The Student Room Group

What's the worst thing about University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
For me it's just the massive workload and my inability to manage it. Hopefully things will get better next term when it's not all maths or logic.
Knowing I have to do work, knowing I have lots of it, having to explain constantly to everybody I'm not going out and then at 3 am in the middle of some terrible drunken dancing realise once again they somehow persuaded me.

That and getting back from the library and forgetting one of the books you need, doh!
Being kept awake by noisy neighbours.

Being away from home. Although you get used to it, I still miss home but not to the too-upset-to-do-anything extent. I always had quite a lot of freedom at home because my parents trusted me to act maturely, so being at university hasn't really given me any more freedom than I already had. I do enjoy living independently and cooking my own meals, but I also miss being looked after and generally having a bit of company (I now live in my own rented flat).

I also miss having a structured day - I have very few contact hours and I have to organise myself to do most of the work outside of classes, rather than having a 9-5 timetable with only a little bit of homework, as at school. Now I feel like I have a complete reversal of that - with lots of 'homework' and very few lessons. I think I'd be better off with the 9-6 timetable of a science student where my day is much more structured.
Original post by py0alb
ha, this is the only bad thing I could think of about uni, the freezing conditions of 2nd year student houses in the winter.

Everything else is great.

Another one of the reasons why I have my own flat where I can regulate the heating.
Personally, I think the worst thing about university is the 'price' you pay to go there in the first place. £9,000 (a year) for an education is ridiculous.
Studying modules which bore you to death and make working a real struggle... which would be all my modules for this semester.
Original post by __Student__
At uni do you have a lecture every day or what. Someone explain to me how it works please
*Note* i'm a gcse student so i dont have a clue*

It really depends on what course you are doing. I read someone had 11 hours of contact time a week which seems like a heck of a lot to me; I get around 7 hours if I'm lucky! I have mainly seminars (like normal classes you have in a school where you discuss reading or debate a topic), but I have the odd lecture once a month or so. I have a placement one day a week too, though it has stopped now until January.

The amount of independent work is what you want to worry about. I do around 5 hours a day, which is around 35 hours a week, which is just ridiculous. Sometimes it can get really difficult to manage.
I reckon a lot of students would say their worst experience at uni has been something to do with relationships that didn't work out or someone they fancied but wasn't interested in them back.

Uni is the worst place to get an unrequited crush on someone because you are likely to see a lot of them, you are likely to see them surrounded by a lot of other hot people and they are probably going to end up getting with someone else and you will be aware of that and find it difficult to deal with.

This is especially bad if it happens in first year or especially the first term when you are a bit unsettled and vulnerable anyway and don't have a strong network round you like you do at home, it can feel very lonely to be rejected.

I saw a lot of students when I was at uni, suffer really badly from experiences to do with romantic disappointment. If it happens at the wrong time it can damage your academic results too.
Being a loner...
That I am not there yet...
Reply 70
Being forced to eat my own cooking........ no one should ever have to go through something like that.
Original post by thefunktopus69
My Lewes Court block fire alarm decided to go off at 430am (I had a 9am the next day aswell), then off at 530am and then 430 again the next week. You can't ignore it aswell because it is SO piercing!

Errgh, the firealarm is the worst wakeup call ever! It's almost traumatising aha :p:
Being on a course where everyone is very cliquey... Seem like such a high school thing... But it still exists -___-
Original post by discomposure
Errgh, the firealarm is the worst wakeup call ever! It's almost traumatising aha :p:

it also went off on thursday at 03:36 -and we had to stand in the freezing cold for 20 mins whilst the security faffed around.
Reply 74
Original post by thefunktopus69
it also went off on thursday at 03:36 -and we had to stand in the freezing cold for 20 mins whilst the security faffed around.

yeah I had that last monday. Fire alarm at 4am after a weekend without any sleep at all thanks to an essay that was due on monday. But somehow I always seem to see them coming, I have a feeling there might be one this night. Hope I'm wrong...
Reply 75
The hangovers.
The student lifestyle is perfect. Except for all those classes I have to go to.
Reply 77
That you do see the best and worst of people your age, and you're (in first year anyway) forced to live with these people. It has upsides and downsides, but you do meet some utterly selfish pricks. And you can end up seeing some of the worst people in humanity. People who think the world revolves around their head, and that you should worship at their feet.

Or maybe it's just me who seems to come across these people far to often/ has a low tolerance threshold for them.
Original post by (:Becca(:
The student lifestyle is perfect. Except for all those classes I have to go to.

Student lifestyle is the best lived in university. When you leave uni you have to get a full time job to keep yourself afloat and you can't really hang around with students anymore.

Plus the student lifestyle is destructive. All that beer, pizza, sweets, noodles, beans, etc :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jblackmoustache
Student lifestyle is the best lived in university. When you leave uni you have to get a full time job to keep yourself afloat and you can't really hang around with students anymore.

Plus the student lifestyle is destructive. All that beer, pizza, sweets, noodles, beans, etc :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is true. I had ice cream for dinner tonight because it's all I have left in the freezer and I don't want to go food shopping because it's the last week of term :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending