The Student Room Group

When did your parents stop giving you birthday presents?

I was just wondering, because I had never really though of it before. I have never been one of those people who get multiple or expensive presents, since mostly I like getting small things, like a few books or something similar. However, I turned 20 this week; I rarely buy anything nice for myself, since I am at uni and have very little money. My parents are short of money at the moment, so I wouldn't expect them to get me something expensive; I never have expected that, and I have never been given an expensive birthday present.
However, today my parents came to visit me, and give me my birthday present, and I gave one to my mum, for her birthday is the same day as mine. I spent hours looking for the right present for her, saved my money, and spent about £40 in total. I don't regret that, she was so pleased, and absolutely loved her present. It is wonderful to see her happy. Yet, then she produced a little bag, seemingly from some jewellery shop, with a bracelet inside. My parents had not taken the label off the bracelet though, and I brought exactly the same for a friend a few weeks ago, alongside a few other things, as a present to say thank you for a favour. It cost me £5. What is more, they had tried to make it look better by putting it in a bag from an expensive jewellery shop.
As I write this I realise I sound like a spoilt brat; but I reiterate, I do not expect exprensive presents, ever. Yet, what is even stranger, is that my parents know full well that I couldn't give a damn about jewellery. I like books and music, and everything else is irrelevant. It is as if they have suddenly started thinking of me as a completely different person.
(It is slightly irritating that, last month, my sixteen-year-old sister was given a Canon 6d Camera, for c. £1,799.)

Scroll to see replies

Since moving to uni there's a definite decrease in birthday and Christmas presents... I don't mind too much. What made me really sad was this year I didn't get a birthday cake :frown:
Reply 2
First year at uni. The birthday presents have never stopped, they've just decreased in monetary value. My next one (in 4 days!) is apparently going to be a food hamper courtesy, according to my Mum - real food at last!
Reply 3
Someone will probably start calling you materialistic but that does seem unjust. I'm 18 and I hope my parents never think it's appropriate to spend £5 for my birthday. The disparity between you and your sister just makes the situation seem worse, they hardly look cash strapped if they can pay £1.8 G's for a camera!

Hopefully they've got you something better but couldn't bring it up so they're surprising you next time you visit home?
Reply 4
They haven't stopped giving me birthday presents.

Now to the main point - a £1799 camera? When they're short of cash? Or is that why they're short of cash?
Reply 5
They haven't yet.
My brother and I have the same birthday (we're not twins) so my mother never really has the money to buy expensive presents. She does always make an effort to buy something though, which I appreciate greatly!
My parents have always bought me at least one birthday present, usually I'll ask them for the thing I really really want and then sometimes they'll get me some other little things as well. I don't know why they do that though, I never want them to spend too much.
Original post by zz_
They haven't stopped giving me birthday presents.

Now to the main point - a £1799 camera? When they're short of cash? Or is that why they're short of cash?

Well, you see, that's what I find quite annoying. I can tell they're struggling, and I always deliberately didn't ask much of them; my sister, on the other hand, is quite persistent. I just don't understand it...
Reply 9
When I lived with my patents we did not celebrate "birthdays" or other festivals with presents.
Reply 10
They haven't yet. But my birthday's in summer so I'm always at home.
Plus they always give me and my brother exactly the same amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
i don't have parties.
i get a birthday cake but the last one i got was when i was 9. That was only because my friends were over.

My fam aren't too big on birthdays. Which is strange considering my younger siblings are getting pc tablets for their birthdays.

ah well. I'll change all that when i have kids!
Birthday presents have gone down as I got older, particularly after finishing school. Tbh we don't need much now. I still get Xbox games from mum and dad so that's fine. When I have my job it'll probably be typical adult pressies, tbh.
Reply 13
They haven't stopped yet. I know they do struggle but they do and make sure me and my sister get the same amount's worth :smile:
Reply 14
Mine haven't stopped just yet, and can't really imagine that they will to be honest. My parents love buying presents :smile:
They don't have much money either, but they're really good at finding deals etc, so even though we're a big family, we still get nice things :smile: My parents also make sure that they spend the same amount on each of us :smile:
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Since moving to uni there's a definite decrease in birthday and Christmas presents... I don't mind too much. What made me really sad was this year I didn't get a birthday cake :frown:

When I was at uni, I lived with someone who is an overseas student. Her birthday is November and she wasn't seeing her family until Christmas. We all gave someone a few pounds to buy a cake and some decorations.

Going back to the OP - I would be annoyed too. Doesn't seem right that your sister has got something that's £1799 and you get something that cost £5. I don't think you sound spoilt. I wouldn't be happy with that either.
Reply 16
I would be fuming, if I got a £5 present, and my brother got a 1.7k present. No OP you're not sounding like a spoilt brat, but your sister sounds spoilt.

Although It wouldn't be too bad, if they got you something you like, even if it was cheap, atleast they could of thought about something you'd like.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
My parents stopped buying me presents at 17, when I moved out, I haven't had a Christmas or birthday present since... :frown: they aren't strapped for cash in any way and I have always bought them presents. I daren't ask why they don't get me anything because I don't wanna sound ungrateful for anything I received before I was 17...I'm 21 now btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I hope never :colone:

Honestly, not numerous presents as when you were a child, but my parents and grandparents still give birthday and christmas presents to each other (that is one present each) and it's the same way with me and my parents. I'm in my first year at uni now and still get numerous presents for birthday and christmas, but in the future that will decrease of cause. But we'll keep the tradition, always call each other no matter where we live and I'll get them presents until they die :smile:

They even sent me big birthday and christmes parcels when I volunteered in Ghana for a year. Damn, I just realise how much I love these people :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
..pfft, im twenty two and im still getting em'.

They may not be as Toy-shaped anymore, but I still get presents.

And I get them present's for there birthdays in return.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending