The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
goblin paste
You are a prime example of the reason why the general working class population holds students in their eyes with iron contempt; why students nowadays are afraid to enjoy the British cultural tradition of walking into a traditional public house; why they have to be careful about which council estate they venture through at night. And rightly so. It almost seems like university is becoming an outlet for snobbish "intellectuals" who have merely had the privilege to have been conditioned into being able to jump through hoops in the forms of assignments and examinations, and fake their way through university, having no ability to think outside the box whatsoever.

You can congratulate yourself all you like on your personal victories of intellectual magnificence, that you have indeed got to university! However, when you're incorporated into the real world, you can buy yourself a neat little cottage in the suburbs, far away from the estates that house the people who you have come to prudishly detest and turn your back on, yet you cannot and will not seperate yourself from them completely.

Oh no!!! You mean I can't go to pubs and council estates??? My social life is sooo ruined! And actually I was thinking more London penthouse. But anyway, I like being an intellectual snob. And, I dont think I'm great, and I wont be congratulating myself unless I get a first.
Reply 41
When i was in year 13 and part of my gap year, i worked at Halfords (i have changed job now) and it was an experience to see the other side of life. It really did make me appreciate my studies and glad that i am capable of studying hard as well as being intelligent. Personally, it was only part time and i did it for the money but it did not interest me in the slightist. On a side note, one of our supervisors was a uni graduate and another was a graduate from Edinburgh who did engineering. 2 current uni students working there part time so it was the dropouts option. There were other 6th form students who worked there. But it is gratifying to know that i will be going into a highly respected and well paid profession! One does get funny/dodgy looks, people assume you are a dead end worker but its just the nature of the job i suppose. After a while you just get used to it and dont care.
Reply 42
naivesincerity
I'm not arguing over whether they're intelligent. You missed my point, which is that you're pompous, and you think just because you don't have a high opinion of their job, it gives you the right to slate them. It's called courtesy. My guess is that if you were that assured about your background, you wouldn't be such a ******

I have no problems being pompous. I believe anyone has the right to slate anyone for any reason. Courtesy is my choice and I choose not to use it in this case. And thanks for the psychoanalysis, but I need to see your pHD and where its from before I take it seriously.
allymcb2
I have no problems being pompous. I believe anyone has the right to slate anyone for any reason. Courtesy is my choice and I choose not to use it in this case. And thanks for the psychoanalysis, but I need to see your pHD and where its from before I take it seriously.

Then you're a . Probably a totally joke in reality. Lets hear all your mighty credentials then? Where are you going to uni? How do you propose to afford a 'London penthouse'?
Snobs are detestable, wannabee-but-not quite-made-it snobs detestable and also deluded.
Reply 44
I am quite a home-bird and where I live is kind of my number 1 priority, so london penthouse afforded by having no social life until I'm about nighty. My academic creds are nothing to brag about (I am not likely to get a first) and if you really wanna know you can check my profile.
Reply 45
naivesincerity
Snobs are detestable, wannabee-but-not quite-made-it snobs detestable and also deluded.

LOL I love snobs...at least they have standards, and not double standards. Not-quite-made it snobs are only deluded if they are not aware that they havent made it (and I am painfully aware of the fact)
allymcb2
so london penthouse afforded by having no social life until I'm about nighty. .

The world's missing out:rolleyes: In a few years time you'll realise what a **** you are, btw.
Reply 47
I REALLY won't. Lots of people are snobby and old, its not a maturity thing, its a personality thing.
allymcb2
LOL I love snobs...at least they have standards, and not double standards. Not-quite-made it snobs are only deluded if they are not aware that they havent made it (and I am painfully aware of the fact)

If you had any real elitist standards, the last thing you'd be doing is using acronyms to express yourself, LOL.
Reply 49
true, lol duely retracted
Reply 50
and replaced with 'how hilarious, darling'
I made you reply with a double posting, clearly you're showing weakness; your elitist credibility must be called into question.
Reply 52
I am a computer engineer/IT consultant and also have to put up a with a few know it all customers. These are the worst and I usualy kind fix it the problem with these customers because they don't let you, when the customers just let you do want you want you can always fix the problem.

Luckily I get very customers like this. I find the best customers are the ones that know a bit about computers because they know I know what I am doing and I can usualy get a lot work done very quickly with this sort of customer because you're not spending all day trying to explain somthing.

I really hate some of these students who think they above the rest of us yet have never done a days work in their life. I have a degree, I run my own business, I am no better as a person than anybody working in McDonalds or driving buses. In fact without those workers I would be starving and I would not be able to get to jobs :biggrin:
Reply 53
goblin paste
I made you reply with a double posting, clearly you're showing weakness; your elitist credibility must be called into question.

nah, just pressed post before I finished typing. I often do that. I am an impatient creature.
Reply 54
AT82
I am a computer engineer/IT consultant and also have to put up a with a few know it all customers. These are the worst and I usualy kind fix it the problem with these customers because they don't let you, when the customers just let you do want you want you can always fix the problem.

Luckily I get very customers like this. I find the best customers are the ones that know a bit about computers because they know I know what I am doing and I can usualy get a lot work done very quickly with this sort of customer because you're not spending all day trying to explain somthing.

I really hate some of these students who think they above the rest of us yet have never done a days work in their life. I have a degree, I run my own business, I am no better as a person than anybody working in McDonalds or driving buses. In fact without those workers I would be starving and I would not be able to get to jobs :biggrin:

You clearly are better than them, and you could just bring a sandwich from home.
A nervous twitch, more like.
Reply 56
Sorry, I only get a nervous twitch when criticized by oxbridge dons. Unless you fall into that category, not a possibility.
So you'll dismiss my argument a priori like a true intellectual!
Reply 58
allymcb2
You clearly are better than them, and you could just bring a sandwich from home.

Why I just happened to be bought up in a background where education was very important and my parents had a little bit of money (not much) but we had holidays and days out which is a lot more than other people get.

I just know how much harder it is if you are bought up in a very working class background to get qualifications and get out of the class trap.

Luckily it is getting easier easier and for poorer people to get decent education though:wink:

I think the only thing you can really look down on is a lack of ambition but that dosn't always have to mean a good job.

If people are happy working for McDonalds then people can't really look down on that.
Reply 59
You can. And I do.

Latest

Trending

Trending