The Student Room Group

Stop volunteering?

My friends & family are advising me to put my volunteering work (at a hospice) on hold due to incoming exams (i'm retaking 2 units of bio, 1 unit chemistry, S1 and C3, unit4 chemistry)

Should I stop volunteering? Because I believe as long as I can manage my time well, it should be fine. But they are making me feel really guilty because to them, I'm "wasting my time" and it does upset me whenever they say that. It's def not a waste of time to me.
Reply 1
As long as you're prioritizing your exams and revision then it's not a problem. You're doing something worthwhile with your time that could enhance your skills (and uni application) and they should be encouraging you.
I believe you can make it work if you stick to your plans! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by nucleophile9
i believe you can make it work if you stick to your plans! :d

eh funny weh.
Reply 4
Original post by Soph.Jade
As long as you're prioritizing your exams and revision then it's not a problem. You're doing something worthwhile with your time that could enhance your skills (and uni application) and they should be encouraging you.

I think so too :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Meltingice
My friends & family are advising me to put my volunteering work (at a hospice) on hold due to incoming exams (i'm retaking 2 units of bio, 1 unit chemistry, S1 and C3, unit4 chemistry)

Should I stop volunteering? Because I believe as long as I can manage my time well, it should be fine. But they are making me feel really guilty because to them, I'm "wasting my time" and it does upset me whenever they say that. It's def not a waste of time to me.

Hey, I do a lot of volunteering at school and out of school, and I am retaking 9 exams in January. I was told to cut all my volunteering and start being 'selfish' and that Voluntary work isn't real work anyway, but after thinking about it I decided to just simply cut my hours down and explain to people I work for why and as soon as exams stop I will go back to normal hours, everyone was understanding (except a lady who runs Paired Reading at my school, after I asked if I could work on my Maths coursework, she told me that helping a girl that could already read was more important than my ALevels)
But do what you feel is right!
Reply 6
Personally I would. You could always have a word with them and explain- if your doing what your suppose to be doing i'm sure they will be more than happy to take you back when your exams are over and done with. Concentrate on what is more important IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending