The Student Room Group

AAA offer = A*A*B ?

Warwick sent me a letter saying their standard offers have changed from AAB to AAA. This annoyed me becos I was using Warwick as a 'backup'. If I achieve A*A*B (with a B in Physics and A*'s Maths and Further Maths) will I still get the place on results day? Considering that I am 1 grade 'above'..
Reply 1
Strange predictions like A*A*B, A*AC, AAD etc (I mean where there's a really big range of grades) are always a problem when applying to Universities that work on grade offers as opposed to a points system, because most standard offers are either all the same grades or one of the grades might be one higher or one lower than the others, e.g. A*AA, AAA, AAB, ABB etc.

I've had many friends apply with strange predictions hoping they will "even" out. (e.g. one friend was predicted A*AB applying to an AAA course, hence thought that the A* and B would cancel each other out to AA) But when she emailed (and a couple others) to Unis to ask if this was correct and she still had a shot, they replied saying "you don't meet our requirements and we do not operate on a points system and therefore would not consider your application".

Now, you still have an offer as I understand it. That hasn't been withdrawn, but it is still so annoying of them to change it after you have applied. My friends asked about their offers before they'd been given an offer, so I understand this is a different situation. They gave you a place knowing your predictions. But I can't help but think that they would have changed the offer to A*AB with knowing what your predictions were.

The only way you will know is by emailing Warwick. Two A*s may mean that you will still be accepted. But technically you fall short of meeting all three of the grade requirements. The first two grade requirements (AA) you would meet soundly with A*A*, however the third grade requirement (A) you wouldn't meet with a B. Does that make sense? Yes, people have fallen short and still been accepted but there really is no guarantee. All I can say is there is a chance you will be accepted, but nobody will know until the day.

Like I said you can try e-mailing them saying you applied understanding the standard offer was AAB, now that it's AAA you're not sure you can meet it and will you be accepted if you fell short but still gained A*A* on results day?

Quick Reply

Latest