The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
The jury don't do the sentencing.... :confused:

Fine, then just jail the judge and whoever set the guidelines for murder sentencing. Giving anything less than a whole life sentence for murder is criminal.
Original post by Sephiroth
Fine, then just jail the judge and whoever set the guidelines for murder sentencing. Giving anything less than a whole life sentence for murder is criminal.

It is a whole life 'sentence' in the strict sense. He will be considered for release at the end of 14 years. If he is released he will be on license for the rest of his life.

However I appreciate that you were getting at the fact that he did not receive a whole life 'tariff'. All I would say to this is that not all murders are the same, so I'd urge caution on anyone who would suggest that every murder conviction should result in a whole life tariff.
14 years is the minimum. He may be out in 14 (I hope not) or he may be out in 20 or whatever they decide.

The sentencing guidelines are a joke. Unfortunately, there's very little the judge can do about this. He has to follow the guidelines.
(edited 11 years ago)
It is a whole life 'sentence' in the strict sense. He will be considered for release at the end of 14 years. If he is released he will be on license for the rest of his life.

However I appreciate that you were getting at the fact that he did not receive a whole life 'tariff'. All I would say to this is that not all murders are the same, so I'd urge caution on anyone who would suggest that every murder conviction should result in a whole life tariff.

Of course not all murderers are the same but a whole life tariff should still be the minimum sentence. What we should be looking at is how to punish these worse murderers even more. I suppose you could make the prison conditions very harsh for the worst murderers.
Original post by Sephiroth
Of course not all murderers are the same but a whole life tariff should still be the minimum sentence. What we should be looking at is how to punish these worse murderers even more. I suppose you could make the prison conditions very harsh for the worst murderers.

No, that would be totally unacceptable.
No, that would be totally unacceptable.

No it wouldn't. Prison life is way too easy in this country. Smaller cells, more use of solitary confinement, less "luxuries" like TVs, more basic meals, more working hours in prison are just a small number of things that are needed. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

We're not talking about people jailed for petty crime here, we're talking about the most heinous of crimes. There would be so few we'd only need one such prison in the whole country. Stick it on some rock off northwestern Scotland out the way or something.
The OP is just.. ridiculous. Laughable. A very dim child. A troll, also. Stupid in a very literal sense.

One day he will lose someone close to him - possibly through an accident, possibly through violence, possibly illness - and on that day I hope he learns something about compassion.

No one "deserves" what happened to Phillip Sherriff. What an absolutely idiotic thing to say, and I hope it comes back to bite you.
Reply 47
If your hitting someone with a bottle you have to know there's a chance the bottle will break and do serious damage..

It's not like punching someone. I can see a case for manslaughter not murder, but it's a fine line and Id trust the juries decision given they had all the facts.

Latest

Trending

Trending