The Student Room Group

Work clashing with ball, what should i do?

Hi, i wasn't sure where to post this so i thought this was the best place. The thing is i just have a new job working on Saturday and Sunday afternoons near my home in Somerset, I am at uni in Plymouth and i have decided that for my last three weeks at uni i will keep up my job and come home every weekend to work. What i didn't realise when i took the job was that my uni May Ball was on a Saturday and on Saturdays i dont finish work til 6:30. The ball starts at 7 so if i work and then my mum drives me down i will arrive for about 8:30 and miss the meal and part of the ball. Other options are finding someone to swap my hours with, asking if i can take that day as holiday or pulling a sicky.

It is probably going to be extremely difficult to find someone who will swap their hours to work a Saturday, and my mum thinks it is dangerous pulling a sicky so early on in the job especially as i will probably be extremely hungover and zombieish at work the next day and i don't know what the rules are on holiday time at my work.

I just wanted to know what ideas other people had, i don't want to miss my ball and i don't want to turn up late cos before i got the job i'd already planned to go in a group with my girlfriends and i don't want them to feel let down.
Reply 1
Take the day as holiday or if you've only started or been there a week then tell them you already had plans one night and you need to arrange to finish earlier.
You may be able to swop shifts with someone who starts and finishes earlier than you, if you can't get time off or anything. Not the best solution, but it would mean you could at least go to the ball. I did this for people quite a lot, i was flexible about when I workjed and swopped shifts quite a bit.
Reply 3
Kill you supervisor, and use the remains as a future warning.
Reply 4
Just tell them the reason you need it off...if they don't like it quit. Losers.
Ask if you couls swap to an earlier shift maybe?

I'd try and pull a sicky though; even though you're new doesn't stop you from being ill. Disguise the hangover as being ill :biggrin:

I pulled a sicky from work to go to Alton Towers last year and they were fine!
Reply 6
Do anything to get out of work, the meal part and all of a ball is a wicked night.

You will regret it if you don't go..
just phone in sick and next day dont be weak.
Reply 8
It is like a modern day cinderella, do what she did. It all turned out well for her in the end.
rewmck
It is like a modern day cinderella, do what she did. It all turned out well for her in the end.

England is kind of short on fairies ATM though...

If possible, swap shifts, or just take it off as a holiday or a sickie, what hours do you work? You may be able to get a little better in time for work :wink:
Reply 10
You could get someone to cover the last 2 hours of your shift. Most people wouldn't be up for the whole shift.
slugonamission
England is kind of short on fairies ATM though...

If possible, swap shifts, or just take it off as a holiday or a sickie, what hours do you work? You may be able to get a little better in time for work :wink:

Are you crazy? Fairies don't exist, I was just joking, but you.....you are insane!
Reply 12
i'm calling in sick for my may ball

Latest

Trending

Trending