The Student Room Group

How to make friends in uni halls ?!?!

Hi :smile:

I'm at Uni in Coventry - 1st year student.

Basically my issue is that I haven't mingled well with people in my student accommodation block. I have made friends outside of halls and do go out with them but not all the time. My flat is on the last floor where nearly no one comes on and because I'm rarely in my flat I've missed out on meeting people there during the first couple weeks.

Tonight the fire alarm happened to go on so everyone came out the block and while they were all talking to eachother I realised that I didn't really know any of them. They all seem to be close and good friends now.

To cut it short we're now in mid November and would like to get to know people in my halls but just don't know how to anymore don't want to seem like a ''beg''. ITS FRIDAY NIGHT AND I'M BORED IN MY ROOM WHILE THEY ARE ALL GOING OUT OR PARTYING IN THE FLAT BELOW. SUCKS !
Reply 1
Swallow your pride, go in balls deep and speak to them, they're probably pretty nice people who'll end up inviting you somewhere to see what you're like.

No harm in trying, unless you completely **** up
Reply 2
Original post by Joe-
Swallow your pride, go in balls deep and speak to them, they're probably pretty nice people who'll end up inviting you somewhere to see what you're like.

No harm in trying, unless you completely **** up

Yeh but how ? Shall I just go down one day and introduce myself or .. ?
Reply 3
If you didn't want to go down the 'beg' route, I wouldn't recommend simply going down there and introducing yourself at this point in time.

Are there any other times you see anyone regularly on a social level or during a lecture? You could just try using the old technique of finding something you need help with and going over there and using it as an ice breaker.

e.g. Going up to one and asking them for some help then saying something along the lines of 'Oh aren't you that guy from the other flat' as if you were entirely unaware and you should be able to converse appropriately from there

Quick Reply

Latest