The Student Room Group

I dont know what to do!! please help!

:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Maths is really useful, if you can do it :smile: it opens more doors then anything else :smile:
English would be really different to your other subject choices. If you can try for Maths, it would be worth it, although it is quite difficult at A level compared to other options.

I would definitely recommend Psychology. although it is heavily essay based, that will probably come as a relief with your other subjects. It's also a bit more specific: it opens a door for you at University that would remain closed if you hadn't taken it.
Reply 3
Pick maths. People do not know how essential it can be in our day to day lives.
Reply 4
I got a B in maths retook it twice and got a B, now yes i hardly revised, but i still took it at A level, and put about 300% more work in then GCSE (which is turning up to lessons, not talking or misbehaving and doing every piece of HW on time) and ive got AAABA in all of my end of module tests from chapter 1-6 (excluding 4) i got rejected by alot of schools because of my B, but because of my hard work and dedication im now helping other students on their HW and stuff who got As and A*s.
So yea, if maths will aid your application, which it will, im doing Biology and Chemistry as well then take it, work hard at it and understand it.
Reply 5
However if you are the type of person that moans in class being like "When will we ever need to know y-y1=m(x-x1) this is stupid" then dont pick maths, ive got a girl like that in my class. WOW How she annoys me...
Reply 6
I have some teachers who did use more than proportion in their careers, no derivatives and other crap. But pick maths. It is fun, interesting and like mind**** movies, good for your brain :biggrin:
Reply 7
thanks everyone..i think i will take it now and i will try my 300% :biggrin: u guys really helped
and lol joe naa i dont say that in class so i think i'll be ok :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by aanisahh96
thanks everyone..i think i will take it now and i will try my 300% :biggrin: u guys really helped
and lol joe naa i dont say that in class so i think i'll be ok :biggrin:

It really is hard though, so do think about it. Try your best at GCSE to give you a good indication. If you work your hardest and only just hit the B grade, perhaps that would be an indicator that a-level maths isn't for you. It is much much harder, GCSE will feel simple in comparison. But it's satisfying when you can do it, it's enjoyable (I reckon) and most people can learn the content. It's about the actual exams, where you have to apply your knowledge and come up with ideas to solve problems. This is where it's hard. You'll find that the very best maths students can breeze through most of the paper easily enough, but there are always certain questions that are harder, they're normally the 5+ mark questions, that only the best students can come up with ideas to solve. It takes practice as well as talent to do these well.

There are other subjects you could choose. If you'd like to teach bio or chem, you can do other things at a-level. I'd say an essay subject could be good, you might like english lit, history etc. If you're considering economics, that's very difficult also, so do think about that before you go for it.

Whatever you decide, be prepared to work hard and keep on top of things, it's going to be difficult.
Reply 9
Maths at AS can sometimes be a required subject for science degrees, ranging at c-a.
I got an A at maths just lol,didn't understand ANYTHING for the last module, but with time and using Examsolutions with a combo of the cgp book, and a decent teacher I'm on course for an A :smile: c1/c2 aren't too difficult, the exam questions are usually really similar/repetitive style.
Reply 10
Original post by Pride
It really is hard though, so do think about it. Try your best at GCSE to give you a good indication. If you work your hardest and only just hit the B grade, perhaps that would be an indicator that a-level maths isn't for you. It is much much harder, GCSE will feel simple in comparison. But it's satisfying when you can do it, it's enjoyable (I reckon) and most people can learn the content. It's about the actual exams, where you have to apply your knowledge and come up with ideas to solve problems. This is where it's hard. You'll find that the very best maths students can breeze through most of the paper easily enough, but there are always certain questions that are harder, they're normally the 5+ mark questions, that only the best students can come up with ideas to solve. It takes practice as well as talent to do these well.

There are other subjects you could choose. If you'd like to teach bio or chem, you can do other things at a-level. I'd say an essay subject could be good, you might like english lit, history etc. If you're considering economics, that's very difficult also, so do think about that before you go for it.

Whatever you decide, be prepared to work hard and keep on top of things, it's going to be difficult.

okay now im confused...i think i might find it very hard so should i do eng lit? i alked to the a level teacher for eng lit and she said it is very hard in college to do eng lit so u have to be really good at it! im predicted an A for Eng lit and Lang so do u think that the best thing to do is choose english? buttt...i do find english boring sometimes so now im extra confused!
Reply 11
Original post by Pride

okay now im confused...i think i might find it very hard so should i do eng lit? i talked to the a level teacher for eng lit and she said it is very hard in college to do eng lit so u have to be really good at it! im predicted an A for Eng lit and Lang so do u think that the best thing to do is choose english? buttt...i do find english boring sometimes so now im extra confused!
Reply 12
okay now im confused...i think i might find it very hard so should i do eng lit? i talked to the a level teacher for eng lit and she said it is very hard in college to do eng lit so u have to be really good at it! im predicted an A for Eng lit and Lang so do u think that the best thing to do is choose english? buttt...i do find english boring sometimes so now im extra confused!

Eng Lit really isn't that hard at A-level.
Reply 13
Original post by Tabzqt
Eng Lit really isn't that hard at A-level.

ok so should i take eng lit or maths?? im predicted A for eng lit and B for Maths but i enjoy maths better
Reply 14
ok so should i take eng lit or maths?? im predicted A for eng lit and B for Maths but i enjoy maths better

I honestly think you will struggle with A-level maths unless you revise super hard.

If you have some natural talent in English you can get an A fairly easily, also it will be much less work than maths.
Reply 15
Original post by Tabzqt
I honestly think you will struggle with A-level maths unless you revise super hard.

If you have some natural talent in English you can get an A fairly easily, also it will be much less work than maths.

yeaa a lot of people have said maths is hard and i do get good grades in Eng lit but would it lead to teaching? im not sure...
Reply 16
yeaa a lot of people have said maths is hard and i do get good grades in Eng lit but would it lead to teaching? im not sure...

I doubt it will be a problem.

Good luck.
Reply 17
Original post by Tabzqt
I doubt it will be a problem.

Good luck.

yea same..thanks for ur help anyways
Reply 18

They're both hard. I just wanted to tell you what maths is like. They both aren't easy.
Reply 19
Original post by Pride
They're both hard. I just wanted to tell you what maths is like. They both aren't easy.

lol okay thanks for ur help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest