The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Angel_Cake
When I worked at Tesco as a cashier, a customer once said to me "bet you wish you'd worked harder at school now you're stuck here, don't you". I was only part-time and had just done my GCSEs, so was able to tell him my grades which soon shut him up. But I couldn't believe how rude he was - so what if someone leaves school at 16 if that's what they want to do? I hate people who think they're better than others for such a stupid reason as how much money they earn.

Well said.
Reply 101
naivesincerity
No, you're saying it's wrong to look down on them for particular reasons.

In which case it is not socially acceptable to look down on someone for looking down on someone because of their intelligence. It is socially acceptable to dislike them for it and have little respect for them, even be condescending but not 'consider them inferior' or look down on them.
You didn't answer the other posts...
Reply 103
naivesincerity
Although, before, you said your academic record was poor. Not telling porkies are we?

My academic record IS poor. My letter from Oxford emphasised that I did well in the interview and that they thought I had potential. I believe I will be below average at Oxford and it is unlikely I will get a first. I dont believe 7A*s and 4As at GCSE and AAAA (One general studies) at A-level is a good record when so many got all A*s and five As in harder subjects.
Reply 104
naivesincerity
You didn't answer the other posts...

Don't hold your breath.
Originally Posted by allymcb2:
"It depends on how they obtained their money. I usually look up to/down on people because of their level of education."

You keep putting forward this kind of view...
So when you get totally screwed over by a highly educated person, I assume you'll unquestioningly look up to them? And when a paramedic who didn't get any 'A' levels saves your life, you'll continue to look down on them?

How old are you, anyway? The phrase 'not living in the real world' springs to mind

It always amuses me how everyone misuses childish just to denote anything they don't consider desireable behaviour. Most children are less likely to have developed prejudices and judgements and not care about money or education because they are innocent, empathetic and just see people as people. So I think childish is a tad inappropriate.

And where does spoilt come into it? I havent said 'I wanna....' once. If I always followed what other people considered 'realistic' for me then i would never have got an oxford offer.(Its unconditional, I'm on a gap year, before anyone says hope you dont get the grades).
Reply 107
Johnny
Don't hold your breath.

I didnt see any other posts but the ones I have now answered. I applied to Oxford to get away from the real world for 3 years. I like being around people who are better than me. And yes, I do have a lot of respect for them. I make moral judgements as well, but that is not what this thread is concerned with.
I doubt you'd be so principled in your seeming belief that people should be rubbished for their status if you were in that position yourself...
That's what strikes me, it's such shallow self-serving crap. I hate to say it about Oxbridge, but you'll fit in well there.
Reply 109
And for the record. There is one type of looking down on people I really really hate: looking down on people because they're younger than you. Really. It is so stupid. Bravo you lived longer, get over yourself. I'd rather listen to a 21 year old Cambridge graduate than a 45 year old housewife with only GCSEs any day.
allymcb2
I like being around people who are better than me.

Sycophancy always seems to go hand in hand with snobbery. You've never thought it's kind of undignified?
Reply 111
oops CSE's and O-levels I mean
Reply 112
naivesincerity
Sycophancy always seems to go hand in hand with snobbery. You've never thought it's kind of undignified?

To respect people and like to be around them for good reason instead of just because they exist? No. I am not a bum-sucker.
Well I think you are. You pay no mind to people's character, and constantly harp on about their rank. It's odious.
Reply 114
So in choosing friends your priority is that they're richer/more intelligent than you, rather than whether or not they're actually likeable?
Reply 115
naivesincerity
Well I think you are. You pay no mind to people's character, and constantly harp on about their rank. It's odious.

I dont make friends with people who I think little of morally either. I have 3 friends. And I am quite happy with that number. (not at Oxford yet)
Reply 116
Apagg
So in choosing friends your priority is that they're richer/more intelligent than you, rather than whether or not they're actually likeable?

I dont give a monkeys whether they are richer. As long as I think they are at least as intelligent as me, and I like them.
Reply 117
allymcb2
I dont give a monkeys whether they are richer. As long as I think they are at least as intelligent as me, and I like them.

Good to see you backing down a bit - a good personality is now more important than wealth, I'm glad to hear.
Reply 118
How is that backing down? Intelligence and education are what I said were the most important things all along. Money only counts to the extent that it can be considered the result of the first 2, which doesnt happen that often to people my age.
Reply 119
So anyone in, say, their middle age, who isn't rich isn't intelligent or educated? And by extension worse than you?

Latest

Trending

Trending