The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Anyone applying for Computer Science MSci for 2013 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey guys, can you please answer these questions :P

1. What are you currently studying?

2. What did you get in your first year?

3. Are you Female/Male?

4. Have you completed your UCAS application?

--- My Answers ---
1. I'm doing a BTEC in Software Development.

2. I got 6 D and 5 M in my first year.

3. I'm male.

4. I have my offer to do CS at lancaster but i am going to try and apply foe industrial xp when i get a high grade than my predicted grade.
@ Trish its nice to see that there will be a girl doing CS unlike at my college :P

i hope you guys get your offers soon :smile:

Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by romy321
Hey guys, can you please answer these questions :P

1. What are you currently studying?

2. What did you get in your first year?

3. Are you Female/Male?

4. Have you completed your UCAS application?

--- My Answers ---
1. I'm doing a BTEC in Software Development.

2. I got 6 D and 5 M in my first year.

3. I'm male.

4. I have my offer to do CS at lancaster but i am going to try and apply foe industrial xp when i get a high grade than my predicted grade.
@ Trish its nice to see that there will be a girl doing CS unlike at my college :P

i hope you guys get your offers soon :smile:

Who is Trish?

I'm Tish.

I have all 5 offers.

Firmed lancaster :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 62
Original post by Tish
Which one you going to?

Ah >.< only just noticed this message sorry, I'm going to the open day on Saturday the 16th of february:smile:
Reply 63
Original post by canmanu
Ah >.< only just noticed this message sorry, I'm going to the open day on Saturday the 16th of february:smile:

Aha im going to the wednesday one before that sat. ^_^

How long did it take everyone to receive offers? Its almost been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from any uni :frown:
Original post by MotherTruckerr
How long did it take everyone to receive offers? Its almost been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from any uni :frown:

For my Comp Science offer I did an application around the near of November and got my offer from Lancaster end of Jan.
Reply 66
I just received an unconditional offer for this course! Just made my day XD

I assume I will get a letter in the post inviting me to the open day?
Reply 67
Original post by Vadsi
I just received an unconditional offer for this course! Just made my day XD

I assume I will get a letter in the post inviting me to the open day?

Congrats ^_^.

Yeah you will, if not just ring up or book online anyways.

I cant wait to go and move away ^_^

Reply 68
Original post by Tish
Congrats ^_^.

Yeah you will, if not just ring up or book online anyways.

I cant wait to go and move away ^_^

I got the letter today. I think I'll book for the open day next Wednesday. I'm interested to see what the place looks like and hopefully learn about what programming languages are covered on the degree.
Reply 69
Original post by Vadsi
I got the letter today. I think I'll book for the open day next Wednesday. I'm interested to see what the place looks like and hopefully learn about what programming languages are covered on the degree.

In my course we do vb, c#, c, c++ and java scripting.

I was picked amongst other students to do artificial intel club we focus on c++.

I love BTECS haha.

Im going to the one in feb on a wednesday.

Ive already visited and firmed Lancaster.

Reply 70
Original post by Tish
In my course we do vb, c#, c, c++ and java scripting.

I was picked amongst other students to do artificial intel club we focus on c++.

I love BTECS haha.

Im going to the one in feb on a wednesday.

Ive already visited and firmed Lancaster.

is CCNA 1 or 2 apart of your units? Just wondering if my class are the only ones doing it
Reply 71
Original post by cost
is CCNA 1 or 2 apart of your units? Just wondering if my class are the only ones doing it

No but for some reason they sound familiar. Cant pin it on something though lol.

Reply 72
Original post by Vadsi

I can answer this! Sory for not being abnout much, dissertations are manic things to do! :biggrin:

I'm on the old course, but I can tell you now that the languages you'll cover on the new course are:

Scratch (just for the first two weeks, to make sure everyone's OK with the conceptes of looping, etc).
Python - because prototypes and libraries everywhere, it's a good starting language
C - Running on either Ubuntu VMs or a Solaris 10 SPARC box.
Java - v6, sadly, unless you use your own machine. Though there is currently an Android based group project, which is why Java 6 is used.
Erlang - As part of the second year Advanced Programming course
MIPS ASM as part of the first year achitecture course
PIC ASM/Embedded C for the Embedded Systems course if you take that option in your third year - I seriously reccommend you do, so it runs for everyone, the course is the best thing that the department offers right now, IMO.
Scheme - as part of the AI module as an option in third year.

The important thing is to take a breadth of paradigms away from the course. Once you know one language, it's easy to learn another of a similar type (Java/C#, F#/Haskell/Erlang, Scheme/Closure, etc).

Hope that answers your question. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Tathrim
I can answer this! Sory for not being abnout much, dissertations are manic things to do! :biggrin:

I'm on the old course, but I can tell you now that the languages you'll cover on the new course are:

Scratch (just for the first two weeks, to make sure everyone's OK with the conceptes of looping, etc).
Python - because prototypes and libraries everywhere, it's a good starting language
C - Running on either Ubuntu VMs or a Solaris 10 SPARC box.
Java - v6, sadly, unless you use your own machine. Though there is currently an Android based group project, which is why Java 6 is used.
Erlang - As part of the second year Advanced Programming course
MIPS ASM as part of the first year achitecture course
PIC ASM/Embedded C for the Embedded Systems course if you take that option in your third year - I seriously reccommend you do, so it runs for everyone, the course is the best thing that the department offers right now, IMO.
Scheme - as part of the AI module as an option in third year.

The important thing is to take a breadth of paradigms away from the course. Once you know one language, it's easy to learn another of a similar type (Java/C#, F#/Haskell/Erlang, Scheme/Closure, etc).

Hope that answers your question. :biggrin:

What are the exams like?

Are they written or computer based?

Can you give me an example of a question and how you go about answering it?

Is revision like revising for science or maths based exams? Do you have to show working outs? When you answer a question are there key words which need to be identified and explained in order to get the marks?

Reply 74
Original post by Tish
What are the exams like?

Are they written or computer based?

Can you give me an example of a question and how you go about answering it?

Is revision like revising for science or maths based exams? Do you have to show working outs? When you answer a question are there key words which need to be identified and explained in order to get the marks?

Written.

Can't really give many examples, because the course changes a lot.

Revision is mostly like science based ones, it's about recalling the facts and revising the theory. Statements and keywords do matter, but it's really dependent on the module.
Reply 75
Original post by Tathrim
Written.

Can't really give many examples, because the course changes a lot.

Revision is mostly like science based ones, it's about recalling the facts and revising the theory. Statements and keywords do matter, but it's really dependent on the module.

Hmmm not too bad then, but not saying im going to get 100% either haha.
Reply 76
I wanna keep this thread going!!

Who went to the open day Sat 16th Feb?

I came into the lecture like 45 minutes late, but I've been to the talks before so didn't miss much.

Is it true that the department give us iPads? I was going to buy one but if we get one for free why not save.

I ended up losing my group leader (Oliver) :frown: so i missed accommodation viewing how was it?

Anyone actually gone or going to the open days who have firmed lancaster?

Reply 77
Original post by Tish
I wanna keep this thread going!!

Who went to the open day Sat 16th Feb?

I came into the lecture like 45 minutes late, but I've been to the talks before so didn't miss much.

Is it true that the department give us iPads? I was going to buy one but if we get one for free why not save.

I ended up losing my group leader (Oliver) :frown: so i missed accommodation viewing how was it?

Anyone actually gone or going to the open days who have firmed lancaster?

Went to the Wednesday one on the 13th, it was ok, weather was terrible, but went we saw a en-suit accommodation it was nice and warm.....
Reply 78
Original post by Tish

The department does not (unless they've changed their minds) give us iPads. It would be VERY expensive.
1. Currently studying-maths, ICT and english language
2. first year- BBCC (i've re-sat all of these)
3. female
4.yep, have offer for ABB

Quick Reply

Latest