The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

2nd Year Energy Prices

Hey guys,

Looking for some help from people in second year plus really. Me and my group of friends are now looking at houses for next year (getting in there early) and are starting to wonder/need to know how much people pay for there gas electricity and water?

Most places we have found include TV and internet which is a bonus but none have gas electricity and water. So how much are people playing per year or week if they know their figures?

Cheers
Matt
Reply 1
I live in a 6 bed house and my gas and electricity bill that has just come out was £86. (September-November) We are with e.on.

Just a tip it is WAY too early to consider even looking at housing, wait until December after Christmas. My friends tried to go today for their third year and most of the agents and companies like Manchester student homes haven't even put together their property lists. It's still too early to say who will be keeping their house on for the following year too, there is so much housing in Manc!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Ditto what tillytots said with regards to when you should be looking for housing. Very little is on the market at this time of year.

With regards to bills, based on my 7 bed house, we've found that we're paying £100pm for water (non-matered) between us, and then our direct debit for gas and electricity combined is something like £220pm. However, it remains to be seen if the DD is accurate - we may have to top that up later on or get a rebate. Fibre optic internet (for the point of comparison) with free weekend calls is £34.50pm from Sky.

When you do move in, don't forget to switch your gas and electricity suppliers, and check to see if you can get free insulation installed. We've done both, and saved an estimated £1000 off our energy bills over the course of the year.
Reply 3
6 people house

Bills include:
1. TV license (fixed)
2. Water (fixed)
3. Sky Broadband, TV + Phone (sorta fixed)
4. Gas (variable)
5. Electricity (variable)

Over the whole year it averaged to £8.93 per week per person. (I kept a spreadsheet, I'm just that sad.)
(edited 11 years ago)
The bills in my house (three bed end terrace) come to:

~£90 per month for gas/electric (Eon)
~£25 per month for water (United Utilities)
~£12 per month for TV licence
~£35 per month for internet/phone (Plusnet)

All the bills are paid by direct debit so we get discounts and it's the same every month - no surprises! It works out at about £13 per person per week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending