The Student Room Group

'hard' A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ambbs
In year 12 and doing all of these...the next two years of my life should be interesting! Especially as I only picked up physics today and have nearly three months' work to catch up on :frown:

Haha, Fair play! I do 3 sciences and business studies :biggrin: hoping to take Geography on instead of Business studies next year :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by mr96
Anyone know what economics would be considered to be? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Probably somewhere in between its a 'social science'.
Reply 22
Original post by mr96

hard
Maths
Further Maths
English Literature
History
Biology
Human Biology
Chemistry
Further Chemistry
Physics
Latin
Ancient Greek
All of the modern languages (but Inwould exclude French and Spanish)
Geology (to an extent)
Statistics (I guess only the A2 would qualify)
Advanced Further Maths
Russian Literature is by far definetely the hardest!!
Reply 24
While I agree that all the A Levels mentioned are hard, "proper" subjects, there are some A Levels that people haven't quite caught up with...

Art, or Theatre, for example. Both have an exceptionally high and challenging workload, and most Theatre courses are now based more on a traditional essay exam, with a smaller percentage of the grade on a practical performance.
Original post by Cephalus
No, despite my distaste for the subject I dont believe the bolded part

Unless you were severely handi capped (not in anyway trying to be funny btw)I'm pretty sure almost anyone could achieve at the very least a B in 'health and social care' if they put their mind to it. On the other hand, I PERSONALLY think that this would be A LOT more unlikely with a FM exam..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
- The hardest.
Reply 27
Stop exaggerating your just making your earlier points look less credible. EDIT: This was meant to be reply to ' Ilovebiology'
Original post by mr96

It's kind of in the middle. A acceptable subject which isn't too easy or too hard but definetly stimulating and requires an autonomous ability to think logically.

It falls in the 'inbetween' category along with:

Psychology
Sociology
Geography
Philosiphy
Archaeology
Electronics
Religious Studies
Computing
Classical Civilisation
Original post by nExow
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
- The hardest.

100% true. Sciences and Maths are the hardest Alevels, I don't care what anyone else says.
Reply 30
It's not really a plausible discussion with only those two terms to go with.

Art is an exceptionally difficult subject in terms of workload and the talent required, yet is a soft subject.

Why did I ever decide to study that at A level? Waste of time unless you're going onto an Art career.

Classics is probably the hardest one I did in terms of respect and difficulty (besides Art). But then again that is no longer a required subject in any field as there are so few centres offering it anymore, thus universities cannot discriminate between pupils who do or do not have it.

Reply 31
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
It's kind of in the middle. A acceptable subject which isn't too easy or too hard but definetly stimulating and requires an autonomous ability to think logically.

It falls in the 'inbetween' category along with:

Psychology
Sociology
Geography
Philosiphy
Archaeology
Electronics
Religious Studies
Computing
Classical Civilisation

I'd put archaeology in a lower tier
Original post by nExow
Stop exaggerating your just making your earlier points look less credible. EDIT: This was meant to be reply to ' Ilovebiology'

Just trying to put forward a valid point, people don't seem to realise the truth in it
Reply 33
Original post by Ilovebiology
Haha, Fair play! I do 3 sciences and business studies :biggrin: hoping to take Geography on instead of Business studies next year :smile:

I had a feeling you might like science for some reason, in particular biology...can't think why :wink: I was never a fan of geography, but each to their own! What do you want to do at uni? :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Lumos
Don't take the 'anything ending in studies' rule too literally. Religious studies is considered a traditional subject by every university. It's not even on the "slightly less suitable" list, which subjects like psychology and government and politics are.

in my opinion i would say religion and philosophy are the hardest alevels, which is why i didnt continue with it at A2, because you need to understand/analyse/critically evaluate/apply different beliefs/values in an essay when you dont agree with some of the beliefs/faiths/ideas you learn

Remember, THIS IS AN OPINION/MY POINT OF VIEW, i even made it bold for those twits out there who think i just said something factual out of an encyclopedia
Original post by ambbs
I had a feeling you might like science for some reason, in particular biology...can't think why :wink: I was never a fan of geography, but each to their own! What do you want to do at uni? :smile:

Haha, how'd you figure that one out?:colondollar: I love my subjects, bar business! The coursework is awful :frown: I wanna do Biochemistry/Biology/Biomedical sciences..something along those lines! What about yourself?:smile:
Reply 36
Haha, how'd you figure that one out?:colondollar: I love my subjects, bar business! The coursework is awful :frown: I wanna do Biochemistry/Biology/Biomedical sciences..something along those lines! What about yourself?:smile:

Pure intuition :wink: Ooh, sounds good :smile: I'm hoping to do maths as it's my favourite (and made even better by the fact that there's no coursework, woo!) I could never do a science at uni, I'm awful at practicals and write ups...not even sure how I'm going to do my science coursework later on this year!
Reply 37
Unless you were severely handi capped (not in anyway trying to be funny btw)I'm pretty sure almost anyone could achieve at the very least a B in 'health and social care' if they put their mind to it. On the other hand, I PERSONALLY think that this would be A LOT more unlikely with a FM exam..

not very nice calling somone "severly handicapped" even if you were funny or not, if may by very easy for you to ace health and social care but that isnt the case for others
Reply 38
Original post by nExow
I'd put archaeology in a lower tier

philosophy is mind boggling....should be at the top, if you think science is hard then philisophy is harder
Reply 39

from the title of your usename!

Quick Reply

Latest