The Student Room Group

Employment Law Problem Question

I'm just in the process of trying to work through a problem question on employment law at the moment but having difficulty establishing the "relevant law" to start me off (after identifying the relevant facts), so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the point direction?

The lease of the office of Magna Insurance Ltd is due to come to an end and the company seeks to save costs by moving to a smaller building. A decision has been taken to move to a different building on the same street (less than one mile away). Two consequences of this are that car parking facilities are no longer available and that all staff will work in open plan offices. The company argues that, aside from cost
saving, this is part of a green strategy to save energy and promote the use of environmentally friendly forms of transport. Employees will be offered discounted bus passes and membership of a bike purchase scheme.
The company informs everyone by letter that the office move will take place in a week's time.

Emily is a busy mum as she has three children. Before arriving at work she must drop off the two older children at the school breakfast club (20 minutes drive from home) and the youngest child at the child-minder’s house, (30 minutes drive from the school) before driving to work (30 minutes drive from the child-minder’s house). This journey would take approximately three hours on public transport.

The document containing the written terms and conditions of employment is silent on the matters of parking and mobility.

Advise Emily
Looks like TUPE to me.

Quick Reply

Latest