The Student Room Group

University of Strathclyde Formula Student team

Hey guys,

Here's a news story about the University of Strathclyde's Formula Student Team. They have just received new sponsorship. I know many Universities don't have Formula Student teams because of financial constraints, but this shows you that partnerships can work with outside parties.

Do we have any Formula Student drivers on this site?

Student racing receives new sponsorship

A student racing team has been buoyed by the news that it has secured sponsorship with a leading online car portal.
The University of Strathclyde Formula Student team which relies on funding from sponsorship in order to compete at the highest level has been celebrating a deal with www.motoring.co.uk for the forthcoming season.
The team enters a racing car into the Formula Student competitions in the UK and Germany, where more than 3,000 students take part. A total of 132 teams from across the globe are challenged to design, manufacture and compete at Silverstone and Nuremburg.
Speaking on behalf of the Formula Student Team, Roy Yuile, technical director, said: “Formula Student is an incredible way for young engineers to develop their practical, technical and management skills outside the lecture theatre by designing, building and racing a single seat racing car.
“Strathclyde is one of the UK's top FS teams, competing at Silverstone and Hockenheim every year. Our sponsors and partners provide us with the resources we need to run a successful race team, and we are immensely grateful for this opportunity. Without their support, our team simply could not exist.”
As well as receiving the support of www.motoring.co.uk, the university’s engineering faculty and graduates association also actively back the team.
The competition allows students to implement the skills they are learning on their courses in a practical and competitive environment, with some universities including the project as part of their degree.
John Caslin, head of IT at motoring.co.uk, said: “We are delighted to support the University of Strathclyde Formula Student project. Developing young engineering talent is vital for the future of the motoring industry, and we are happy to aid in encouraging that development through this sponsorship.”
Reply 1
Original post by LillaJade
Hey guys,

Here's a news story about the University of Strathclyde's Formula Student Team. They have just received new sponsorship. I know many Universities don't have Formula Student teams because of financial constraints, but this shows you that partnerships can work with outside parties.

Do we have any Formula Student drivers on this site?

Student racing receives new sponsorship

A student racing team has been buoyed by the news that it has secured sponsorship with a leading online car portal.
The University of Strathclyde Formula Student team which relies on funding from sponsorship in order to compete at the highest level has been celebrating a deal with www.motoring.co.uk for the forthcoming season.
The team enters a racing car into the Formula Student competitions in the UK and Germany, where more than 3,000 students take part. A total of 132 teams from across the globe are challenged to design, manufacture and compete at Silverstone and Nuremburg.
Speaking on behalf of the Formula Student Team, Roy Yuile, technical director, said: “Formula Student is an incredible way for young engineers to develop their practical, technical and management skills outside the lecture theatre by designing, building and racing a single seat racing car.
“Strathclyde is one of the UK's top FS teams, competing at Silverstone and Hockenheim every year. Our sponsors and partners provide us with the resources we need to run a successful race team, and we are immensely grateful for this opportunity. Without their support, our team simply could not exist.”
As well as receiving the support of www.motoring.co.uk, the university’s engineering faculty and graduates association also actively back the team.
The competition allows students to implement the skills they are learning on their courses in a practical and competitive environment, with some universities including the project as part of their degree.
John Caslin, head of IT at motoring.co.uk, said: “We are delighted to support the University of Strathclyde Formula Student project. Developing young engineering talent is vital for the future of the motoring industry, and we are happy to aid in encouraging that development through this sponsorship.”

i am applying to Derby to do a non motorsport related course but they do have some msport course and i was wondering if i can just get involved as a extra curicular activity, if im not a zooloogist i would race cars as i have a few friends in the industry. thanks for this article is interesting i will have to research more for derby, but this makes it look promising. :smile:
Reply 2
I would have thought so though. I imagine it's much like any other sport at university
Haha worst team ever

💷Certified 💷
Reply 4
Original post by elarge
i am applying to Derby to do a non motorsport related course but they do have some msport course and i was wondering if i can just get involved as a extra curicular activity, if im not a zooloogist i would race cars as i have a few friends in the industry. thanks for this article is interesting i will have to research more for derby, but this makes it look promising. :smile:

I think Formula Student is primarily targeted at students studying Mechanical Engineering & similar related courses. Unless you were on one of those courses I doubt you'd have the knowledge required to be of much use in a Formula Student team. Perhaps if you could show that you had exceptional driving skill and/or mechanical competency you might be able to get involved, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Many unis do have motorsports clubs so you can still get involved with motorsport (BUKC etc.), even if it's not specifically Formula Student.
Reply 5
Original post by JO53PHS
I think Formula Student is primarily targeted at students studying Mechanical Engineering & similar related courses. Unless you were on one of those courses I doubt you'd have the knowledge required to be of much use in a Formula Student team. Perhaps if you could show that you had exceptional driving skill and/or mechanical competency you might be able to get involved, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Many unis do have motorsports clubs so you can still get involved with motorsport (BUKC etc.), even if it's not specifically Formula Student.

How do you have the knowledge of how to build one of these cars, I wouldn't even know where to begin?
Reply 6
Generally Formula Student is something undertaken by 3rd/4th year students studying Mechanical/Automotive Engineering, so by this point you'd have quite a lot of knowledge under your belt.
Reply 7
Original post by JO53PHS

People from outside of mech eng get involved all the time, although usually more from the business school or the maths school than from zoology.

Original post by JO53PHS
Generally Formula Student is something undertaken by 3rd/4th year students studying Mechanical/Automotive Engineering, so by this point you'd have quite a lot of knowledge under your belt.

Generally, the 1st/2nd years learn from the 3rd/4th years and there are faculty advisors too. I know that in the case of Oxford Brookes a lot of the recent grads also still go back to help out too.
Reply 8
I could always stick to helping out at the motorsport events as Derby is close to a couple of tracks so i will help my touring car friends out there if not, it was just a query!

Quick Reply

Latest