The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

How's life at Swansea really?!

Hey,

So, sending off UCAS on Tuesday and one of my choices is Swansea! I've never been there before, and I haven't heard much about it (I know I can, it is definitely a popular uni but yes). How's life there? If you go there tell me about your time there, the feel you have of the place, are there goood socities? And, also is there a lot of international students ? I'd love to meet loads of international students:smile: Also, how's the accommodation? I'm not really one for clubbing, or going to the pubs..

Thanks, just general feedback from the place.
I love living in Swansea :smile: It's probably just like every other town, you got whatever you could wish for if you know where to look. Apart from the fact that when you step out of the front door the beach is driectly infront of you :smile: like about 90 seconds I'm not exaggerating. I studied there in the summer, accommodation was simple but you can make it your own, pretty much standard to what you'd expect but it depends where you are there are differences. In my block we had nice comfy beds, wardrobe, desk, chairs, sink, mirror, big window (i love a bright room). The social side is awesome I m not very social bur I was when I was there haha there was so much to do. We went to a gymnastics hall, laser zone, cinema, bowling, fancy dress parties, zumba classes, football, gym every day and I forget what else lol. Like you, I'm not one for clubbing and drinking non stop, which is nice because even though Wine Street is so popular and when you're there it's a good time, I probably only go every..actually no I can't remember the last time I went haha. It's a big strip of clubs and bars but it's only one long street so it's not spread out all over town like I imagine other towns to be. I'd rather chill for a few in a nice comfy chilled out pub or in the bar in the uni. And yes, there is a vaaaasst quantity of international students :smile: I am going in September. Have fun making your decision :smile:
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
The person above me must've been to a university called Swansea University but in a parallel universe; it's not at all like that.

Swansea university is pretty dire. The facilities are awful, like for the money you pay you expect a fairly decent standard of an institution. This isn't so. The outlets for food are lacklustre and pretty limited (it is in fact a very small campus with nothing, absolutely nothing, going on. I'm an Economics student in my 3rd year and despite being a fairly 'academically' driven individual, I relish in the chance to ruminate through a new topic, I've found my time here to have attempted to squash that attribute completely. The societies are crap; I'm an avid film fan and when I saw the film listings for the film society I was disgusted. It's full of southerners, mainly middle class. The integration between internationals doesn't really happen much unless the international wants to get drunk most of the time and pass a few exams. It's a very sheepish place with not much going on.

The city is also just an abomination. Please be aware that Swansea is a Economically depressed place, one of the most economically depressed place in the United Kingdom. South Wales is pretty awful. I gurantee if you speak to the locals and tell them you study here they'd simply laugh at you for choosing such an awful place. If I can save one person from making a pretty fateful decision I'll be happy. Choose a place more central, closer to England where you can travel around and visit loads of places. There's nothing here - even the scenic beauty is lacking badly. I don't mean to go on a rant but honestly it's crap man. I reckon the person above me has been recruited by the uni or something to just sell some fallacious agenda which profits his employers 'cause it's really boring.

Don't get me started on faculty. Talk about depressing and sad overeducated people. Good luck with your choice but I strongly urge you not to come here.
Reply 3
Original post by K1erz
The person above me must've been to a university called Swansea University but in a parallel universe; it's not at all like that.

Swansea university is pretty dire. The facilities are awful, like for the money you pay you expect a fairly decent standard of an institution. This isn't so. The outlets for food are lacklustre and pretty limited (it is in fact a very small campus with nothing, absolutely nothing, going on. I'm an Economics student in my 3rd year and despite being a fairly 'academically' driven individual, I relish in the chance to ruminate through a new topic, I've found my time here to have attempted to squash that attribute completely. The societies are crap; I'm an avid film fan and when I saw the film listings for the film society I was disgusted. It's full of southerners, mainly middle class. The integration between internationals doesn't really happen much unless the international wants to get drunk most of the time and pass a few exams. It's a very sheepish place with not much going on.

The city is also just an abomination. Please be aware that Swansea is a Economically depressed place, one of the most economically depressed place in the United Kingdom. South Wales is pretty awful. I gurantee if you speak to the locals and tell them you study here they'd simply laugh at you for choosing such an awful place. If I can save one person from making a pretty fateful decision I'll be happy. Choose a place more central, closer to England where you can travel around and visit loads of places. There's nothing here - even the scenic beauty is lacking badly. I don't mean to go on a rant but honestly it's crap man. I reckon the person above me has been recruited by the uni or something to just sell some fallacious agenda which profits his employers 'cause it's really boring.

Don't get me started on faculty. Talk about depressing and sad overeducated people. Good luck with your choice but I strongly urge you not to come here.

I barely know where to begin in unpicking this poor attempt at a reasoned evaluation.

Firstly we pay a standard amount, just like any other student at any UK university who is now in year 2 or 3, and this money is called a "Tuition Fee". As such I expect this money to go on things such as lecturers wages, research (where applicable), the lecture theatres, the library and the cost of the internet/power/maintenance of the facilities first and foremost. However at this point we need to stop and remember that many current buildings are coming to the end of their life and will shortly be demolished as the new campus takes over many subject areas. I'm sure you as an economics student will appreciate to this leading to some areas being left a bit neglected, especially on the outside (though the library and Faraday facelift does show them taking some concern I the upkeep of campus buildings), as why would the university plough money into a building just to demolish it?

We should also hesitate to draw daft conclusions from limited evidence, for example "The economics department is rubbish" does not mean "All departments suck".

I can't really dispute the quality of food outlets, but then again does this really matter? Take a packed lunch, go to Costcutters, it's hardly a deal breaker.

In regards to the film society I haven't been and so can't tell if you are overly pretentious about films or if they generally suck, although if they are that bad get on the committee, it can't take up much time running the film society. Alternatively, great, they suck, watch films with your house mates and join something else for the social side. Also, we go back to the whole "one part of a thing can't necessarily be extrapolated the the whole" again. Just because one society is poor in your opinion doesn't mean all would be.

I can definitely say, with no doubt, that the point about international students not mixing is utter nonsense, you clearly never tried hard enough. Admittedly in halls I had it easy as over half of the 18 on our floor were international, but still they did go to societies. Ergo, go join societies and meet people.

Moving on, you are an idiot. I concede that it is to a degree economically depressed, however the more regularly visited places i.e. the city centre are much less so having had a £1bn development recently, with work ongoing all the time. Also, since we are students getting the same amount of money in loans as everywhere outside London it doesn't take an economist to see that our money will stretch a little further, bonus. And in any case in any place in the UK, or world for that matter, places will have better and worse parts. As long as where you live and go regularly is OK what's the issue? And a student housing area is never going to look amazing, ever.

To address the scenic beauty issue we will use Wikipedia: "In 1956 Gower became the first area in Britain to be designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.". In short, if you don't find the Gower even remotely attractive then there is no hope for you in the UK really.

To conclude, I'm convinced you'd be bitching and moaning wherever you'd gone, I also find your "review" lacking balance and rigour of any kind, whilst conceding that my post isn't overly balanced.

OP: You'll get good views and bad but ultimately it will condense down to how much the reviewer has got from their experience. In the end it will be what you make of it, nothing more nothing less.
Reply 4
I'm finishing my final year at Swansea now and I have to say - you're in for a great few years. Depending on your interests your experience will obviously be different to mine - I'm really into the arts/open mics and the like, and Swansea is the place where arts events are the most easily accessible of any place I've ever been.
If you're really into going out/getting involved with your flatmates and uni life then it's a great choice too - I can't really speak highly enough of Swansea. But if you aren't, there are a TON of societies and they do aim to have socials that aren't just going to the pub, so that non-drinkers don't feel left out.

tl;dr - Swansea is a brilliant place and you'll have an awesome time! I chose to stay here after graduating because I'd miss it so much.
Reply 5
Original post by K1erz

The city is also just an abomination. Please be aware that Swansea is a Economically depressed place, one of the most economically depressed place in the United Kingdom. South Wales is pretty awful. I gurantee if you speak to the locals and tell them you study here they'd simply laugh at you for choosing such an awful place. If I can save one person from making a pretty fateful decision I'll be happy. Choose a place more central, closer to England where you can travel around and visit loads of places. There's nothing here - even the scenic beauty is lacking badly.

I dont know about the university itself but i went there on Saturday for an open day and will be applying for Sept next year.
As for the city itself, its on the shortlist for City of Culture 2017 with Dundee, Hull and Leicester so cant be that bad eh and as a local i certainly wont be laughing at you. Yes it is just one of the most economially depressed places in Britain but so is Middlesbrough, parts of Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham etc. Its an amazing place, the scenery is beautiful (you have the beach, gower, brecon beacons and thats just nearby. If you have the time you could go to Cardiff, Tenby, Newquay etc..) and the people are some of the nicest you could hope to meet.
Yes there are areas you wouldnt like to go to and people you would cross the road to avoid but that is the same in every city in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest