The Student Room Group

I think I burnt my skin!

A few days ago I had a cold sore, so i tried to get rid of it. I put toothpaste on it and it seemed like it was working. I could feel it sort off burning, so I'm thinking its getting better. I also put on this cold sore cream called Zovirax on. The next morning I woke and I saw skin my burnt and swollen just underneath my lips where the cold sore was. I went to my local GP and got a prescription from them and she said that it was an irritation. She prescribed me an antibiotic cream to put on. Well it hasn't really worked yet. The swelling is gone but i still have the burnt mark below my lips and it seems like it wont go off.
I actually don't know what do. I need suggestions please. I'm thinking it will never come off.

Thanks.
Reply 1
well you can keep putting **** on your mouth and make the problem worse or you could follow your GP's advice and wait for your lip to heal
Reply 2
I was only trying to make it better, but i actually made things worse.:frown:
Reply 3
Patience! Don't touch it, or put anything on it apart from the antibiotic cream and it will heal- it'll just take a while.
Reply 4
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will be patient.
Reply 5
Original post by momomo123
I was only trying to make it better, but i actually made things worse.:frown:

If toothpaste was intended to magically heal cold sores then it wouldn't be called toothpaste.
Reply 6
You put toothpaste on a cold sore!!???

Oh my...
I don't know how to tell you this... But putting toothpaste on a cold sore makes your balls fall off.
Sorry bro.
Reply 7
Bull ****
Reply 8
It looks like I have a birth mark under my bottom lip.
Reply 9
It will fade and return to the normal colour, I use toothpaste on coldsores and it works better than zoveraxe, it does dry them out (feels like burning).
Reply 10
The problem is I used both which caused an irrtiation. I think the chemicals sort of reacted together.
Reply 11
The best way to treat them is to keep them moist - using a lip balm or Vaseline. However, you have to throw out the lip balm or Vaseline after the cold sore's cleared up so as not to reinfect yourself. If using a lip balm in a tin, wash you hands before and after applying it or do what I do and apply with a cotton bud which you can throw away, making sure not to dip it in the tin again after applying to your lip. I get an allergic reaction to Zovirax too which makes it look even worse because the whole area swells up! Those patches by Compeed are also good if you're tempted to pick it or poke at it.
My advice:

In my experience here are some of the top treatments that have worked well for me:
1.Viradux-Coldsore This is kind of new and instantly wiped out my CS. No Ob's since I stated using it 5 months ago.
2. Abreva - also works but not as quickly. My sores always came back too.
3. Ice - works somewhat.
2. Diet - Always a good idea to keep away from junk or processed foods.
1. Exercise/Sleep - also helps keep the sores from forming.

Quick Reply

Latest