The Student Room Group

HNC Vs Access course (business)

As the topic suggests, which type of course is "best" for someone in my situation, seeking university access.

Primarely interested in scottish Unis, but a proper uni elsewhere is ofcourse accepted aswell.

Does HNC work in the rest of the UK or would it "lock" me to scottish higher education institutes. Also I wonder how it compares to an Access course in business (level 3).
Wich one would you recommend ?

Best regards,
Reply 1
Isn't HNC the same as your first year at uni? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Isn't HNC the same as your first year at uni? :s-smilie:

Well I you have a look at the explanation on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Certificate

It is. I still don´t know if its better than an access course and if it´ll work in the rest of the uk (not only scotland).
Reply 3
A HNC from Scotland will be recognised in the rest of the UK as a level 4 qualification also called a Certificate if Higher Education. The disadvantage is that it will generally only be accepted for entry into business related degrees. If you however have other qualifications from your home country, they may also be recognised too for university entry especially if you got them in the last 3-5 years.

Long term, a HNC has recognition in terms of UCAS points, where as an Access to HE does not, this can make a difference to some graduate recruitment processes.

To be sure your qualification would be recognised for the course you might apply for in England or Wales, contact the universities that you might be interested in attending. Until the changes in funding, the rest if the UK had plenty of experience in understanding Scottish qualifications.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending