The Student Room Group

Illustration Interview

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.. I've applied for University to start in 2013, and although one of my choices turned me down with a very bad generic email which didn't even make sense, one University has invited me for an interview a lot sooner than I thought! I've been out of education for 4 years and I'm applying as a mature student. The big downside is I am pretty clueless about organising my portfolio and preparing for the interview as I don't have any college lecturers or friends who have been through the same thing. Is anyone able to help me? :frown:

I have an A3 portfolio ready to go, and I have a selection of varying styles of pieces I have done over the past year. Although I'm not applying for Middlesex, I found this link which has expressed that I need a lot of observational drawings. I'm kinda stuck really, as I work shifts full time and have a flat to upkeep, I spend pretty much all my spare time drawing and keeping projects going for my portfolio and Uni, plus updating my website.. Now it's come down to it I'm terrified I'm going to get turned down like I did a couple of years ago. I am lacking knowledge from an educational background!

I hope this makes sense, haha. Stress and tiredness is fun! Can anyone help me prepare or give me tips on what I really need to include in my portfolio? Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by angelsallfire
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.. I've applied for University to start in 2013, and although one of my choices turned me down with a very bad generic email which didn't even make sense, one University has invited me for an interview a lot sooner than I thought! I've been out of education for 4 years and I'm applying as a mature student. The big downside is I am pretty clueless about organising my portfolio and preparing for the interview as I don't have any college lecturers or friends who have been through the same thing. Is anyone able to help me? :frown:

I have an A3 portfolio ready to go, and I have a selection of varying styles of pieces I have done over the past year. Although I'm not applying for Middlesex, I found [URL="http://www.mdx.ac.uk/Assets/Microsoft PowerPoint - Portfolio presentation [Compatibility Mode].pdf"]this link
which has expressed that I need a lot of observational drawings. I'm kinda stuck really, as I work shifts full time and have a flat to upkeep, I spend pretty much all my spare time drawing and keeping projects going for my portfolio and Uni, plus updating my website.. Now it's come down to it I'm terrified I'm going to get turned down like I did a couple of years ago. I am lacking knowledge from an educational background!

I hope this makes sense, haha. Stress and tiredness is fun! Can anyone help me prepare or give me tips on what I really need to include in my portfolio? Thanks x

hey, for my portfolio i had approximately 15 or so pieces of work at a2 size. prepared it with my foundation teacher, when i have it at hand may be able to help a little more. but from what i remember, i had 4 or so life drawings, i would say something like this is very important as obviously illustration is based alot around the human form so unis like to see it. i also had a wide range of media, with digital work, more traditional, and print. its important to be very selective with work and make sure everything is there for good reason. cos of the foundation i had some early work, which wasnt illustration, but photos of a sculpture or something for a ceramics induction. i was told to include this though as i was quite short on work! so had it all neatly edited, and arranged so that it almost showed a story which is good to see. hope this helps! i will try and dig out my portfolio at some point soon!

Quick Reply

Latest