The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Law Transfer

Hey,

I'm just wondering what the chances are of being accepted into QMUL as a second year law student?

I took the International Baccalaureate program and achieved a total score of 35 points. At higher level I attained 7,6,6 in Economics, English and History respectively.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
This is from the QMUL website:

QMUL Website
Transfers
It is not our policy to encourage transfers into any of our programmes, although we do sometimes consider applications for direct entry into the second year of the LLB programme in exceptional circumstances and as a matter of discretion. It may also depend in part upon the reason for the request and the compatibility of the two programmes. Applications into the third year will not be considered under any circumstances.

It is a standard pre-condition of any application that the applicant's qualifications match the entrance requirements of the programme (A*AA at A level, or the equivalent). We would also look at achievement so far in the applicants current degree programme and may also attach an academic condition relating to performance in assessments being taken if we do decide to make an offer.

Students who are studying on the University of London programme are required to achieve 50 per cent or more in all first year modules to be considered for direct year two entry on our LLB course. Transfer students are also required to make their application through UCAS.

In particular, the bold section might pose a problem to you.

Your IB scores don't meet the minimum they're expecting i.e. Minimum 36 points overall and at least 6, 6, 6 at Higher Level.

So I would call them and ask them if you should bother making an application at all and if your conditions are suitably exceptional enough to be considered for a transfer.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
What's wrong with city?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by farrukhkhan01
What's wrong with city?

Maybe that employability in the legal sector will be extremely limited unless you're extraordinary in your work experiences? It's no great secret that top law firms recruit from top 10 primarily and the Bar is almost exclusively restricted to Oxbridge.
Original post by arrowhead
Maybe that employability in the legal sector will be extremely limited unless you're extraordinary in your work experiences? It's no great secret that top law firms recruit from top 10 primarily and the Bar is almost exclusively restricted to Oxbridge.

I disagree, Many firms recruit from the top universities because candidates there meet the entry requirements. For example someone at a poorly ranked university would not have AAB which the firms require. As long as someone meets the entry requirements I think they are willing to consider the candidate. I am not talking about Magic Circle Firms, more about City to regional firms.
Reply 5
Original post by farrukhkhan01
I disagree, Many firms recruit from the top universities because candidates there meet the entry requirements. For example someone at a poorly ranked university would not have AAB which the firms require. As long as someone meets the entry requirements I think they are willing to consider the candidate. I am not talking about Magic Circle Firms, more about City to regional firms.

Original post by arrowhead

That old question of "does university matter" - you're both right to an extent but also generalise a little too much.

Firms will not solely be looking at universities alone. Barristers are not almost exclusively Oxbridge either. That being said - grades regardless of university is not necessarily correct either. The truth is, if you had the top grades at A-Level, why would you not go to a better university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending