The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The Ace is Back
Ok Knogle firstly, calm the hell down!

Secondly, a lot of UK 'folks' actually argued in favour of Brown.

Thirdly, Warwick hasn't got nearly as good an international reputation. Yes, it is an up and coming place. Yes, it has done well to get where it has today. Yes, lots of British employers regard it well. But let's face it, Brown is probably better (and, importantly, better viewed) than Warwick in many ways.

You must joking if you even remotely thought I was irked. :p:

See:- the only thing you're riding on is 'international reputation'.

How do you even quantify that? Until you can, this debate will continue to exist until the cows come home and the pigs can fly.

Don't impose personal opinions on others when you don't have facts to back up your case. This applies to the Warwick-supporter camp too.
Reply 41
International reputation is a funny thing - I haven't heard of any German universities but if I were an employer I wouldn't automatically dismiss German graduates for this reason.
Knogle: Where's your evidence which somehow proves otherwise?

Money, reputation.. it's all important in deciding which university to go to.
LH
International reputation is a funny thing - I haven't heard of any German universities but if I were an employer I wouldn't automatically dismiss German graduates for this reason.

A lot of employers would though, that's the point surely?
Reply 44
The Ace is Back
Knogle: Where's your evidence which somehow proves otherwise?

Money, reputation.. it's all important in deciding which university to go to.

You're asking me for evidence that you can't quantify international rep? :confused: Uhhh, no.
How do you quantify international reputation? The fact is that lots of people in the UK know of Brown university; the same is not true of Warwick in America. That is a fact. QED. (If you dispute it's a fact, without having lived or spent time in the US, there's little we can do to convince you; ask American members on here - one of which, shadylane, already commented she hadn't heard of Warwick prior to TSR.) I'm told both are well-known in Asia.

As to the only thing he's riding on being 'international reputation', what's wrong with that? You've said yourself both have a good domestic rep, sufficient to get a decent job; the OP wanted to differentiate the two - if national reps are both good, the international rep is the next logical step.
Knogle
You're asking me for evidence that you can't quantify international rep? :confused: Uhhh, no.

No, I'm asking you for evidence that Brown isn't better than Warwick.
Reply 47
The Ace is Back
No, I'm asking you for evidence that Brown isn't better than Warwick.

You're missing the point. I'm not saying one is better than the other. YOU are proposing that Brown > Warwick, and are riding on the 'better international rep' edge. YOU should be the one quantifying international rep, and hence use that to convince us of your beliefs.
LH

Spurious. If a candidate's country has top quality, world-class universities (H,Y,P etc in America or Oxbridge, LSE in UK) and they didn't go to one of them, that's different to not going to a well-known university in a country where there are none - the second scenario doesn't mean that the candidate couldn't get into a top university, merely that there were none available to them ... i.e. it says nothing about their potential.
Reply 49
fuglyduckling
How do you quantify international reputation? The fact is that lots of people in the UK know of Brown university; the same is not true of Warwick in America. That is a fact. QED. (If you dispute it's a fact, without having lived or spent time in the US, there's little we can do to convince you; ask American members on here - one of which, shadylane, already commented she hadn't heard of Warwick prior to TSR.) I'm told both are well-known in Asia.

As to the only thing he's riding on being 'international reputation', what's wrong with that? You've said yourself both have a good domestic rep, sufficient to get a decent job; the OP wanted to differentiate the two - if national reps are both good, the international rep is the next logical step.

TBH I don't know how much I can trust shady lane. I respect her and she's certainly an accomplished person - but there's something wrong when someone spends 6 months at a UK university and hear about every top university other than Warwick.

You say it's a fact, 'eh? Prove it.
Knogle
You're missing the point. I'm not saying one is better than the other. YOU are proposing that Brown > Warwick, and are riding on the 'better international rep' edge. YOU should be the one quantifying international rep, and hence use that to convince us of your beliefs.

Not really. If you can't prove otherwise, you have no right to say that I'm wrong about Brown being better than Warwick.
Reply 51
The Ace is Back
A lot of employers would though, that's the point surely?

You really think so? You think all Germans would struggle to get jobs abroad because they went to a German university? This isn't some backwater, it's Europe's major economic power.
Knogle
YOU should be the one quantifying international rep, and hence use that to convince us of your beliefs.

Brown is in World's top 100 list, Warwick isn't.* Brown is well-known in UK, Warwick is not well-known in America.

*http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

EDIT: I should add that I'm basing my assertation that Warwick is not known in the US on time spent there, talking to students. Of course it's not a massively huge sample, but I think it's fair game; you'd expect at least one person to have heard of it...
Reply 53
fuglyduckling
Spurious. If a candidate's country has top quality, world-class universities (H,Y,P etc in America or Oxbridge, LSE in UK) and they didn't go to one of them, that's different to not going to a well-known university in a country where there are none - the second scenario doesn't mean that the candidate couldn't get into a top university, merely that there were none.

You think that there are no top-class universities in Germany? That you haven't heard of them isn't enough.
Reply 54
fuglyduckling
Brown is in World's top 100 list, Warwick isn't.* Brown is well-known in UK, Warwick is not well-known in America.

Oh gosh, you're using the hugely-disputed Chinese rankings. And you're using rankings that don't discuss international rep. And then again you make another subjective statement without evidence.
LH
You really think so? You think all Germans would struggle to get jobs abroad because they went to a German university? This isn't some backwater, it's Europe's major economic power.

I reckon someone with an Oxbridge degree would have a much easier time getting a job in Britain than someone with a degree from an unheard-of German university, yes.
Reply 56
The Ace is Back
Not really. If you can't prove otherwise, you have no right to say that I'm wrong about Brown being better than Warwick.

Mate, you're the one who's supposed to back up your case. Until you cannot, you'll have to let it be a personal opinion. I don't go around shouting statements and asking others to prove me wrong. YOU prove it RIGHT. That's how things work.
Reply 57
Brown is an Ivy University and is not comparable to Warwick. It's reputation easily supersedes Warwick's.
Knogle
And you're using rankings that don't discuss international rep.

What's your point? Surely all that means is that when international reputation isn't taken into account, Brown ranks higher on that particular league table. When you add international reputation then, that should only further this position.

And yes, I know the league table isn't perfect, before you say again.
Reply 59
fuglyduckling

EDIT: I should add that I'm basing my assertation that Warwick is not known in the US on time spent there, talking to students. Of course it's not a massively huge sample, but I think it's fair game; you'd expect at least one person to have heard of it...

And what evidence is there that just becuase an employer hasn't heard of your university that they won't employ you? Would a Warwick graduate looking for work in the US have their application disregarded because the employer isn't familiar with the university's name?

Latest

Trending

Trending