The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Radiography degree via access to HE

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me,
I have applied at Birmingham city university to study diagnostic radiography in 2013, also to derby uni too but I have be declined at derby as they say I have not met the min requirements ie maths and English gcse's, but I am studying an access to He course znd this includes maths and English level 2 this is what is listed as entry requirements on Derby's website but they rejected it?
im now worried Birmingham city might decline too, is there anyone here that can help me figure this out?
is the access course not enough?

thanks!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
best thing to do is call the uni's as they will understand what position you're in. radiography is based around physics, why dont you speak to the college about entering you in for the march gcse exams?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
thank you. i will do that.
Reply 3
Original post by gill14
thank you. i will do that.

By the way if your doing the maths GCSE I would advise you to start revising now.
Reply 4
Original post by gill14
I wonder if anyone would be able to help me,
I have applied at Birmingham city university to study diagnostic radiography in 2013, also to derby uni too but I have be declined at derby as they say I have not met the min requirements ie maths and English gcse's, but I am studying an access to He course znd this includes maths and English level 2 this is what is listed as entry requirements on Derby's website but they rejected it?
im now worried Birmingham city might decline too, is there anyone here that can help me figure this out?
is the access course not enough?

thanks!!!!

Hi gill,
First to thank you for raising the very important question.
Yes most of the universities,if you don't have GCSE English and Math at least 'C' or above will turn you down....shocking isn't it...because I have been the victim.
Second with the access course you gets level-2 which is accepted by very few universities.
Third:Once you got the Diploma your grade are for ever so you can't improve in the grades in Access Diploma...suppose they want 30 merits this yea so next year they will ask you to have 39 or more etc just explaining the trends of the university which is true .So in this condition you are out of the race unless you do some other course to fill up the gap of demand and the supply of grades.
Last but not least try to get full explanation from the university about the criteria....as most of the time their websites are not updated.
My best wishes withr you.
Hi Gill
I have an interview for therapeutic radiography next week and am also doing the access course, I contacted the admissions and asked them the same thing and they said they do accept GCSE equivalents if you are doing access.... hope this helps and good luck x
Reply 6
thanks everyone thats been greta help!! :-)
Hi Gill, i'm also doing an access course and have applied to do radiography at BCU. Have you heard anything yet, how is the access course going?

Thanks Rob
Reply 8
Hi there, I'm also doing an access course, BCU said the maths included within the course would be enough. I had my interview for radiography early December, still waiting for the decision
Hi heyhanna, who are you doing the access course with and how's it going? How was the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi, I'm doing it with dudley college, its going really well. How's yours going? Who are you doing your course with? The interview was really informal and everyone was friendly. They have given me a conditional offer
Hi, I am doing with distance learning centre, started Sept and need to finish by by may so it's a tough time table, nearly finished biology then onto research and stats. Have you applied anywhere else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi, I didn't apply anywhere else so the risk has paid off, thankfully. I got biology and medical physics on the go at the moment. Have you heard anything from BCU?
No not yet, still showing sent fur consideration on track, getting nervy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by heyhanna
Hi, I'm doing it with dudley college, its going really well. How's yours going? Who are you doing your course with? The interview was really informal and everyone was friendly. They have given me a conditional offer

Hi heyhanna,

i have applied to dudley college for the same course. What was on the entry test? I am stressing out as I know people who applied to places like solihull and they said the entry test was so hard! Was science part of the entry test or just english and maths?
Reply 15
Original post by Lauram90
Hi heyhanna,

i have applied to dudley college for the same course. What was on the entry test? I am stressing out as I know people who applied to places like solihull and they said the entry test was so hard! Was science part of the entry test or just english and maths?

Hi, It's just English and maths. From what I can remember the college wanted level 2 in English and level 1 in math but if you already have the gcse they accept you anyway. You can go onto the internet and do practice papers.
Reply 16
I already have English but not maths but I did it like 6 years ago!
How many days a week do you go? Im hoping to carry on working whilst I do the course. Did you find out straight away if you'd been accepted for the course or did you have to wait and find out?
I've been doing lots of practise but I'm just hoping I'm studying the right things. What sort of things were in the English test?
Thanks
Reply 17
I don't know if it changes this year but I go three days a week. There are four groups and you pick which one best suits you, they all have different days. The English test, from what I can remember, has spelling, punctuation and textual analysis. Can't remember much else.
Reply 18
That's great, thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by heyhanna
I don't know if it changes this year but I go three days a week. There are four groups and you pick which one best suits you, they all have different days. The English test, from what I can remember, has spelling, punctuation and textual analysis. Can't remember much else.

Are you doing the access to science or access to healthcare science?
I noticed the science at dudley does not include physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending