The Student Room Group

Cambridge Shadowing Scheme 2013

Hi,

This is the thread for the 2013 scheme. If you've come through Google in search of other people to chat too, you need the 2013 Cambridge Shadowing Scheme thread. :smile:

Was wondering if there are any past/present shadows or shadowers out there who can give me some advice; I really REALLY want to be accepted on the scheme, but will being from a Grammar School majorly reduce my chances? I'm not from a "well off" background, just lucky enough to live within the catchment area for the school.
What do you reckon?
Libby
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say just to apply and hope for the best. What have you got to lose?
Reply 2
yeah, that's what I thought :smile: thank you!
I'm applying for this too. don't know anyone who has been before but it's worth applying.
Reply 4
Hey! Just thought I'd start this thread so anyone who has applied to this scheme could talk to others who have too! Anyone at Cambridge currently, please do comment if you know what the scheme is like. It would be super helpful :smile:
Reply 5
I've applied too! Either for English or Linguistics :smile: When do we find out whether we are selected?
Reply 6
What subjects did you apply for?
Reply 7
I think it's before January 1st, it would be such a great opportunity :smile: What did you apply for and which school do you go to? :smile:
Reply 8
I applied for nat sciences and engineering as a back up. Dont think i will get on as my parents are graduates, but i do go to a ****ty state comp school. Just have to wait and see, good luck guys
Reply 9
Neither of my parents went to uni and I go to a girl's grammar school now but was at a really bad comp high school, my gcse's weren't the best either so I don't think I'm going to get in but worth a try
Reply 10
Yeah I'm not sure whether i'll get in either. Niether of my parents have good qualifications, but I go to a grammar school so I'm not sure. Plus I live in Devon, as opposed to a big city like London which supposedly gives me less of a chance :s-smilie: Oh well, no harm in trying! SO want to get accepted!
I know it would just be so most amazing thing ever. Yeah, better to try and fail than to not have tried at all.
Reply 12
Has anyone got the email yet?
Reply 13
No I haven't got any emails!
I was going to ask the same question! No I haven't either!
Nope I haven't!
Reply 16
I got in with Nat sciences on Jan 24-26, and I go to a normal school north Wales!I didn't get great gcses (4 a*'s, 6a's, 3b's), but some of my friends who got all a*'s didn't get in:/
Reply 17
Didn't get in :/ I want to know why :frown: do you think it is a bit due to luck? I got 5A*s and 5As GCSE and one of my friends got the same and got in :/ do you think it's partly due to only being available for one of the weeks as well?

I would of liked to have gone but it's not the end of the world and totally doesn't affect my applying or anything :smile:
I went on the shadowing scheme for Nat Sci this year, and it was amazing! you get to go to lectures with your shadow, and really get a feel for life at university. Use this opportunity to ask as many questions about the course, and wider reading that could benefit you as you prepare to apply for university.
I didn't get in either :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending