The Student Room Group

Imperial Mechanical Engineering Interview

Hey Guys,

Was just wondering if any of you have any tips/info on what the Imperial mechanical engineering interview is like. Is it academic like a Cambridge one or is it more general? Got my interview next week so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by mnajjar10
Hey Guys,

Was just wondering if any of you have any tips/info on what the Imperial mechanical engineering interview is like. Is it academic like a Cambridge one or is it more general? Got my interview next week so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

Congrats when did you apply?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Cheers mate. I applied on the 10th of October. Anyway, do you know anything about the interview process?
Reply 3
Cheers mate. I applied on the 10th of October. Anyway, do you know anything about the interview process?

Well I didn't have a formal interview anywhere yet but after I received an offer from Southampton I went on an applicant day. There someone took me to a room for an "informal" interview so he asked stuff like why do you want to do engineering? Why Southampton? He also started discussing stuff I wrote on my personal statement. On your ucas track does it say interview or did you just get an email from them? You haven't received an offer from them yet I guess?

Reply 4
Hey Guys,

Cheers.

Congrats man, i too applied for mech eng @ Imperial. I havent received an interview yet however :/ what are ur grades/extra curicular like?
Reply 5
Original post by shayanc
Well I didn't have a formal interview anywhere yet but after I received an offer from Southampton I went on an applicant day. There someone took me to a room for an "informal" interview so he asked stuff like why do you want to do engineering? Why Southampton? He also started discussing stuff I wrote on my personal statement. On your ucas track does it say interview or did you just get an email from them? You haven't received an offer from them yet I guess?

Yeah received an offer from Southampton too for MechEng! Nah just got an email saying they would like to see me for interview. Getting nervous! Interview on Wednesday!!!
Reply 6
Original post by 05hassay
Congrats man, i too applied for mech eng @ Imperial. I havent received an interview yet however :/ what are ur grades/extra curicular like?

Not to worry! It takes time for these things and it also obviously depends on when you applied. My predicted grades are 4D2's in Double Maths, Physics and Economics ( I do the Pre-U). Extra curricular is mainly robotics club, motor club, football, lectures etc. What about you?
Reply 7
Not to worry! It takes time for these things and it also obviously depends on when you applied. My predicted grades are 4D2's in Double Maths, Physics and Economics ( I do the Pre-U). Extra curricular is mainly robotics club, motor club, football, lectures etc. What about you?

I've got actual grades A*AAA in Further Maths, Maths, Chem and Physics. Ive been volunteer for covering first aid for events and taught maths to primary school kids. i've havent got much thats relevant to mechanical engineer although im looking for industrial placements asap. im not sure in how mech eng admissions process work as in when interviews are given etc as ive sent my application oct 1st
Reply 8
I've got actual grades A*AAA in Further Maths, Maths, Chem and Physics. Ive been volunteer for covering first aid for events and taught maths to primary school kids. i've havent got much thats relevant to mechanical engineer although im looking for industrial placements asap. im not sure in how mech eng admissions process work as in when interviews are given etc as ive sent my application oct 1st

Wow you got an A* in F maths and an A in single maths? hahahha

Yeah I'm applying for the YINI scheme
Be prepared to derive Navier-Stokes equation
Reply 10
I do hope you're joking. That isn't part of any kind of syllabus and involves partial derivatives which is quite early to work with given that most people have just started their further pure topics. Plus, it isn't really a sign of academic agility but rather good memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yeah received an offer from Southampton too for MechEng! Nah just got an email saying they would like to see me for interview. Getting nervous! Interview on Wednesday!!!

Good luck man! I've applied to imperial too but no way am I getting an offer loool, so competitive there! It's crazy.

Reply 12
Original post by shayanc
Good luck man! I've applied to imperial too but no way am I getting an offer loool, so competitive there! It's crazy.

Cheers! Always good to have some hope at least!
Reply 13
Wow you got an A* in F maths and an A in single maths? hahahha

Yeah I'm applying for the YINI scheme

yh it's weird doing better at f maths and i had to call up uni's to make sure that they'll still consider me. maths was stingy i got 89% A2 and 95% AS which is a load of *******s.

I'm apply for YINI aswell. Have u heard of the scholarship they offer for YINI ppl?
Reply 14
yh it's weird doing better at f maths and i had to call up uni's to make sure that they'll still consider me. maths was stingy i got 89% A2 and 95% AS which is a load of *******s.

I'm apply for YINI aswell. Have u heard of the scholarship they offer for YINI ppl?

Hahahaha. No I haven't heard about that. I am yet to apply. Just focusing on interviews at the minute. I am worried that submitting the YINI application late might put me at some disadvantage.
Reply 15
Btw how do you get to that page where it shows all the offers people have received?

Quick Reply

Latest