The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Allan87
does this kinda career even pay anymore or does it rate as *just another* 9-5 these days? (After seeing the IB salaries I was kinda gutted lol)

depends if you're any good! :wink:

A.
Reply 2
Well I doubt ill take a company public so whats left lol
Reply 3
Allan87
does this kinda career even pay anymore or does it rate as *just another* 9-5 these days? (After seeing the IB salaries I was kinda gutted lol)

You must remember dude, alot of computing jobs are being outsourced to other countries like India/china since there are a plentora of code monkey’s that will work for banana’s (no pun intended), however if you doing comp sci, then it pays to have some sort of business skills hence doing a business minor will give you the edge when finding computing related job, with some time high salaries, also to earn high wages in computing industry it pays to be the best and go to a top uni, so if you go to a uni that is < 20 in the leuge rankings then forget about it well unless you have UBER experience in the computing field
Reply 4
A Computer Science degree is a very versatile degree to have and it doesn't limit you to just programming / tech jobs.

I for instance opted for Chartered Accountancy and I know a few other friends and colleagues who also entered finance related jobs. Another very attractive option is to go into consulting, this is where computer grads are highly sought after, especially in places like Accenture, PA Consulting, Cap Gemini, Logica CMG and other consultancies, which is where the majority of my friends and colleages went, all earning pretty decent salaries.

So yes a computer science degree from a well established university should put you in a good position and should enable you to earn decent salaries. If however if you want to enter IB, then I would recommend you opt for a Mathematics / Economics / Finance degree instead, although a computer science degree from Imperial / Oxbridge should be fine (but don't take my word for it), but for other finance related jobs such as Accountancy a computer science degree should be more than sufficient.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
KingsComp
A Computer Science degree is a very versatile degree to have and it doesn't limit you to just programming / tech jobs.

I for instance opted for Chartered Accountancy and I know a few other friends and colleagues entered finance related jobs. Another very attractive option is to go into consulting, this is where computer grads are highly sought after, especially in places like Accenture, PA Consulting, Cap Gemini, Logica CMG and other consultancies, which is where the majority of my friends and colleages went, all earning pretty decent salaries.

So yes a computer science degree from a well established university should put you in a good position and should enable you to earn decent salaries. If however if you want to enter IB, then I would recommend Mathematics / Economics / Finance degrees instead, but for other finance related jobs such as Accountancy a computer science degree should be more than sufficient.

Hope that helps :smile:

what about a business computing degree? such as this

http://www.cs.aston.ac.uk/proginfo/cfbinfo.php

would be suitable to go into accountancy/finance because i have a lot of interest in this sort of career , however i lacked the grades (I got ABC) to get into a accounting course, however I will be doing a maths a level in my placement yr so hopefully that should at least boost my C.V

Latest

Trending

Trending