Amirite pals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending