The Student Room Group

Czech Republic Arab League OM admission - DEBATE AND VOTE

Application of the Czech Republic

The Czech Republic would like to apply to become an observer nation of the Arab League. We have followed recent events in the Middle East closely, being reminded of our own revolution against dictatorship and our transition to democracy; the Arab Spring is, after all, named after our own Czech Spring. We believe that we can work closely with countries in the Middle East and help them move towards greater economic development as well as increasing activity in the League. We also think that given the MHoC's recent withdrawal from the Arab League, it would be useful to have another EU country to replace it; links between the EU and the Arab League are strong and should be further encouraged, given our geographical proximity.

You have 3 days to vote and ask the Czech representative any questions you may have

Stanlas1
QFA
Reply 1
OOC: Can I vote in this?
Original post by stanlas2
OOC: Can I vote in this?

[ooc] I'm pretty sure it's Arab League members only. [/ooc]

Moleman1996
QFA
Reply 3
Original post by thunder_chunky
[ooc] I'm pretty sure it's Arab League members only. [/ooc]

Thinking about it thats probably true
Reply 4
Stanlas2
QFA

Yeah, AL members only :tongue:
OOC: i'm not in the AL, but i'd say members should vote yes to this as it seems pretty dead with inactivity :tongue:
The Sultanate of Oman encourages the acceptance of the Czech Republic as an observer within the Arab League and we would welcome more activity within the League.
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan welcomes this move by the Czech Republic. We hope to work with you.
Reply 8
Would the Arab League consider giving the EU observer status?
Reply 9
Original post by Moleman1996

You have 3 days to vote and ask the Czech representative any questions you may have

OOC: why didn't you make it an open poll by the way? Are there even 6 active countries in the Arab League at the moment?
(we had the same problem with non-EU countries voting in EU stuff some time ago)
Reply 10
Morgsie
giving the EU observer status

We would be open to it and would certainly allow it to go to vote. How about a deal whereby the EU becomes an observer of the AL, and the AL becomes an observer member of the EU? (This would need to be ratified by AL members, but I can't see any problems arising)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending