The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Which toilet should transitioning transgender people use?

Poll

Which toilets should a transitioning transgender person use?

I was on Facebook this afternoon when I saw one of my friends had posted a status about how they had been told to use the male toilets in a nightclub as they are in the process of becoming female and is currently taking hormones etc and will be having the full operation next year. I've never actually met this girl, she added me randomly on Facebook but she is very honest and open about her transitioning and I've been interested in following her journey.

Anyway, there were a lot of comments stating general outrage that she had been asked to use the male toilets as she dresses and lives as a female and apparently has never had a problem with using the female toilets in any nightclub before.

There were however a few comments saying she should indeed use the male toilets until she has had the operation to remove her male genitals as no other 'biological' male would be allowed to enter the female toilets. One person even said a man dressed up in drag say for a stag do would use the male toilets, therefore this girl should too.

So what's your take on it? Should people in the process of transitioning use their biological gender-appropriate toilet in public places, or should they be able to use the gender to which they are transitioning to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think there is a difference between biological sex and gender so whatever gender they are (your friend is a girl, they live and dress like a girl, feel they are one) then that's the toilet they should use. If that makes sense
Reply 2
I can see where the nightclub staff are coming from, but I wholeheartedly disagree with them. As the above guy said, there's a major difference between sex and gender.
Reply 3
Whatever they feel comfortable with.
Reply 4
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I was on Facebook this afternoon when I saw one of my friends had posted a status about how they had been told to use the male toilets in a nightclub as they are in the process of becoming female and is currently taking hormones etc and will be having the full operation next year. I've never actually met this girl, she added me randomly on Facebook but she is very honest and open about her transitioning and I've been interested in following her journey.

Anyway, there were a lot of comments stating general outrage that she had been asked to use the male toilets as she dresses and lives as a female and apparently has never had a problem with using the female toilets in any nightclub before.

There were however a few comments saying she should indeed use the male toilets until she has had the operation to remove her male genitals as no other 'biological' male would be allowed to enter the female toilets. One person even said a man dressed up in drag say for a stag do would use the male toilets, therefore this girl should too.

So what's your take on it? Should people in the process of transitioning use their biological gender-appropriate toilet in public places, or should they be able to use the gender to which they are transitioning to?
Nobody's accusing all men of being rapists/perverts when they say men shouldn't go into women's toilets, they're just being aware of the possibility that it could happen so want to prevent it. Similarly for anyone with a penis, the potential is there, you can see how a male rapist may use a loophole such as "male to female pre-op transexuals can use the women's toilet" to just dress as a woman and claim they're trans if stopped.
Reply 5
I thought women all used the men's toilets in clubs anyway because women clog up the cubicles taking group ****s for too long in their own.
Original post by Hopple
Nobody's accusing all men of being rapists/perverts when they say men shouldn't go into women's toilets, they're just being aware of the possibility that it could happen so want to prevent it. Similarly for anyone with a penis, the potential is there, you can see how a male rapist may use a loophole such as "male to female pre-op transexuals can use the women's toilet" to just dress as a woman and claim they're trans if stopped.

I don't think I rapist would go to this extreme. Trans is more than just wearing a wig and skirt - its obvious who is in drag and who is taking it seriously as their gender decision.

I think that the nightclub should have seen a woman, and let a woman go into the women's toilets. Fair enough, I can understand people getting confused by it, but I would think the natural thing would be to allow her to use the correct toilets for her gender?
Original post by Hopple

Nobody on the status actually said anything about the possibility of women getting raped by a biological male in the female toilets although I did wonder/assume this was their reason for arguing against transitioning trans girls using the girls toilet.

It's interesting because a lot of people on the status were saying it's against the girls human rights to be discriminated against and made to use the male toilets and someone else said it was against the biological females rights to be made to share a toilet with someone who has male genitalia. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on it, I'm an extremely tolerant person and would personally have no problem with a trans girl using the female toilets, though as you point out there is a risk (however small) that a rapist could use the female toilet and claim they are trans in order to carry out attacks.
Reply 8
Original post by linkdapink
I don't think I rapist would go to this extreme. Trans is more than just wearing a wig and skirt - its obvious who is in drag and who is taking it seriously as their gender decision.

I think that the nightclub should have seen a woman, and let a woman go into the women's toilets. Fair enough, I can understand people getting confused by it, but I would think the natural thing would be to allow her to use the correct toilets for her gender?
A few points. Would you be okay with men (non-trans, heterosexual) using the women's toilet? If not, why not? Lastly, yes women's clothes and drag are different, but if a transexual can dress like a woman then a man can, it isn't difficult.
It's tricky maybe, if available it would be better to use disabled toilets until the transition is complete this way, I don't wish to infer that your friend is disabled, nobody's sensibilities are offended, your friend can go to the bathroom without fear of harassment and other users of the facilities can't complain
Reply 10
there is a risk (however small) that a rapist could use the female toilet and claim they are trans in order to carry out attacks.

There's a risk a rapist could dress as a child and attend a school. But we don't ban children, do we? It's ludicrously unlikely that situation would occur.
Original post by Hopple
A few points. Would you be okay with men (non-trans, heterosexual) using the women's toilet? If not, why not? Lastly, yes women's clothes and drag are different, but if a transexual can dress like a woman then a man can, it isn't difficult.

No - I do not like men using the women's toilets. I have seen homosexual men in the women's toilets before claiming that "its ok, because [he's] gay". No its not - the women's toilet is for women. That is clear cut. Pre-op women should be accepted into this catagory - that is what they identify as.

Yes, any man can dress up as a woman. What I'm saying is that its a hell of a lot of effort to go through just to perve on women. It's not just as easy as pulling on a skirt and putting a wig on to be a "convincing" trans woman, and anyone just out to perve would be spotted a mile off?
Reply 12
Nobody on the status actually said anything about the possibility of women getting raped by a biological male in the female toilets although I did wonder/assume this was their reason for arguing against transitioning trans girls using the girls toilet.

It's interesting because a lot of people on the status were saying it's against the girls human rights to be discriminated against and made to use the male toilets and someone else said it was against the biological females rights to be made to share a toilet with someone who has male genitalia. I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on it, I'm an extremely tolerant person and would personally have no problem with a trans girl using the female toilets, though as you point out there is a risk (however small) that a rapist could use the female toilet and claim they are trans in order to carry out attacks.
It all depends on why someone objects to men using the women's toilet. If it's just a dogmatic "Men use the men's and women use the women's" then that can be ignored, but I've been led to believe that the main reason women don't want men in the women's toilets (and by extension, men worried for women's sake) is due to the risk of rape or assault.

This baffles me. Girls toilets - you go in, close the cubicle door and lock it. No-one even knows who is behind each door? It's not exactly out in open like men's urinals? So I really don't see the massive problem with this?
Original post by Norton1
There's a risk a rapist could dress as a child and attend a school. But we don't ban children, do we? It's ludicrously unlikely that situation would occur.

:lolwut: I'm pretty sure someone would notice a grown adult dressed as a child...

Also, hence why I said "however unlikely this situation is" to paraphrase myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
My schools had separate staff and children's toilets.

Original post by linkdapink
No - I do not like men using the women's toilets. I have seen homosexual men in the women's toilets before claiming that "its ok, because [he's] gay". No its not - the women's toilet is for women. That is clear cut. Pre-op women should be accepted into this catagory - that is what they identify as.

Yes, any man can dress up as a woman. What I'm saying is that its a hell of a lot of effort to go through just to perve on women. It's not just as easy as pulling on a skirt and putting a wig on to be a "convincing" trans woman, and anyone just out to perve would be spotted a mile off?
You haven't answered why you don't want men using the women's toilet apart from "That's what it says on the door". Can you not see how easily exploitable things would be if a male rapist could dress up as a woman and wait for a victim, then if someone called him out on it could just claim he was transexual to avoid the police getting involved? And no, it isn't hard for a normal man to dress to look like a pre-op male to female transexual who is dressed like a woman. They'll have the same body shape so if you accept one then you won't be able to distinguish from the other - unless you ask them personal questions of course.
If she's dressing as a woman, then female toilets. If not I understand where the club are coming from because people wouldn't know she's transitioning and wouldn't be happy that a man (as they see it) is allowed in the women's toilets.

Luckily toilets are slowly becoming gender neutral so hopefully soon your friend won't face any more of these problems (in the western world anyway).
Reply 17
Original post by Blue Rose
If she's dressing as a woman, then female toilets. If not I understand where the club are coming from because people wouldn't know she's transitioning and wouldn't be happy that a man (as they see it) is allowed in the women's toilets.

Luckily toilets are slowly becoming gender neutral so hopefully soon your friend won't face any more of these problems (in the western world anyway).

Where? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
:lolwut: I'm pretty sure someone would notice a grown adult dressed as a child...

Also, hence why I said "however unlikely this situation is" to paraphrase myself.

I think there have actually been quite a few cases of people doing that. I can't find the one in Scotland I was thinking of, but here's one from Canada.

http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/tk-cases-of-adults-impersonating-teenagers/treva_thornberry_061212/

Original post by Hopple
My schools had separate staff and children's toilets.

I think you missed my point.
Reply 19

You say that, but I'm pretty sure I read about that happening once.

Latest

Trending

Trending