The Student Room Group

Advice needed from Chem engineers in University.

Hey, I'm currently studying Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry for As and I've been thinking about universities for a long time now (probably since I was 13 or 14), and over the years I've changed my mind multiple times from astrophysics, to computer science to medicine and on and on..... . Finally after all these years I have decided to go for Chemical engineering at (in order of preference) either Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bath or Loughborough. I'm aiming high and I believe I can meet the entry requirements, plus my GCSE results were OK too(7A*s, 3A's, 2B's) with the b's in Eng Lang and Lit ( they were never my strongest subjects), heck i was surprised I didn't get a C. Well anyways, my strongest subject is definitely chemistry and i'm pretty good at maths and physics(which i know are crucial for Chem Eng). My work experience last year was an accident and I ended up in a warehouse, building transformers and adapters, but I suspect it may actually be beneficial. So I wanted to ask, do you think it was a relevant work experience in an engineering perspective?

Also I go to a state school and the GCSEs I achieved we're the best in the year (we never did credit ourselves on our academic excellence), and I received an award for the best GCSEs in the Pakistani community (pretty large) throughout the city of Peterborough.

In school, I'm a senior prefect (30 in a sixth-form of about 300) and a community prefect meaning, once a fortnight me and my team of prefects tour the local shops after school to stop smokers and students disturbing local residents.

I achieved the best MFL language score in the whole year and will get an award for that in December. I have tutored year 6 students from January 2012 to May 2012 to help them prepare for their Maths SAT. And I have had experience teaching children (from age 4 to 15) Islamic studies for the last 3 years,(if that helps).

I was also part of the cricket team since year 8 and we reached the national knockout stages, we we're the best in the city, and we could have gone all the way if it weren't some "mishaps" on the day, :colondollar:

In addition to all of that, I also completed the level 1 Sports leadership course and I am currently working towards the level 2 qualification.

I've studied abroad (due to certain family problems in 2002) for 3 years (2002-2005), in Pakistan.
I studied at a boarding school and improved my Urdu drastically, to a point where I can write essays in Urdu comfortably. I also visited other parts of the country and can now speak 4-5 languages, in order of fluency (English, Urdu, Mirpuri, Hindi and Punjabi), will this be taken for granted in Uni when I'm applying because my parents are from Pakistan, or will it be helpful?

So Overall i just needed to ask any current Chemical engineering students studying at the university's of my choice about my chances of getting in (especially the first two) and is there anything else I can do to improve my chances such as work experience, background reading (specify books), what to include in my personal statement, (which I will also get help for from my cousin who studied medicine at Cambridge), and also tips for the interviews and how I should prepare or present myself etc., and what I should say when asked about all of my experiences.
Should I drop one of my subjects next year in order to have more time to get solid A*s and to fully read on chemical engineering, because I was thinking of dropping biology next year due to it not being as important to the degree, will it hurt my chances or increase them?

Sorry for writing so much but I really need the advice, Thank you, your help is MUCH appreciated. I SERIOUSLY am grateful to every one of you who's shared their wisdom:biggrin:, THANK YOU!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest