The Student Room Group

Right turn from middle lane

Hi,

Please help.
Three lane road (B456 next to A40, close to Ealing Central Sports Ground, traffic lights present). Left lane - only turning left, middle lane - no markings whatsoever, right lane - only turning right. I was a passenger and the questions is - was it ok to take the turn right from the middle lane? Was stopping necessary?
People always turn there either way from the middle lane, even police man said it's ok to turn. Was it?
The other driver went straight from the right lane, so his mistake was obvious, but the insurance company wants to go half & half.
Pls advise,
Thanks.
Reply 1
Based on the fact that both the left and right turnings from the junction have two lanes, and that there's no markings in the middle lane, I'd say it was acceptable to go left, right or straight on from the middle lane.

If it was critical that the middle lane was straight on ONLY, they would have put an arrow there.
Reply 2
Original post by Kepa
Hi,

Please help.
Three lane road (B456 next to A40, close to Ealing Central Sports Ground, traffic lights present). Left lane - only turning left, middle lane - no markings whatsoever, right lane - only turning right. I was a passenger and the questions is - was it ok to take the turn right from the middle lane? Was stopping necessary?
People always turn there either way from the middle lane, even police man said it's ok to turn. Was it?
The other driver went straight from the right lane, so his mistake was obvious, but the insurance company wants to go half & half.
Pls advise,
Thanks.

So you're saying:
you turned right from the middle lane
he went straight on, and he was in the right lane?
and you collided?

how many lanes does the road on the right have? is it two lanes?

From what i can gather, i think he's in the wrong, not you, but any chance you could give us more details?? :smile:
Reply 3
I may have missed something here, unless the the lane rules you are referring to are completely different to where you are.. but shouldnt you have been in the right hand lane to turn right.
and what this other driver did, doest seem dangerous if he had only gone straight ahead, as people turning right shouldnt be in the middle lane anyway...
Reply 4
was it this junction?

google maps

my honest opinion is 50/50 is very fair UNLESS the guy in the right lane was trying to go straight across - ie cut into middle lane to join the A40 - in which case it is completely his fault. I personally wouldn't dream of turning right from the middle lane on that junction, it's too narrow over the bridge & just asking for an accident to happen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending