The Student Room Group

What to cook for a guy you're dating?

So I have a guy coming round to mine for dinner next week. We met 2 months ago, and we've been kind of dating for the past 3 weeks, but all of our dates have been in public places so far, and I wanted to invite him round. I want to cook him something nice, but that doesn't require too much effort/isn't too fiddly. In terms of cooking facilities, I have:
-hobs
-frying pan/saucepan etc.
-'mini-oven'

He doesn't like cheese, and isn't particularly keen on Mediterranean food, however to be honest he's not that fussy and will probably eat most things. Things that are awkward to eat (i.e. spaghetti/noodles) are also out.

So yeah, ideas anyone? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I saw a contestant on come dine with me do the following:

1) Go to Frankie and Bennies.
2) Order some food.
3) Take it home.
4) Pass it off as your own.

That way he'll think you're an awesome cook and will like you more.

Otherwise, chicken is quite tasty... Chicken breast with mushroom sauce from Asda and jacket potatoes... Yum, guess what I'm cooking tonight.
I'm not too sure - steak is always good.
If you can, try and have him in the kitchen with you when you're cooking - it's more fun for both of you guys, and he can help out.
There are many steak tutorials, but here's one of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o8rVDy-zfNE
Reply 3
Original post by Sockpirate
So I have a guy coming round to mine for dinner next week. We met 2 months ago, and we've been kind of dating for the past 3 weeks, but all of our dates have been in public places so far, and I wanted to invite him round. I want to cook him something nice, but that doesn't require too much effort/isn't too fiddly. In terms of cooking facilities, I have:
-hobs
-frying pan/saucepan etc.
-'mini-oven'

He doesn't like cheese, and isn't particularly keen on Mediterranean food, however to be honest he's not that fussy and will probably eat most things. Things that are awkward to eat (i.e. spaghetti/noodles) are also out.

So yeah, ideas anyone? :smile:

Maybe a curry dish, most are pretty easy to make and you would only need to use the stuff you already got. The ingredients tend to be inexpensive too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Michaelj
I saw a contestant on come dine with me do the following:

1) Go to Frankie and Bennies.
2) Order some food.
3) Take it home.
4) Pass it off as your own.

That way he'll think you're an awesome cook and will like you more.

Ha, that's hilarious, can't believe they got away with that!

Original post by Bude8
I'm not too sure - steak is always good.
If you can, try and have him in the kitchen with you when you're cooking - it's more fun for both of you guys, and he can help out.
There are many steak tutorials, but here's one of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o8rVDy-zfNE

I'm not sure my feeble student budget stretches to buying awesome steaks unfortunately... also I'm not sure the mini-oven is up to it either!
But yeah, he'll definitely be in the kitchen whilst I'm cooking :smile: that's the plan anyway!

Original post by gemmam
Maybe a curry dish, most are pretty easy to make and you would only need to use the stuff you already got. The ingredients tend to be inexpensive too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm, yeah, potential idea, thanks!

Keep them coming :biggrin:
Reply 5
You can cook? Fuark!!!!! True love does exist.

I'm not sure my feeble student budget stretches to buying awesome steaks unfortunately... also I'm not sure the mini-oven is up to it either!
But yeah, he'll definitely be in the kitchen whilst I'm cooking :smile: that's the plan anyway!

It will be so worth it if you pull it off though (it will be a very good memory for both), and you don't really need a cut that's super expensive.
I'd stick to something that you are used to cooking. You want to enjoy the night, not worry about cooking something new and making a mess of it.
Well I'm about to tuck into some lasagne so I suggest you make lasagne haha
And maybe an awesome dessert too :biggrin:
Reply 9
I don't think he'll be that bothered what you cook tbh.
Man, reading this thread makes me want an asian girlfriend. :smile:
You don't need an oven to cook steaks :smile: but if thats too expensive, what about mexican? fajitas or something? (provided you don't get sour cream all down yourself whilst eating it :tongue:)
Reply 12
Original post by Strawberrycayk
Well I'm about to tuck into some lasagne so I suggest you make lasagne haha
And maybe an awesome dessert too :biggrin:

Mmm, I do love lasagne. It's my favourite meal! However unfortunately I don't have the right dishes to make lasagne in at uni :frown:

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Man, reading this thread makes me want an asian girlfriend. :smile:

...I'm not asian? Unless you meant you wanted someone to cook you asian food, in which case fair enough!

Original post by deedee123
You don't need an oven to cook steaks :smile: but if thats too expensive, what about mexican? fajitas or something? (provided you don't get sour cream all down yourself whilst eating it :tongue:)

I was actually thinking about fajitas! Because they're fun and easy to make, so he could definitely get involved in the actual cooking (he doesn't cook much/at all) although then I thought 'hmmm onion breath'. But they are super tasty....
Reply 13
You can get pretty cheap but decent quality steaks if you look in the right places! Thai green curry is a good one to make and if you do the sauce with curry paste and coconut milk rather than buying it you can make it however hot you want. It's light and you could get some nice fragrant sticky rice to go with it, no expensive ingredients required.

Does he have any preferences other than no cheese? If you can make something that you need to share it's more fun. Something like nachos (obviously those aren't really an option).

Sweet and sour chicken might be a good one too.
Reply 14
Steak. Definitely steak.
I was actually thinking about fajitas! Because they're fun and easy to make, so he could definitely get involved in the actual cooking (he doesn't cook much/at all) although then I thought 'hmmm onion breath'. But they are super tasty....

yeah, if you've got something like fajitas that you make at the table it makes it a bit more comfortable i think, as you're not just sitting there staring at your plate :tongue: maybe a sneaky trip to the bathroom for an emergency mint between courses? :biggrin:
Do steak, egg and chips.

He'll ****ing love you for that.
...I'm not asian? Unless you meant you wanted someone to cook you asian food, in which case fair enough!

Nah, because Asian food is awesome :smile:

Also, have you thought of Quesadilla's ?
Reply 18
Mmm fajitas...
Reply 19
will probably eat most things.

:sexface:

Also, can't really go with Pasta with a bit of mince and tomato sauce+Mushrooms. Super easy to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending