The Student Room Group

reneging Big 4 offer

Hi guys,

Would really like some advice on this.

I did an internship with a big 4 firm this summer and received a full time offer. I accepted it (signed contract) as I wasn't sure if I would get offers from anywhere else.

However, tbh I didn't think the firm was right for me (there is a slight difference with this one!). Secondly, I didn't get my internship in the division I originally applied to as vacancies got filled quickly .

Anyway...I still applied to some other firms and now I've got an assessment centre w/partner interview at another firm in the division I want.

From my research and own experience, firms do have waiting lists in case student renege. I was on one when I applied for the internship. I also am on good terms with the graduate recruiter and am sure he won't take it personally.

Has anyone here successfully reneged a Big 4 offer for another Big 4? I feel like I have to decide whether I should renege now before committing to preparing for the upcoming AC.

Cheers
Reply 1
Ouch, that's very risky without securing another firm offer. Why do you want to renege before attending the AC?
Reply 2
Original post by poony
Ouch, that's very risky without securing another firm offer. Why do you want to renege before attending the AC?

No I'm definitely going to wait until I hear back after the AC but would like to decide in advance whether I would actually do it.
Reply 3
I have been with one of the Big4 for over 10 years now, seen many graduates come and go, don't worry.

As with the issue of division, it's much easier to move when I joined and I have moved to other divisions once I fully qualified, I know it's more rigid nowadays but still possible.

Since you haven't been to the other firm, get a feel from the interview with the partner, no need to make up your mind yet, I hope you didn't tell them you have signed a contract with one of their major competitors. Good luck.
I guess the coming one should be EY as EY puts partner interview as a part of AC.

If I am right, I would say do not risk yourself... EY's AC is the most difficult one in Big 4.

And I think most of graduates would leave Big 4 to a bank of consulting after chartered. In this perspective, all the Big 4 would provide similar training and platform, although maybe KPMG would give you more exposure to prestigious banks.

I personally fancy EY, as I was impressed by its people - the best and nicest people I have ever seen.

But security of an offer comes first!
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify - I will not renege unless I receive an offer from the other firm. But is it likely that they will ask me about my previous internship and the outcome?

Original post by poony
I have been with one of the Big4 for over 10 years now, seen many graduates come and go, don't worry.

As with the issue of division, it's much easier to move when I joined and I have moved to other divisions once I fully qualified, I know it's more rigid nowadays but still possible.

Since you haven't been to the other firm, get a feel from the interview with the partner, no need to make up your mind yet, I hope you didn't tell them you have signed a contract with one of their major competitors. Good luck.

Original post by Londonburger
I guess the coming one should be EY as EY puts partner interview as a part of AC.

If I am right, I would say do not risk yourself... EY's AC is the most difficult one in Big 4.

And I think most of graduates would leave Big 4 to a bank of consulting after chartered. In this perspective, all the Big 4 would provide similar training and platform, although maybe KPMG would give you more exposure to prestigious banks.

I personally fancy EY, as I was impressed by its people - the best and nicest people I have ever seen.

Original post by enron
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify - I will not renege unless I receive an offer from the other firm. But is it likely that they will ask me about my previous internship and the outcome?

You can tell them you are holding the offer.
Original post by enron
Hi guys,

Would really like some advice on this.

I did an internship with a big 4 firm this summer and received a full time offer. I accepted it (signed contract) as I wasn't sure if I would get offers from anywhere else.

However, tbh I didn't think the firm was right for me (there is a slight difference with this one!). Secondly, I didn't get my internship in the division I originally applied to as vacancies got filled quickly .

Anyway...I still applied to some other firms and now I've got an assessment centre w/partner interview at another firm in the division I want.

From my research and own experience, firms do have waiting lists in case student renege. I was on one when I applied for the internship. I also am on good terms with the graduate recruiter and am sure he won't take it personally.

Has anyone here successfully reneged a Big 4 offer for another Big 4? I feel like I have to decide whether I should renege now before committing to preparing for the upcoming AC.

Cheers

If you want to turn down the offer then go for it, theyd have no worries about doing it if it was the other way round. I dont think you have to decide at all just yet, go to the AC and perform, try and forget the fact you already have a place secured because you might not perform as well if thats on your mind (subconsciously) which is something I do, I get a bit too comfortable because something is already in place.
They will have waiting lists but even if they dont they will fill the position, if you did the internship a few months ago and its for a graduate position next year then therell still be people applying now who didnt do an internship with them so there will be plenty of people they can choose from to take your place.
Original post by Londonburger

Hi

Glad to see your interested in EY, we have a great career guide that may be useful for gaining employability skills and interview tips.

You will also be able to access our latest vacancies.

For the guide please visit - http://ukcareerguide.ey.com/graduate/

Feel free to ask me any questions should you have any.

Thanks
Shani

Quick Reply

Latest