The Student Room Group

put on 5KG of muscle!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Just to add: Stallone swears by incline press for a more "athletic" shape
I quite like inclines after working out how you're meant to involve the chest

Still weak mind you..
so from reading your responses i should be hitting the gym 3 times a week doing full body work outs as well as eating every 3 hours and be drink protein shakes before a work out. i understand that i will probably put on some fat but that is fine i could burn that off over time. i was wondering if you guys knew of a place i could buy some cheap protein shakes as a student money is very tight.
Original post by paddy__power
I think it is highly unlikely that you will put on anything like that much muscle in that period of time. Jump on a decent beginner program, eat lots of chicken and see how it goes (Y)

For a novice it's really not that difficult. 1lb a week for 4 months is 12lbs. 5kg is 11lbs.

So yeah, not that outrageous.
Original post by RollerBall
For a novice it's really not that difficult. 1lb a week for 4 months is 12lbs. 5kg is 11lbs.

So yeah, not that outrageous.

Good luck putting on 1 pound of muscle a week.

I'm not saying it is impossible because I'm not qualified to make that judgment so if you, or he can do it then more power to you but often what people think is muscle isn't. This aside, if it is possible it certainly is difficult.

Whatever though - I'm not overly bothered what people want to persuade themselves they can do I just don't think it is helpful to foster probably unrealistic expectations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paddy__power
Good luck putting on 1 pound of muscle a week.

I'm not saying it is impossible because I'm not qualified to make that judgment so if you, or he can do it then more power to you but often what people think is muscle isn't. This aside, if it is possible it certainly is difficult.

Whatever though - I'm not overly bothered what people want to persuade themselves they can do I just don't think it is helpful to foster probably unrealistic expectations.

Yes, I know what I said. 1lb of muscle per week for 4 months as a total beginner is really not that difficult. The average is 0.5-1 lb a week with it decreasing over time. Had he been training six months this would have been unrealistic, yes, but for now really not. I'm not saying he will but it is certainly possible if he sleeps well, eats right and trains hard.

If you're really bothered I can link you some clinical papers showing muscle growth figures. You're correct he'll put on more weight than that if he wants to attain optimal muscle growth (probably around 7kg if his diet/sleep/routine is sound) with 2kg of that being fat but he can cut that down pretty easily over about a month.

I've even done it myself, I put on about 4.5kg of lean muscle mass in a 4 month period. I measured with calipers before and after and weighed in the gym when I started and at 4 months. I did put on about 2% BF though in the process which I've since re-cut down.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
Yes, I know what I said. 1lb of muscle per week for 4 months as a total beginner is really not that difficult. The average is 0.5-1 lb a week with it decreasing over time. Had he been training six months this would have been unrealistic, yes, but for now really not. I'm not saying he will but it is certainly possible if he sleeps well, eats right and trains hard.

If you're really bothered I can link you some clinical papers showing muscle growth figures. You're correct he'll put on more weight than that if he wants to attain optimal muscle growth (probably around 7kg if his diet/sleep/routine is sound) with 2kg of that being fat but he can cut that down pretty easily over about a month.

I've even done it myself, I put on about 4.5kg of lean muscle mass in a 4 month period. I measured with calipers before and after and weighed in the gym when I started and at 4 months. I did put on about 2% BF though in the process which I've since re-cut down.

1) I think our definitions of difficult are different. You begin by saying it isn't difficult and end by saying that in order to do it he has to satisfy various conditions (and frankly there are other conditions to be added to that list) which is going to be difficult, especially for somebody who had to make this kind of thread in the first place.
2) 4.5kg in 4 months is different to 5kg in 3 - 4 months. Calipers can also be an inaccurate measure but you will know that anyway and really that isn't the point here. If you managed those gains then that's great but I still think the OP has unreasonable expectations because a vast majority of people attempting to gain that much I think would fail.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what we think. We should advise the OP about his training options and just wish him luck, hoping that he will do the best he can - whether or not that means meeting an arbitrary target. :dontknow:
i set a goal that i thought was just out of my reach, so if i do fail to reach it i would hope to get close to it. i don't have any really expectation as i am a novice an am just researching thing currently until my gym membership kick in December and i completely understand that if i do put on 5KG that some of that will be fat. p.s. anyone know a site i can purchase cheap protein shake that are actual good. :smile:
Original post by Ezio Auditore da Firenze
hey guys

i want to put on 5 kg muscle in around about 3 to 4 months. i am 5'9 weigh about 62kg and i am a novice in the gym. i have a bit of an odd body shape in that my lower body is larger then my upper body especially my arms are really skinny so i want to increase those within this time frame. i understand there would be a lot of variables which will affect the outcome such as how much i eat and how often i go to the gym but i was wondering if some one could help me figure out some sort of work out program. :smile:

Machine in gym said I gained 5kg of muscle in 2 months. But of course I’ve went gym everyday of a week for the last 2 months and I’ve worked diligently hard on it aswell🤘🏻

Quick Reply

Latest