The Student Room Group

Can a foreigner learn to speak English perfectly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by danny111
I speak better English than Wayne Rooney. Fact.

Yeah but to be honest, Wayne Rooney isn't even native to this planet :smile:
Original post by Kecupochren
Hi.
So I am from Slovakia, I learn English since I was 6 (kindergarten) and right know I feel like I could survive in an English speaking country without any troubles. I did IELTS few months ago and I have scored 6.5 on writing (I forgot paragraphs and I was bit off-topic), 7 on both listening and and reading and 8 on speaking. I could definitely improve both writing and listening if I would have to take it again, but there is a thing which bothers me a bit.
As I am going to the Uni next year in the UK and as I probably will stay there and work there, it makes me wonder if as a foreigner I can learn to speak English perfectly, nearly as good as a native speaker. And most of all, if it possible to drop that "Slovakian" accent and catch British one a bit.
Right now, I don't have any troubles understanding texts written in English, same as it is no big deal to watch movies and stuff in English, but... (it may sound silly), when I listen to Eminem for example, I really struggle to understand what he is saying. Of course, slow tracks such as Stan aren't a problem, but Loose Yourself... I just cannot keep up. And I guess only a native speaker can keep up and understand perfectly. All though, is it possible to get on the nearly same level? And if so, how long would such a process take? Is it enough just to live in the UK to improve accent or are some private classes required?
Generally, I think watching movies in English helped me the most with pronounciation, but I still catch myself pronounciating "course" as "curse" and so on. :biggrin:
Thanks

Firstly, no one can make out every word Eminem is saying at full speed, so don't worry at all about that :smile:

I think some private classes may well be necessary for you - if you've been learning since the age of six, but you're still not getting some tenses right, then it implies that you've picked up some bad habits which need correcting - habits which native speakers will not correct you on in everyday life. "if I would have to take it again, but there is a thing which bothers me a bit." These little mistakes will not be completely ironed out for a long long time unless you get some tuition to learn the grammar.

Original post by Cephalus
I disagree. I do not believe that a non native can speak English as well as the natives do.

It can happen. Someone I know didn't start learning English until around 14-15, and I only discovered this a couple of years ago - there is no way anyone could even guess at him not being a native speaker. It does take a huge amount of time and effort, though, especially once you're an adult.
Reply 22
I see. My grammar is not that good; usually when we have a test in a school, I don't prepare by studying certain topics, I just select whichever answer "sounds the best". As I watch and read nearly everything in English since I was maybe 14 y.o., I most of the time can tell when something is wrong, just because it doesn't sounds correctly. Even in the sentence you've highlighted, I knew that there was something wrong when I was writing it, but as it is not that important to have a proper grammar around here, I just ignored it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kecupochren
Can a foreigner learn to speak English perfectly?

Yes, I and many of my friends are prime examples of this. It takes time but you will eventually be fluent, even if you have a slight accent that is not native in English, it does not matter as you will be fluent... which is more than can be said for native English speakers :tongue:
You certainly can, but as for the accent, it's hard to change, but not exactly an impossibility. A good way of improving english and perfecting the accent is to watch the news channel.
Reply 25
English is an international language, and to my knowledge, it is the most popular language in the world. English is my secondary language, which has a great impression on people living in my country. I have really been learning English since my school days with self-study techniques. I am not perfect in managing English, and hence i am going through videos like this one http://youtu.be/FxLRGOnRlvg
Reply 26
If we watch video conversations like this http://youtu.be/4oceDC_w6uY we can also speak perfect english.We should use proper grammar and pronunciation.
One of my best friends is Russian and she speaks perfect English yet there are people in this country who can't. She actually told what a word meant to a actual English person, quite ironic in a way.
My neighbours are French and German, and they both speak English perfectly. The French guy doesn't have any trace of French accent left at all, the German woman only has a very slight accent that you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't know she was German.
Reply 29
I would say that it depends somewhat on the individual's natural talent for language acquisition and also upon how closely that individual's native language resembles the language they are learning; it would likely be far more difficult for the average native Chinese speaker to learn flawless English than it would be for a French or German speaker for instance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Not only Americans now a days English is spoken by many people.I am not native english speaker i want to learn english.To learn english i read newspaper,englishbooks,english channels,english videos http://youtu.be/5IKfAVjfjKA Anyone tried learning english please provide me tips.

Quick Reply

Latest