Scroll to see replies

RH's isn't legendary - they just have loads of people going! Sardines. :wink:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Uc!
Uc!

Someone's after a tazering...
^^ KC is a cute girl's name. UC, however, stands for ugly ....
President_Ben
UC!

Go to Strand Poly then. Better than going to some farm in Surrey (! :wink:) that calls itself a university.

Why do you guys do this? Seems like rah rah high school, kind of childish...you haven't left this behind at 18 or 20? It's all the same Federal university, really.
All the high-performing colleges want to be big enough to break away from UoL :smile:
Reply 26
exactly i really don't understand the rivalry-especially when people hang out from different uni's in london
OK there may be good reasons for this, but what's with the culture of dissing the other member colleges in a snide or affectedly cutesy poo way? Seems like frat boys tranferred back in maturity level to high school. Just my opinion. Also, this whole thing costs far too much not to be serious.
global_warning
Why do you guys do this? Seems like rah rah high school, kind of childish...you haven't left this behind at 18 or 20? It's all the same Federal university, really.

It's really not.
global_warning
Why do you guys do this?

It builds community, identity and solidarity. Through competition, you strive to get better.

No one seems to call for the end of 'Oxford to Cambridge'. UCL to Kings is a very friendly thing these days mostly limited to sport. Long gone are the days in the 1950s when open riots would break out between the two.
Reply 30
The rivalry between different Cambridge colleges looked the most vicious to me!
Ron Stoppable
All the high-performing colleges want to be big enough to break away from UoL :smile:

Why don't King's, UCL, Gimperial and LSE just kick the rest out!? :wink:
President_Ben
It builds community, identity and solidarity. Through competition, you strive to get better.

No one seems to call for the end of 'Oxford to Cambridge'. UCL to Kings is a very friendly thing these days mostly limited to sport. Long gone are the days in the 1950s when open riots would break out between the two.

Didn't LSE ? trash part of KCL around Christmas time? So it's not so friendly, drunk boys breaking things up in a so-called rivalry.
They get the bulk of international students on ridiculously high fees. Straight into the UoL joint kitty, then redistributed by research ratings.
dismal_laundry
Didn't LSE ? trash part of KCL around Christmas time? So it's not so friendly, drunk boys breaking things up in a so-called rivalry.

It was funny - just fire extinguishers and one of them was in his birthday suit!
dismal_laundry

"Trash" is something of an exaggeration. I've seen modest house parties where things are about twice as trashed within the hour. Let alone by the end of the night.

It was a handful of Atheltics Union people on the Barrel (annual drinking event, though now, defunct after what happened) who were having a giggle more than anything.

Hardly the sort of open pitch riots you got back in the 50s between Bloomsbury and Strand (UCL and Kings respectively).
President_Ben
"Trash" is something of an exaggeration. I've seen modest house parties where things are about twice as trashed within the hour. Let alone by the end of the night.

It was a handful of Atheltics Union people on the Barrel (annual drinking event, though now, defunct after what happened) who were having a giggle more than anything.

Hardly the sort of open pitch riots you got back in the 50s between Bloomsbury and Strand (UCL and Kings respectively).

Were there really battles? quite like to read about them if you have any web links.
What are the students at the Strand Campus like? (Generally, of course)
President_Ben

Erm.... I think "trash" is an appropriate description when £30,000 of damage was done! There were 50-200 people involved according to the BBC, which hardly constitutes "a handful". As for Oxbridge rivalry, all the reasonable people I know at Cambridge don't give a toss about the rivalry with Oxford. Those who do seem to be mostly public school 'rah' types, who are rather 'detached' from the real world anyway. Why uphold a sad tradition of petty rivalry, when you would hold different loyalties had you gone to Kings/Oxford, etc? It's all very childish and pathetic.
Ron Stoppable
They get the bulk of international students on ridiculously high fees. Straight into the UoL joint kitty, then redistributed by research ratings.

Compared to American uinversities, the humanities courses at KCL & UCL aren't too bad fees wise (...but that's before the dollar went down 15 cents against the UK Pound in the last 10 days... ha ha..but what else can I do but pretend that doesn't hurt) US private universities charge twice that amount. Those US fees, offset with a good scholarship, for example, a half fees merit scholarship, make UoL humanities degrees about the same price. I'm sure as dammit that UoL Finance Divisions make it their business to know exactly what the competition, particularly in Anglophone regions, is charging.

Latest