The Student Room Group

1st Year Doesn't Count Towards The Final Degree

Hi,

It turns out the 1st year of my BSc course doesn't count towards the final degree. You need 40% (pass) to go to the second year.

Thing that kind of pisses me off is the fact that we are getting too much work. I thought I was the only one feeling pissed off, but when I asked other students they too agree with me. In one of the module lectures, the lecturer even admitted that we may have been given too much work.

The fact that I did Mathematics and Computing for my A-Levels means that I am still surviving. Otherwise, I would have been suffering like hell.

Since the 1st year doesn't count, I was thinking off doing extra things on top of the studies.

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?
Reply 1
Original post by clubber
Hi,

It turns out the 1st year of my BSc course doesn't count towards the final degree. You need 40% (pass) to go to the second year.

Thing that kind of pisses me off is the fact that we are getting too much work. I thought I was the only one feeling pissed off, but when I asked other students they too agree with me. In one of the module lectures, the lecturer even admitted that we may have been given too much work.

The fact that I did Mathematics and Computing for my A-Levels means that I am still surviving. Otherwise, I would have been suffering like hell.

Since the 1st year doesn't count, I was thinking off doing extra things on top of the studies.

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?

Well, if you try and get a placement in the 2nd year, they may look at your first year results..

you never know.
Original post by clubber
Hi,

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?

If you want a Spring/Summer Internship, for a lot of them you're still going to need to have done fairly well in your first year (i.e. 2:1). Some even ask to know you're individual module results. Just saying.

I'd recommend starting driving though, if you don't already. Good to get that out of the way quickly, before your workload intensifies as time progresses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
The thing with the first year, is if you don't have a good grounding on that material you are going to find the second and third years a lot more difficult.
Reply 4
You seem to be rather confused in your OP

If you have too much work, why are you looking for suggestions about what to do on top of your work

When you say "it turns out" did you not really research this degree prior to applying/starting

And, as people have said ... whilst it does not contribute to the grade it will impact on choices for placements/internships/options for research projects etc
Reply 5
it does count, for three reasons. Firstly most students who fail their first year and have to resit have believed this about the first year not counting. Whilst it might not influence your final degree classification, every year I see students having to either repeat their first year or double up courses in their second year and work so much harder because they've believed the 'first year doesn't count'. Secondly it's also the case in many courses that you will not be able to complete some of the 2nd year courses unless you've finished the first year ones. Finally not working properly in the first year often (though not always) leads students into sloppy working methods and bad habits that can have a serious effect on their final degree classification. For example I get heartily sick of having to rectify bad referencing by second/third years because they've got into bad habits in their first year - and something like bad referencing can cost you a full class in your final degree classification.
Reply 6
Original post by clubber
Hi,

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?

People who say 1st year doesn't count are liars. It does't count towards your degree, but it counts. When an employer has two candidates, both of whom have attained firsts but one has a 2.2 in their first year and the other a 2.1 the employer will likely choose the latter (presuming all other variables are the same e.g. both have identical EC's).
Reply 7
Original post by clubber
Hi,

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?

Thats standard with nearly all courses at nearly all universities. It's just practice for 2nd and 3rd year. It's not really much different to school where you had homework that counted for nothing other than to get you into practice for GCSE/A-Level exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
The marks may not count but the knowledge will.
Original post by clubber
Hi,

For example,

Start driving

Find a job

What else could I do?

First year is the foundation of what's to come. In second and third year, you'll feel like you're doing twice the work if you don't remember your basic first year stuff (for maths, anyway).

Not to mention that grad schemes will take a look at your performance for all 3 years. If you go from 42% to 67% to 62%, it's pretty clear that you ****ed about in first year and didn't pay much attention.
This is a terrible attitude and a lot of people have said this when starting university but it is not a good attitude to hold

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending