The Student Room Group

Russell Group University

I am currently in year 11 and about to fill in my application for A-level. I have been told I am in the top 20 of my year so am in my schools 'Russell Group'. Basically people they want to go to one of these universities. It took me ages to come up with my A level choices and just as I had picked I basically got told I need to change them. I was told to get in they want you preferably to take three hard A levels and one soft if you have to. Before I was told this I had picked, Biology, PE, Maths and business studies. Would I still have a chance of getting into a Russell Group University with these A levels as two are soft? I still have no idea what I want to do at university or as a job either, but I would quite like to do something in sport or business.
Reply 1
Original post by wolfyo4
I am currently in year 11 and about to fill in my application for A-level. I have been told I am in the top 20 of my year so am in my schools 'Russell Group'. Basically people they want to go to one of these universities. It took me ages to come up with my A level choices and just as I had picked I basically got told I need to change them. I was told to get in they want you preferably to take three hard A levels and one soft if you have to. Before I was told this I had picked, Biology, PE, Maths and business studies. Would I still have a chance of getting into a Russell Group University with these A levels as two are soft? I still have no idea what I want to do at university or as a job either, but I would quite like to do something in sport or business.

I hear that business studies are less regarded by top unis... Choose economics instead. I dont know about pe... Bio and maths r great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics would be a good shout. It would be detrimental to your application to have PE and BS. Though it will vary dramatically on the uni's you apply to. With Bristol you would be at a disadvantage, but for others such as Liverpool it will matter less, as they say they don't consider subjects 'soft'.
Have a look at this: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
biology and maths are good.
business is quite soft and PE is very soft.
if you want to apply for something business related, i think you should choose economics as it is respected, and related to business. From what I have heard business Is seen as 'watered down economics'.
If you want to apply for something sport related, you would be better off doing a hard subject than doing PE.
So I think you should do:
maths, biology, economics, and something hard (but do PE if you really want to).
If you want to do something in sport or business, then take sport or business. There is no point in choosing subjects you don't want to do just because your school thinks you should choose harder ones. The very top universities might consider them as 'soft' subjects but there are plenty of Russell Group uni's that won't. If you're doing a subject you enjoy you're more likely to get a better grade in it :smile:
Economics instead of buisness studies is a great shout. I wish I'd taken economics instead of English Lit anyway, it sounds fascinating.
Reply 6
Original post by wolfyo4

the thing is, it's not solely about picking these 'hard' subjects. It's not necessarily about just getting into a 'Russell group' university.

Which course would you like to do, that's a more important question. The subjects you'll require will vary depending on course. Also, yes, perhaps Business studies is less regarded than Economics. But that doesn't mean you should just switch to Economics without doing research into the subject. It is VERY difficult. Any of the 'harder' subjects you choose will tend to require a lot of hard work to get the A or B you need for 'russell group' unis, and perhaps natural ability.

So really think, really think about what subjects you will choose, the sort of workload you can deal with. Perhaps it'd be better to go for Bio instead of PE, or Economics instead of Business. And consider possible courses you'd like to apply to before you choose your subjects. Actually have a look at prospectuses online, so that you can see the sorts of things these universities are looking for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Meat is Murder
Economics would be a good shout. It would be detrimental to your application to have PE and BS. Though it will vary dramatically on the uni's you apply to. With Bristol you would be at a disadvantage, but for others such as Liverpool it will matter less, as they say they don't consider subjects 'soft'.

Really? So Liverpool don't consider BS soft?
Reply 8
Original post by jakjak158
Have a look at this: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
biology and maths are good.
business is quite soft and PE is very soft.
if you want to apply for something business related, i think you should choose economics as it is respected, and related to business. From what I have heard business Is seen as 'watered down economics'.
If you want to apply for something sport related, you would be better off doing a hard subject than doing PE.
So I think you should do:
maths, biology, economics, and something hard (but do PE if you really want to).

What? They are just different. One isn't the basic form of the other. They just are about different things and require different skills!

Therefore economics is harder than business studies. It's not baby economics.

OP, also, don't do PE and biology. Choose one or the other.
Like everyone else has said Economics is usually more desirable than business studies, even in non Russell Group unis. But at the end of the day if PE and business studies are what you've set your heart on and you're more likely to do well in them than say economics and English lit, then go for it.
Reply 10
Original post by wolfyo4

If you want to do something in sport or business then start looking at uni courses at russell groups and see what subjects they need. If a business course requires business A level and you haven't taken it cos its 'soft' then you're screwed. I would take either business or economics and definitely take PE if you might want to do something sport related
I did Psychology A Level (alongside Geography and Gov & Politics A2, Physics and Critical Thinking AS). Psychology and Critical Thinking are quite commonly thought of as soft, and G&P occasionally gets that misconception too. I got offers from 4 Russell Group universities and 2 1994 Group universities (one was through clearing, but I still got into my firm . . . long story).

Unless you want to do one of the most competitive subjects, then doing those four A Levels won't necessarily rule you out of an RG uni. However, you'd be better off dropping either Business or PE after AS, unless you continue all four to A2.
Reply 12
If I were you, I wouldn't do a Business degree. They are very bad regarded and overall, MASSIVELY done. You wouldn't believe how many Business degrees are given each year in the UK compared to other degrees. The marked is saturated and the degree is a joke compared to a straight Economics degree.

Conclusion, go for Econ.
Reply 13
Original post by wolfyo4

If you want to go russell group, think about swapping either PE or business, preferably both, you'll get into some russell group unis with one soft subject, you're going to struggle with two.

This might help; http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/informed-choices/InformedChoices-latest.pdf check page 29
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MosterGuru
If I were you, I wouldn't do a Business degree. They are very bad regarded and overall, MASSIVELY done. You wouldn't believe how many Business degrees are given each year in the UK compared to other degrees. The marked is saturated and the degree is a joke compared to a straight Economics degree.

Conclusion, go for Econ.

I agree with this. A Business degree is a soft degree.
Most universities now don't consider some subjects "soft" (except perhaps Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham). The entry requirements they ask of you usually depends on what subject you want to study at university ie. lots of universities require you to take a science at a level to get onto a psychology course.
However, I got into Liverpool to do psychology with English Language, Religious Studies and History (and an AS in Drama) and those wouldn't be considered the toughest of subjects and are certainly not Science subjects so it all depends on which university it is.

Take what you are most interested in and what you enjoy most at A level as your mind will probably change about what you want to do and possibly where you want to go. You will get the best grades in subjects you like the most which is surely what matters (as well as enjoying your A levels as you are choosing to do them). Doing what you love will also help you decide what you want to do at university; you can't be expected to know what you want to do as a job until much later (unless you're really lucky).

I don't think getting into a Russell Group university should be the be all and end all as there are plenty of other good universities. But if you have your heart set on that and it really matters to you then don't worry at all as most Russell Group universities look at grades rather than worrying whether you are doing "soft" subjects or not. Taking what you are most interested in will not hinder your chances at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending