Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Choose Jesus not religion

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if God does or exist then he certainly isnt the christian one since the world has so much unnecessary evil in it that shows it wasnt created by intelligent design.
    Wrong. Theologically wrong that is. The "excuse", as it were, is that it is either (a) free-will: people are tested whether they can act good in a world where temptations exist and (b) testing the faith of those who follow (if you can keep your faith during a war, you 'qualify').

(Disclaimer: I'm an atheist - this is from my (mis)understanding of Christianity)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    Wrong. Theologically wrong that is. The "excuse", as it were, is that it is either (a) free-will: people are tested whether they can act good in a world where temptations exist and (b) testing the faith of those who follow (if you can keep your faith during a war, you 'qualify').

(Disclaimer: I'm an atheist - this is from my (mis)understanding of Christianity)
    thanks for the disclaimer
    thats such a bad excuse tho from them since if you take the way that a female black widow spider kills the male after mating with it then it seems to suggest that elements in nature that dont have free will are inheritently evil, there is no need for the spider to die like that

or another example what purpose do tape worms that bore into childerns eyes on the river nile blinding them have in the general scheme of things they are evil yet the child didnt choose it to happen

the arguement thus seems to fall down

also why does god feel the need to test us and if god was truely forgiving then he would forgive those who didnt believe
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    thats such a bad excuse tho from them since if you take the way that a female black widow spider kills the male after mating with it then it seems to suggest that elements in nature that dont have free will are inheritently evil, there is no need for the spider to die like that
    There is very good reason for the spider to die. The female spider has eggs to lay and needs all the nourishment she can get. The male has done his job and is merely handy food for the next generation of spiders

or another example what purpose do tape worms that bore into childerns eyes on the river nile blinding them have in the general scheme of things they are evil yet the child didnt choose it to happen
    The tapeworms would maintain that children exist for the good of tapeworms.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    well i am christian but i do not beleive the extent of what u preach. i believe there was jesus christ, and i beleive in god however i do not believe many other apects. for example, i do not belive two people were created (adam and eve) who had 2 sons one of which was killed. more people cud not follow form them. i belive they r meteoporiccal. i am a christian beleiving in the big bang and evolution. as well as god and jesus christ

This describes most Christians.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    thanks for the disclaimer

the arguement thus seems to fall down

also why does god feel the need to test us and if god was truely forgiving then he would forgive those who didnt believe

Surely to be evil, one needs to have an understanding of what one is doing, and be aware of the repercussions of all one's actions.
    Would you argue that tapeworms and spiders have the intelligence that is necessary to be "evil"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Would you argue that tapeworms and spiders have the intelligence that is necessary to be "evil"?
    What about a maker? Imagine a machine which works like a spider or tapeworm. Is its maker evil?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    What about a maker? Imagine a machine which works like a spider or tapeworm. Is its maker evil?

If we're being fair, then these animals are no more evil than humans who eat other animals, wear their coats, use them for labour, kill them when they have the audacity to enter their house....

If there is a maker, maybe they realised that this is how things exist. Is there a better way? I don't know.

I presume you believe in the theory of evolution, so even if there is some creator, these things came about naturally.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    If we're being fair, then these animals are no more evil than humans who eat other animals, wear their coats, use them for labour, kill them when they have the audacity to enter their house....
    Certainly, but we don't make huge moral claims for human beings.

If there is a maker, maybe they realised that this is how things exist. Is there a better way? I don't know.

I presume you believe in the theory of evolution, so even if there is some creator, these things came about naturally.
    The problem with christianity and islam is that both believe in an omnipotent god, so things are like this as a result of deliberate decisions by a supposedly good being. If they came about naturally, it was still decided they would come about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Certainly, but we don't make huge moral claims for human beings.
    Very few people would call the human race collectively "evil".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so u think God should allow tape worms to turn children blind and cause them much pain, if the tape worm was a person and did the same then we would say they are evil. so if God designed them, he surely must to done since if he created the universe then he surely also created the mechanism of evoultion then, i dont quite see how you can claim that he is benivalent.

on the issue of the need of the mother spider to gain food, if god designed the world the death of its partner surely wouldnt be necessary if there was a surplus of food.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "God sez 'Do not kill'. God sez 'Love your neigbour as yourself'. God sez 'Blessed are the peacemakers'. God sez 'Trust in me'. But we dont.

We call religion old fashioned and constrictive and tell each other that it doesnt have any place in the modern world. Then we look up and demand 'How could God let this happen?!' as the second plane flies into the world trade centre.

Neiche declared that god is dead and then lost his mind. The world seems to be doing its best to follow suit."

I just posted the above on another thread, but it seems just as pertinent here.
Updated: March 14, 2004
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.