The Student Room Group

Greatest national anthems

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This version of the internationale: [video="youtube;5DTbashsKic"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic[/video]

and of course the south african national anthem - i'm surprised it wasn't in your top five! it's widely seen as one of the best national anthems, partly because of the words, also the music, and the fact it is multilingual : [video="youtube;mDPsv5p7i7E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDPsv5p7i7E[/video]

it's such a pity the british national anthem is so boring :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

Why do you have 5 negs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Polka Dot
Why do you have 5 negs?

Because God Save the Queen is a poor national anthem. Britain is one of the greatest nations in the history of the world and there's no end of things to be proud of, and yet our anthem is just about some old rich woman who doesn't do anything.
Reply 23
Original post by Hear Me Roar
Because God Save the Queen is a poor national anthem. Britain is one of the greatest nations in the history of the world and there's no end of things to be proud of, and yet our anthem is just about some old rich woman who doesn't do anything.

That might be your opinion but i dont think it deserves neg reps.

No anthem deserves negs. I imagine most people are simply bored of it.

Genuinely amazing unofficial (for now) English anthem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Snagprophet

Genuinely amazing unofficial (for now) English anthem.

Jerusalem is a poor choice, since it is too religious for our secular nation, speaks about a city in Israel which would confuse foreigners and most importantly - the lyrics are all about Jesus coming to England - which sounds like some nonsense Joseph Smith would have come up with.
Jerusalem is a poor choice, since it is too religious for our secular nation, speaks about a city in Israel which would confuse foreigners and most importantly - the lyrics are all about Jesus coming to England - which sounds like some nonsense Joseph Smith would have come up with.

I think it suits well because it references Jerusalem, culturally important to all three Abrahamic religions, and suggests that the mythological and heavenly eden-like place was built in England.

A common interpretation would be that we strive to make England like heaven on earth, make it our 'holy land'. I don't think referencing Abrahamic mythology means it's irrelevant to a secular/non-religious nation. This is poetry. This isn't some nonsense like an English version of Mormonism claiming Jesus is English. It's not meant to be taken literally.

Songs are about emotion.
(edited 11 years ago)

First of all, we have an established religion in this country, like it or not. Many national anthems (including our own) are religion based, because most of the hymns that form the basis of anthems are religious. For us, we'd almost have to write an entirely new anthem, as nearly all the candidates have at least some reference to God or Christianity in them. Secondly, the lyrics are more about creating a country that we can be proud of than anything else. The original poem was based on a part of the Book of Revelations, but the meaning of the hymn isn't really about that; Jerusalem can be taken as a reference to Heaven, so it is about establishing a place of good on earth. Anyway, what does it matter if it confuses foreigners? The anthem isn't for them, it's for us.

In any case, it's worth noting that we don't actually have an official national anthem in this country; God Save the King/Queen is just the one that is most commonly used. For example, the England cricket team use Jerusalem, so it's by no means a set thing. The only exception is when the sovereign is present, in which case it acts as a salute.
Reply 28
[video="youtube;5q8xvkjqeHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=5q8xvkjqeHQ&gl=US[/video]
try the montenegro national anthem - its darthvaders entrance music !
Reply 30
Original post by FrogInABog
First of all, we have an established religion in this country, like it or not.

An established religion which only a tiny percentage of the population attend church services for.

There should be a new anthem made which doesn't mention religion or the monarchy.

How about a song which is about how great Britain once was and inspires us to live up to our glorious past and make Britain great once more?
Not officially a national anthem but Flower of Scotland!
Reply 32

I kinda like Rule Britannia for a national anthem type thing.

Aside from that God save the Queen is fairly bland hence I don't particularly like it.

That being said Soviet Unions anthem is definitely my favorite.
Reply 33
Original post by Carecup

I kinda like Rule Britannia for a national anthem type thing.

Too imperialistic for modern Britain.
Reply 35
Soviet ones damn good! Always had a liking for New Zealand, South Africa's and Canadas though. And of course Britains, if only for patriotic reasons... far prefer Jerusalem and the other candidates.
Jerusalem is a poor choice, since it is too religious for our secular nation.

True. I often find that Caravaggio paintings are **** for the same reason.

Spoiler

I really love the (alternative, not official) Irish anthem which they play at rugby games:

Reply 38
Think these are all good.

Both Soldier's song and Ireland's Call: ROI and Irish rugby.

Star-Spangled Banner: USA

Advance Australia Fair

Marseillaise

Internationale: France

On the Brit one would say Jerusalem is too closely associated with England, but Land of Hope and Glory might be an option.
Reply 39
chinese national anthem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending