The Student Room Group

Foundation Degrees and Changing Tuition Fees

Good Afternoon!

This post relates to how foundation degree students are affected by the new 2012 tuition fees regime.

I'm a mature student currently studying in the 2nd year of a foundation degree at an FE College. I started the course in September 2011, under the pre-2012 fees structure. The course is validated by a University and has a recognized progression route to the third year of the Universities BA(Hons) course in the same subject.

The university and the college have a contract that basically says that provided we pass the foundation degree they cannot deny us A place in the third year of their degree. I imagine this is the same as a student needing to pass the 2nd year of the full BA to progress to the third.

When the course began, we were told that the when we joined the university in the third year, the fees would remain on the old, pre-2012 structure (ie. £3300), however we were told last week that they are planning to charge us £8500.

This would mean that we would have paid £2000 more than a student who started the full BA in 2011 or the time of the course and that we would be sat next to people receiving the same content who paid £5000 less for that year.

I would like to establish what the facts/law is around this matter.

For me the fact that we cannot be denied entry would suggest that it is an integrated course, however somewhat cynically, we must re-apply through UCAS for third year entry (not for a top-up course).

Any help, suggestions or previous experiences would be valuable to me here in order to establish if there is a precedent or not, and to help move forward with challenging the university.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply 1
There's something wrong there. I'm also on a 2 year foundation an a HE college under a university. I started Sept 2011 just like you on the old fees structure. I'm not applying for the top up year but if I did, I would not have to apply on UCAS and I have been told this by the course manager, it is a natural progression into the 3rd year and the original £3300 tuition fee will continue on into the 3rd year.

I think they are trying to con you out of that 5 grand by forcing you to, in effect, apply for a new course as a top up under the new system.

I'm not sure who you can contact for advise about this, but you certainly need to be in touch with the university to state your case.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending