The Student Room Group

Most popular science degree?

I would like to know the answer to this and as there are no other threads I thought I would get the ball rolling. :smile::

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it would be biology.
Reply 2
That depends what you mean by "popular". If you are talking about the number of people studying the subject, then the answer will be very different to if you were talking about the science which most people want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Aquar
That depends what you mean by "popular". If you are talking about the number of people studying the subject, then the answer will be very different to if you were talking about the science which most people want to do.

Rather difficult to measure how many people want to study a subject though?
Reply 4
There are many factors including whether or not you class medicine or maths as a "science". :tongue:
Don't know whether you count it as a science in this context or if you just mean basically physics/chemistry/biology, but there's a pretty huge number of people studying psychology.
Reply 6
Original post by Meg94
There are many factors including whether or not you class medicine or maths as a "science". :tongue:

Maths is defiantly a science, medicine is debatable...
Reply 7
Original post by Aquar

I would like to know in numbers specificaly. :smile:
if your classing it as a science the medicine or engineering

if not then either: biomedical science or forensics (which is massively popular compared with a few years ago)
Reply 9
Are we talking about physical/natural sciences, or all forms of science? 'Cause I can make one hell of a case that law is a science :cool:
UCAS release the data of how many people applied to different subject areas, here. There's a spreadsheet (download link) where you can view it broken down by course. The data is there, you can decide for yourself what counts as a science :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by zaliack
Are we talking about physical/natural sciences, or all forms of science? 'Cause I can make one hell of a case that law is a science :cool:

I wouldnt think so but i would like to hear your argument. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by shahbaz
I wouldnt think so but i would like to hear your argument. :biggrin:

Okay, well, it may be a bit long winded, but here it goes:

Wikipedia has it under 'social sciences'.

BAM!

Spoiler

Therefore, following on from Wikipedia, law is a science - and law is perhaps the most popular degree :smile:
Original post by zaliack
Therefore, following on from Wikipedia, law is a science - and law is perhaps the most popular degree :smile:

Actually nursing is (see the link I posted) but law is second after that :smile:

Slight flaw in your argument though - laws can be changed, science can't :tongue:
Reply 14
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Medicine
Forensic Science

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Actually nursing is (see the link I posted) but law is second after that :smile:

Slight flaw in your argument though - laws can be changed, science can't :tongue:

Nursing's more popular than law? :eek: That's honestly surprising.

Science can't be changed, but our understanding of it can be. :cool:

There are a very limited number of laws which can't be changed though, because of how deeply embedded they are in international law (e.g. torture, genocide, self-determination, diplomatic law) although they can be added to (which would be the equivalence of building a Super Duper Large Hadron Collider).
Reply 16
Original post by zaliack
Nursing's more popular than law? :eek: That's honestly surprising.

Science can't be changed, but our understanding of it can be. :cool:

There are a very limited number of laws which can't be changed though, because of how deeply embedded they are in international law (e.g. torture, genocide, self-determination, diplomatic law) although they can be added to (which would be the equivalence of building a Super Duper Large Hadron Collider).

I wonder why Law is so popular in the first place?
If you're including psychology, then that is the most popular.
Reply 18
I'd include Psychology (as a social science though I guess not a pure science science) so i'd say that Psychology's the most popular

Other than that it'd be hard to say... I know a ton of people who applied for Medicine, but then Biochem/Biomed and Biology were also very popular
Reply 19
computer science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending