The Student Room Group

How lenient are some unis on entry requirements?

I'm predicted BBB in maths, psychology and ICT but I want to apply to Liverpool uni to do maths and their entry requirements are ABB (A in maths) and their number of applicants to number of places isn't great. My personal statement isn't the best to be honest but it's not the worst either.

Next question-> I'm also contemplating dropping AS further maths since it's taking up so much time and isn't strictly a requirement, it just looks better if I have it so opinions on this would be nice too :smile: (the bit about predicted grades is based on if I do drop further maths)
Original post by jess151
I'm predicted BBB in maths, psychology and ICT but I want to apply to Liverpool uni to do maths and their entry requirements are ABB (A in maths) and their number of applicants to number of places isn't great. My personal statement isn't the best to be honest but it's not the worst either.

Next question-> I'm also contemplating dropping AS further maths since it's taking up so much time and isn't strictly a requirement, it just looks better if I have it so opinions on this would be nice too :smile: (the bit about predicted grades is based on if I do drop further maths)

I guess it depends on the university and the course as well as other applicants, they were a few examples of this on results day this year in the "A level" section missing offers but still getting in.

I would think if your predicted BBB and the requirements are ABB you may get an offer.

As for futher maths i cant really speak about it but i think its fairly hard, although some guys in my class last year knew a lot about A2 maths due to taking AS further.

Best of luck :smile:
While most universities will show some leniencey you're unlikely to be lucky with BBB for an ABB with A in maths offer. If you had ABC or A*CC with the A in maths then you might be more lucky but generally if a university asks for an A in a particular subject then they're unlikely to accept lower grades in that subject (although they might be more flexible around the other A levels).

From http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10006842-BSC_MATH it looks like they accepted 2 people with BBB last year - but the chances are they had additional maths qualifications. I wouldn't put any guarantees on it.

If you think you can get your maths grade up to an A and exceed your predictions then it is probably worth applying. Likewise for a maths degree then further maths A or AS level is a good idea if you have the opportunity. If you have the opportunity and choose NOT to take FM then any admissions tutor will have questions in their mind over your commitment to the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending