Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Choose Jesus not religion

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been here a few months, and religion is my interest and hobby. I'm passionate about my faith in Jesus Christ and feel the desire to speak against lies, especially those covered in nice looking disguises. I hope nobody has been personally offended by any of my comments. Here's your chance to challenge me on my faith. What is everyone's opinion on the message of Christ? What is your experience with Christianity and the church? I believe beyond all things that the message of Christ is best and perfect answer to a fulfilling life and the best thing for every person's life. I'm putting myself on the defensive here, but I'd love to hear all your rants, complaints, or praises about your experience or opinions about it, so let's have it. I'm more than happy to try, God-willing, to respond to anyone's criticisms.

Let's hear what you have all got to say.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intermittent)
    I've been here a few months, and religion is my interest and hobby. I'm passionate about my faith in Jesus Christ and feel the desire to speak against lies, especially those covered in nice looking disguises. I hope nobody has been personally offended by any of my comments. Here's your chance to challenge me on my faith. What is everyone's opinion on the message of Christ? What is your experience with Christianity and the church? I believe beyond all things that the message of Christ is best and perfect answer to a fulfilling life and the best thing for every person's life. I'm putting myself on the defensive here, but I'd love to hear all your rants, complaints, or praises about your experience or opinions about it, so let's have it. I'm more than happy to try, God-willing, to respond to anyone's criticisms.

Let's hear what you have all got to say.
    well i am christian but i do not beleive the extent of what u preach. i believe there was jesus christ, and i beleive in god however i do not believe many other apects. for example, i do not belive two people were created (adam and eve) who had 2 sons one of which was killed. more people cud not follow form them. i belive they r meteoporiccal. i am a christian beleiving in the big bang and evolution. as well as god and jesus christ
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate organised religion but I like Jesus and God
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lies, its a form of control.

some horrendous acts have been commited in the name of god/jesus christ
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I hate organised religion but I like Jesus and God
    Bit of a Blake fan aren't you?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Bit of a Blake fan aren't you?!
    He just happens to have had the same feelings as me

I was brought up a christian but have been really and truly disillusioned by the church, but I still feel like I have a personal relationship with God (laugh all you like) and I know that Jesus died for me and I believe the Holy Spirit is a real thing. It's just other Christians I have a problem with. lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i am not someones who goes to church i believe in a God and i pray quite a bit you can still believe in God jesus and the holy spirit without going to church
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He just happens to have had the same feelings as me

I was brought up a christian but have been really and truly disillusioned by the church, but I still feel like I have a personal relationship with God (laugh all you like) and I know that Jesus died for me and I believe the Holy Spirit is a real thing. It's just other Christians I have a problem with. lol.
    I was brought up a catholic, but have since lost my zeal. I don't know why you think i'd laugh at you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up a catholic, but have since lost my zeal. I don't know why you think i'd laugh at you
    Oh, I didn't mean you specifically! People seem to think that sounds "corny". I also get annoyed that people assume you're not intelligent for believing in God. I am intelligent... :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am intelligent... :mad:
    Funny you should say that. One of my best friends is a christian, and she used to be teased at school, but she's the most intelligent person I know. People also accused her of being ignorant, but she wasn't either
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe in god, but only as a moral philosophy. I do not believe that a 'god' exists, but i believe the morals laid down in pretty much all religions have a basis for good, and therefore have some use.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The arrogance of atheists. Well, not all of them. A lot of atheists mock the idea of God and believe themselves to be intellectually superior for having realised the 'truth' of science. I was one of them. I thought, what mugs! God can't possibly exist, haven't they heard of science? But then I realised that God, if he does exist, would be outside of the realm of science. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't disprove God with science. To those that believe themselves to be superior for not believing, you'll grow out of it, I hope.
    Ah, now I don't consider myself superior, but I do believe that organised religion is ignorance and for sheep because it doesn't encourage free thought.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The arrogance of atheists. Well, not all of them. A lot of atheists mock the idea of God and believe themselves to be intellectually superior for having realised the 'truth' of science. I was one of them. I thought, what mugs! God can't possibly exist, haven't they heard of science? But then I realised that God, if he does exist, would be outside of the realm of science. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't disprove God with science. To those that believe themselves to be superior for not believing, you'll grow out of it, I hope.
    I am superior for not believing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Science=Truth=God
    Aren't they one and the same?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should say that. One of my best friends is a christian, and she used to be teased at school, but she's the most intelligent person I know. People also accused her of being ignorant, but she wasn't either
    Yeah I think it's true that you can get many religious people who also happen to be intelligent. What I tend to think though, is that these people for whatever reason, do not apply their intelligence to their own religious beliefs. Mostly it tends to be simply because they want to believe something because it makes them feel better. I just happen to be more honest with myself. I'm only interested in what is actually true, not in simply believing a lie because it happens to make me feel better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    Science=Truth=God
    Erm, no. By that logic:

Bread = chopsticks = elephants.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How exactly?
    I'm able to think for myself and have the strength to be able to look at the world for what it actually is, as opposed to what I would like it to be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Yeah I think it's true that you can get many religious people who also happen to be intelligent. What I tend to think though, is that these people for whatever reason, do not apply their intelligence to their own religious beliefs. Mostly it tends to be simply because they want to believe something because it makes them feel better. I just happen to be more honest with myself. I'm only interested in what is actually true, not in simply believing a lie because it happens to make me feel better.
    LOL! So true :-s. If the rigours of logic and verificationism were applied to God, it would reduce to a pile of inconsistent ideas - rarely worthy of being considered profound. Then again, so would most things. In ignorance, most find peace.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    well i am christian but i do not beleive the extent of what u preach. i believe there was jesus christ, and i beleive in god however i do not believe many other apects. for example, i do not belive two people were created (adam and eve) who had 2 sons one of which was killed. more people cud not follow form them. i belive they r meteoporiccal. i am a christian beleiving in the big bang and evolution. as well as god and jesus christ
    We're more similar than you might think, I'm a 'theistic evolutionist' as well. I believe the big bang and evolution were God's mechanisms which he used to create life. I believe the bible is metaphorical in many places. If we believe Jesus is God, and we believe Jesus taught with parables (metaphors), than we can conclude than God can give his message in metaphors. I'm undecided on whether adam and eve were the first humans, or if they represent the greater initial human populace. The bible DOES NOT have to be inerrant (in facts or statements from humans) to have a truthful message.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    lies, its a form of control.

some horrendous acts have been commited in the name of god/jesus christ
    I'm assuming you mean the crusades/inquisition, ect? We have the model of Jesus today which is peaceful. There's no way to use the bible to back up those actions. If I punch some guy in the face in the name of you, would that guy be justified in hating you? No, because you had nothing to do with it, I just abused your good name. So it is with Christ. War is permitted to defend ourselves and stomp out injustice, but those above-mentioned conflicts (massacres is more like it) are not on the model of Jesus whatsoever. Criticize the text/message/doctrine, not the actions of people, because somebody who believes just as you do (whatever that is) did something bad once too. Example: I've heard you eat cheese on occasion. Well I knew a guy who ate cheese killed people! You cheese eaters are all the same!, murderers! I have no reason to believe anything you say! Now clearly that is rediculous, but its illustrates the point.
Updated: March 14, 2004
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.