The Student Room Group

Careers after Cancer

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer, I'm now hopefully on the mend and am trying to finish off my studies - final year.

Obviously I need to think about careers and start applying for grad schemes. The big question is how do explain the 1 year gap on my cv whilst I was having treatment(took a year out)? Some application forms specifically ask you to outline health conditions - clearly I can't lie but will employers be put off? What if it comes up in an interview?

Not long ago I did some fundraising for a charity involved in cancer. I raised a fair amount - it's a positive thing and I'd like to put it on my cv. But will employers put 2 + 2 together and work out why I did it and thus think taking me on would be a risk? On the otherhand it does show that I just want to get on with life and that I'm a positive person etc.
Reply 1
Firstly, I hope you're back to full health now, and well done for over coming such a nasty disease. Secondly, I would explain your situation in a paragraph or so, and state that if they have any more questions regarding your gap year, to contact you. I'm pretty sure they legally cannot discriminate, and if they do, its their loss, I'm sure you're an incredibly bright and determined individual. In all honesty, it may go in your favour, as they will see how hard working you are, and how much you want to succeed. Good luck.
Reply 2
I think you should be truthful.

Nothing you have mentioned is likely to deter anyone from employing you. Quite the opposite in fact.

Good luck.
You'll be fine getting into short term positions and ones that don't require you to have lots of responsibilities.

Getting more permanent and powerful positions could give you some difficulty. Employers aren't allowed to discriminate when hiring someone, but let's face it, they will. (If there is a woman who is married with a child and a woman who is single who both have the same qualifications/ experience, they will go for the single woman as it's more likely the married woman will have another child/ need more time off). Some employers may think that because you've had cancer, it's possible (god forbid) that it comes back and you'll need lots of time off work.

By all means you should write that you have had cancer, but if you feel they are discriminating against you because of that then make a fuss. Only tell them that you've had cancer if they ask for your health history or anything.

-- If it says 'Outline your health condition' then don't write it, but if it says 'Outline you previous health conditions' then you should.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by /begin{username}
Last year I was diagnosed with cancer, I'm now hopefully on the mend and am trying to finish off my studies - final year.

Obviously I need to think about careers and start applying for grad schemes. The big question is how do explain the 1 year gap on my cv whilst I was having treatment(took a year out)? Some application forms specifically ask you to outline health conditions - clearly I can't lie but will employers be put off? What if it comes up in an interview?

Not long ago I did some fundraising for a charity involved in cancer. I raised a fair amount - it's a positive thing and I'd like to put it on my cv. But will employers put 2 + 2 together and work out why I did it and thus think taking me on would be a risk? On the otherhand it does show that I just want to get on with life and that I'm a positive person etc.

There's not nearly the issue you seem to be thinking. Firstly employers are highly unlikely to ask openly about your health, they are on very dodgy legal ground if they do so. The only question they routinely ask is if you consider yourself to be disabled under the DDA. It doesn't matter what you answer, the answer to those questions stays with HR and doesn't go to the selectors.

If you feel you need to explain the missing year, then in your covering letter you put something like In 2009-10 I had to take a year out of my studies for complex treatment for a health condition from which I am now fully recovered. or something similar, otherwise, don't mention it at all.

Lots of people raise money for a variety of charities, employers don't put 2+2 together and think anything other than you have a social conscience.

I've been successfully employed following cancer treatment. I've never had an employer have an issue with it, some have known before hand, some haven't, all have known afterwards. I employ people now, it's not the sort of thing that is going to make a difference in an employment situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending