The Student Room Group

Sitting on your own in a club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
And why did you never make a thread about it like OP? :tongue:

I'm not quite as creepy as to comment on the pulling techniques of my customers haha.
Reply 21
Original post by Classical Liberal
I am still trying to make sense of this but I have noticed a really strange way of getting girls to approach you in a club. So I am in a club with my mates and I decide to read some texts on my phone or something. Rather than going to the smoking area I sit down on my own on some sofas facing the dance floor and read some texts looking kinda brooding.

The frequency of which girls come up to me and put their arms around me or kiss me is astonishing compared to all other behavior in a club. It doesn't happen every time but it happens quite a lot that girls who are complete strangers will approach me.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Nope. Not more than once or twice in terms of complete strangers.

Although I HAVE had a guy come up to me and ask me if I had drugs. Which was amusing, putting it mildly
Reply 22
Sit there with a bottle of champers or vodka and you're even more set. It's not something i'd do, but I've seen it work time and time again. They might be there just for free drinks at first but you know what alcohol does to some women.
sitting in the club, all alone, life's rough, watching women, wanting, can't get enough. I am a loner, hiding an adolescent like boner, wish I had her number, then I could actually lack the courage to phone her.
Original post by NotYourAverage'
sitting in the club, all alone, life's rough, watching women, wanting, can't get enough. I am a loner, hiding an adolescent like boner, wish I had her number, then I could actually lack the courage to phone her.

21st century Shakespeare

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by py0alb
I have, although I wouldn't recommend it. There are two factors at work here. It is possible that simply by sitting and chilling and being like the only guy in the club that isn't either trying to grope them or lamely reciting lines out of The Game, you instantly become more attractive by default. You don't need to look brooding for this to work, you can just look happy and relaxed.

However the fact that they put their arms round you suggests that they come up because they assume there is something wrong and they feel sorry for you. Pity is not a good foundation for (even a short term) relationship, and if they figure out its a ruse they will just think you're a prick.

It is not a ruse. If I decide to sit down in a club it is because I am not enjoying it very much. I am not drunk enough. Not enjoying the music. My mates are pissing me off, or whatever.

I don't think looking happy as a guy is at all good if you want to be attractive. In my experience I get very little sexual attention when I am having a great time on a night out. Whilst if I am looking just a little depressed I get so much more attention. I do think how you present yourself makes a huge difference.

I think I could make a guy with great features instantly highly unattractive just by getting him round out his shoulders, curving his back, splayed feet and a big smile.

And the same can be said for girls except I find it works the other way around. If a girl is not smiling I do not tend to find her attractive in general. I can recall seeing girls I chatted to on a night out, and did not find them attractive at the time, a few days later and thinking "She is actually good looking, why was I not into her?" And it is usually because they were not smiling. One girl in particular (she got off with me :sexface: - shameless brag) I know is an expert at approaching guys. She has very open body language and smiles a lot.

Also I know of lots of guys who are good looking but don't get much female attention at all. And in most cases these are guys who are too happy. They smile too much. Too keen to please others. Too keen to makes others laugh. They try to be "confident" by being submissive.

Also in groups of lads it is the same guys who are smiling, cracking jokes and generally keen to please others that are at the bottom of the group in terms of the respect they receive from their peers. And any woman wants a guy who has the respect of his peers.

http://counsellingcentral.com/its-official-women-find-brooding-men-more-attractive-than-happy-men/

8Mo3y.jpg

jd.jpg

Aragorn is the definition of male sex appeal in my opinion. He commands the authority of his peers. He is very athletic. Only speaks when he has something of value to say. He almost never smiles and is very bashful. Compared to JD who is the definition of needy grinning insecure loser who is desperate for that one girl and for the approval of his peers.
Reply 26

8Mo3y.jpg

jd.jpg

Aragorn is the definition of male sex appeal in my opinion. He commands the authority of his peers. He is very athletic. Only speaks when he has something of value to say. He almost never smiles and is very bashful. Compared to JD who is the definition of needy grinning insecure loser who is desperate for that one girl and for the approval of his peers.

This is honestly one of the funniest things I have read this week.
way easier to start talking
Reply 28
It is not a ruse. If I decide to sit down in a club it is because I am not enjoying it very much. I am not drunk enough. Not enjoying the music. My mates are pissing me off, or whatever.

I didn't say it was, I just said I didn't recommend it as a ruse

I don't think looking happy as a guy is at all good if you want to be attractive. In my experience I get very little sexual attention when I am having a great time on a night out. Whilst if I am looking just a little depressed I get so much more attention. I do think how you present yourself makes a huge difference.

I disagree. Not wishing to denigrate your anecdotal data, but I don't think thats the case. No girl wants to date a miserable bastard. Obviously the last sentence is true.

I think I could make a guy with great features instantly highly unattractive just by getting him round out his shoulders, curving his back, splayed feet and a big smile.

How on earth is having a smile - which generally gives the impression of friendly confidence and self assurance - correlated with socially nervous body language? Does not make sense.

And the same can be said for girls except I find it works the other way around. If a girl is not smiling I do not tend to find her attractive in general. I can recall seeing girls I chatted to on a night out, and did not find them attractive at the time, a few days later and thinking "She is actually good looking, why was I not into her?" And it is usually because they were not smiling. One girl in particular (she got off with me :sexface: - shameless brag) I know is an expert at approaching guys. She has very open body language and smiles a lot.

This is obviously your personal preference. Most psychologists agree that on average we become more attractive when we smile, not less.

Also I know of lots of guys who are good looking but don't get much female attention at all. And in most cases these are guys who are too happy. They smile too much. Too keen to please others. Too keen to makes others laugh. They try to be "confident" by being submissive.

Now you're describing a completely different phenomenon. Smiling and being friendly is a sign of high self-esteem, what you are describing is clearly the opposite.

Also in groups of lads it is the same guys who are smiling, cracking jokes and generally keen to please others that are at the bottom of the group in terms of the respect they receive from their peers. And any woman wants a guy who has the respect of his peers.

I don't think there is a strong correlation either way here. Obviously inferred social status is an important attraction signifier, however it is just as much a mistake to assume that being quiet and moody is a good way to fake this as it is to assume that by being the clown of the group is going to make all the girls like you.

http://counsellingcentral.com/its-official-women-find-brooding-men-more-attractive-than-happy-men/

8Mo3y.jpg

jd.jpg

False dichotomy. Not everyone who is happy and friendly is secretly annoying and insecure, not everyone who is moody and silent is secretly sexy and authoritative.

I think your presentation is an understandable counterreaction to the generic and oversimplified "be happy and smile and everyone will like you" concept, but in oversimplifying the matter in the opposite paradigm, you've actually just repeated the same mistakes.

Edit: its probably also worth considering that even if the link between physical attraction and smiling/not smiling is unclear, you're certainly going to get a better response by looking confident, friendly and approachable, rather than looking cold, miserable, and passive-aggressive. They might possibly think you're hot and moody (unlikely), but they're neither going to approach you nor respond kindly to you approaching them if you look like you might break into tears/bite their head off.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've noticed this. When I've got a text to answer or I'm just feeling generally grumpy, or preoccupied with something else then I seem to get much more female attention.

It's the mystery factor that they love above all.
The only people who've approached me when I was alone waiting for people in a club was two guys who thought I was an undercover bouncer.

Also, the whole quiet moody persona definitely doesn't work. As I have found out personally, if you walk around a club by yourself looking depressed you just get weird, or worse, pitying looks.
Reply 31
Original post by clad in armour
So you're just sitting there, and out of the blue some random person comes and hug and kisses you? Never mind the fact that they're female, surely a bit of conversation first :lolwut:

you've never been to a club have u
Reply 32
Original post by mikeyd85
Have you never seen people in a club looking like a mid-day meal before? Quite common round 'ere. Was only the other day that I started chatting up a chick that looked quite like a Subway Meatball Mariana and a packet of Ready salted crisps.

Needless to say, she looked good, but was ultimately kinda boring and definitely overpriced.

Spoiler

:frown: this comment made me laugh out loud in the silent study area of the library, now people are staring at me
Original post by Gouki
:frown: this comment made me laugh out loud in the silent study area of the library, now people are staring at me

(edited 11 years ago)
I hadn't noticed it before but thinking about the few time girls have approched me, I was sitting on my own.
Reply 35
Original post by mikeyd85

luckily most of 'em were Chinese and Indian internationals, so I'll live :tongue:
Original post by py0alb
How on earth is having a smile - which generally gives the impression of friendly confidence and self assurance - correlated with socially nervous body language? Does not make sense.

When you first meet somebody if you smile you are trying to gain their approval. You are essentially being submissive. It is an attempt to fit. It can be a bit like how a dog who feels inferior will roll over on to its back to show that it is not threat.

This is obviously your personal preference. Most psychologists agree that on average we become more attractive when we smile, not less.

Most evidence I have found suggests that men who are not smiling are much more sexually attractive than those who are smiling. There is a difference between sex appeal and attractiveness. A 7 year old girl might be attractive but does not have sex appeal. Or a cute dog is attractive but does not have sex appeal.

Ever noticed how in after shave adverts the men are always brooding. Or how male model usually look a bit pissed off......

A smile in a woman is sexy. It is not in man.

Another thing that I think is a big turn off in men is trying to make others laugh. Again it is the same phenomena of trying to fit in. Trying to make others laugh can be very needy. Yet many guys try to tell jokes when they first meet a woman, which I think is totally counterproductive.

Another example of male sex appeal is Neo from the Matrix. He is very similar to Aragorn. I can hardly recall Neo ever smiling let alone telling a joke.
Reply 37
It's probably because they feel sorry for you and want to mother you a bit.

Thinking about it, it's pretty likely that I've done it before myself. Sometimes it can also be fairly amusing trying to cheer someone else up who's a bit down and reluctant to have fun.
Original post by Telecaster Steak

Also, the whole quiet moody persona definitely doesn't work. As I have found out personally, if you walk around a club by yourself looking depressed you just get weird, or worse, pitying looks.

There is a difference between brooding and being moody.
Reply 39
When you first meet somebody if you smile you are trying to gain their approval. You are essentially being submissive. It is an attempt to fit. It can be a bit like how a dog who feels inferior will roll over on to its back to show that it is not threat.

Sometimes you say stuff that is just so out there I have genuine trouble composing a response to it. Not because what you say is right, but that its so far away from being right that its hard to see the road back to rationality.

Smiling is neither intrinsically dominant nor submissive. It just signifies that you view them as a friend, not a threat.

Are you saying that when you are introduced to people, you just scowl at them? Do you say anything? Or is speaking an attempt to fit in as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending