The Student Room Group

Should critical thinking become a compulsary lesson at school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cephalus
Not at all. If it were as academic as you suggest, then I wonder why a fair amount of unis exclude this subject when they make an offer

The subject is not about getting a place at uni, but developing yourself as a person to be better prepared in the world where the government and individuals are always trying to convince you of different ideas that may or may not be correct. It about seeing past lies and making better decisions. It would also improve society as people seek truth rather than walk about ignorant and uncaring of what is true or false.
Original post by lukas1051
I gained nothing from my A-level critical thinking. By age 16-18 people who know how to think critically do so anyway, and people who do not don't.

Agreed, except I think lessons do change this - just not critical thinking lessons. CT should be incorporated into all humanitarian subjects, not as a standalone skill
Original post by ashtoreth
i did wonder this. whether some just can and others, not. there are some on my course that cannot seem to adapt to this way of thinking for some reason. yet some can.

do you genuinely think teaching from a young age would change things? i.e. is this a skill that can be taught, or is innate?

It is a different way of thinking, so maybe the earlier people start learning the technique the better. After all people can learn any skill, but some will always be better than other, but at least they will know the skill to an adequate level.
Reply 23
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I've seen the **** you post on here and won't respond again after this.

Fair enough, I don't lack in people who bore me.
Reply 24
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
Explain...

universities don't give a **** about it
Reply 25
The subject is not about getting a place at uni, but developing yourself as a person to be better prepared in the world where the government and individuals are always trying to convince you of different ideas that may or may not be correct. It about seeing past lies and making better decisions. It would also improve society as people seek truth rather than walk about ignorant and uncaring of what is true or false.

But you suggested it as an extra A level, which is quite alot of work
Critical thinking is an important life skill like maths or english. Maybe it should be taken upto GCSE and then you can decide to drop it. It could also be a fortnightly thing so it hardly affects the current curriculum.
Original post by FloydRix
universities don't give a **** about it

Its not about what the universities think. Education is not just about getting into university. Critical thinking is a valuable skill a person will need to use for the rest of their lives.
It is a different way of thinking, so maybe the earlier people start learning the technique the better. After all people can learn any skill, but some will always be better than other, but at least they will know the skill to an adequate level.

true enuff.

personally i think it's a great skill to have and would agree that at least having it to adequate levels is better than not having it at all.
Original post by Cephalus
But you suggested it as an extra A level, which is quite alot of work

Okay, so maybe not an A level but a smaller qualification, but there has to be an incentive to take it I guess.
If we're talking about A-Level style Critical Thinking (I did the AS), then no, it's a load of tosh and utterly useless.

Instead, the ability to question what you are told and to critically assess information should be embedded within other curriculum subjects e.g. science, RE and history.
Reply 31
They really should, but first, they should scrap the current CT qualifications and make one that doesn't suck ass.
Reply 32
Its not about what the universities think. Education is not just about getting into university. Critical thinking is a valuable skill a person will need to use for the rest of their lives.

universities don't care = people don't care about it

why waste time and effort when it's not helping your university application
No, I don't think it should.

I did AS Critical Thinking and I'm now doing A2. It's enjoyable but not objectively that useful to everyone in its current taught form because it's something you can either do or you can't by the time you get to that age. Tbh, you can either spot the flaws and write good arguments already or you can't.

It can't be taught in just one subject: thinking critically is important and it's something that must be encouraged in all subjects from an early age. You have to want to do it, to be willing to be rational and to question things. It would be a waste of time to force people to go to the lessons if they didn't want to go.
Number 5 is more of your personal opinion as someone who has done critical thinking my faith has grown not from studying critical thinking in fact the skills I learnt never made me want to question my "religious" beliefs.
Original post by FloydRix
universities don't care = people don't care about it

why waste time and effort when it's not helping your university application

I'm glad I don't have such a narrow minded viewpoint as you.
Reply 36
We already learn about cultures and people in RE. The critical thinking is already imbedded in english, history, maths and science. Do we really need critical thinking as well?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 37
I agree with you, but I wouldn't advise the A-level.
I did the AS and it was all about knowing how to answer the questions instead of actually understanding the topics (actual content isn't very tough either). Also by that age, you either have the skills or you don't.
I'd like to see the basic critical thinking skills being implemented into education from a young age.
Absolutely. We still are being manipulated by the government. Giving these skills might open up opportunities and innovation; by critically looking at something from all angles, we might actually make some progress.

I'm doing my degree in Primary Education and this is one of the main topics we have had to discuss. There is too much of an emphasis on generalising the population by standards and testing; Paul Robinson (The MLK of Education :wink: ) said it to be like a 'production line' churning out clones to keep up with standards.
Original post by philistine
Fact: most people are idiots.

Fact: if one were to incorporate critical thinking into the curriculum, only the sedulous and more diligent of students would make any use of it (the same, most likely, who would benefit from education in the first place).

Conclusion: waste of time, money, and effort. Let the underachievers and mentally-challenged believe what they will, and those who are willing to question... well- question.

Disagree with that.

The majority of people who question come from questioning families.

The majority of people who accept statements without questioning come from religious families.

Teaching critical thinking won't level out the playing field completely but it'll narrow the gap a little bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending