The Student Room Group

If i weigh 60kg how much protein should i get in grams a day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wag12k12dunkno
i checked and it varies from 1 gram-1.5gram proteins per pound of body weight but thats an insane amount of protein

Not really.

I'm a vegetarian and I manage it just fine.

Four scrambled eggs with kidney beans, tomatoes and other vegetable **** with two slices of granary bread, a banana and a pint of milk.

That's what I had for breakfast and that's, without thinking too hard, 45 or so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bad8oy
No really too much protein can lead to Damage of your kidneys known fact you need to do some research mate :smile:

If it makes up more then 30% of calorie intake then there is toxic build up of ketones and puts strain on your kidneys. So taking 200grams of protein a day you are not going to eat enough carbs.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Almost everyone I know at various gyms use 40:40:20 ratio
(protein/carb/fat), and with success at that. Some have been using for years and no kidney damage. Yeah.

Reply 42
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
Almost everyone I know at various gyms use 40:40:20 ratio
(protein/carb/fat), and with success at that. Some have been using for years and no kidney damage. Yeah.

That's like saying lots of people smoke but not all of them get heart disease or emphysema. Your completely wrong you most likely notice effect later on in life. It is definitely a risk factor and creatine does not effect kidneys if you don't take more then 20grams a day and you hardly need 5 grams a day.

Original post by bad8oy
No really too much protein can lead to Damage of your kidneys known fact you need to do some research mate :smile:

The only link between protein and kidney failure that I am aware of is in people with pre-existing kidney conditions/full blown kidney failure. These people are prescribed lower protein diets but what is suitable for that population is not necessarily what is suitable for people who do not have that condition.
Reply 44
Original post by The Blind Monk
The only link between protein and kidney failure that I am aware of is in people with pre-existing kidney conditions/full blown kidney failure. These people are prescribed lower protein diets but what is suitable for that population is not necessarily what is suitable for people who do not have that condition.

Right I'm only gonna repeat this one more time lol. High protein diet causes build up of toxic ketones. Your kidneys try to flush them out and it puts a lot of pressure on your kidneys. You don't really need more then 120grams a day to be honest as it gets to a point where the excess protein won't be used for anything.

Original post by bad8oy
Right I'm only gonna repeat this one more time lol. High protein diet causes build up of toxic ketones. Your kidneys try to flush them out and it puts a lot of pressure on your kidneys. You don't really need more then 120grams a day to be honest as it gets to a point where the excess protein won't be used for anything.

If you are going to respond to people with that kind of attitude mate then you should be prepared to provide links to something approaching evidence for the particular claims you are making (you make several in this post). Your opinion is valid if you are clear that it is opinion, but if you are going to make out that the things you are saying are objectively/scientifically true (this is what it seems like) you have to be able to back that up. People are not wrong because they don't agree with you and you are not going to help anyone (which, if I give you the benefit of the doubt is what I think you are trying to do) by making claims absent any reasoned explanation. I'm not saying you are wrong as I am not particularly qualified to do so, I just don't think you are doing anyone any good. :dontknow:

I'd be interested to read your sources if you don't mind providing them as I eat a high protein diet and don't particularly want kidney failure, lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
OP:

Getting that sort of protein in each day is easy don't worry. I've had 155 or so grams today @ 1500 calories or so.
Martin, W; Armstrong, Rodriquez (December 2005). "Dietary protein intake and renal function". Nutrition and Metabolism 2 (25)
Study referenced above
In summary, studies documenting high protein intake as a cause of renal disease in any animal model have not been done. Rather, studies have typically focused on the interaction between protein intake and renal function in the diseased state. As a result, findings from these investigations should not be used as a basis for dietary recommendations for humans. Studies designed to characterize the effects of dietary protein intake on renal function in healthy subjects are warranted.

Same study
Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney.

From: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
bad8oy

Response please?
1-1.25 g/lb of lbm for bulking.

1-1.5g g/lb of lbm for cutting.
Reply 49
Original post by paddy__power
If you are going to respond to people with that kind of attitude mate then you should be prepared to provide links to something approaching evidence for the particular claims you are making (you make several in this post). Your opinion is valid if you are clear that it is opinion, but if you are going to make out that the things you are saying are objectively/scientifically true (this is what it seems like) you have to be able to back that up. People are not wrong because they don't agree with you and you are not going to help anyone (which, if I give you the benefit of the doubt is what I think you are trying to do) by making claims absent any reasoned explanation. I'm not saying you are wrong as I am not particularly qualified to do so, I just don't think you are doing anyone any good. :dontknow:

I'd be interested to read your sources if you don't mind providing them as I eat a high protein diet and don't particularly want kidney failure, lol.

Yeah sure ill provide them to you tonight when I've got some free time...I'm not saying dont eat protein because you need more then normal protein to build but it gets to a point where you are damaging you kidneys. I will provide you with some sources.

Original post by bad8oy

If it makes up more then 30% of calorie intake then there is toxic build up of ketones and puts strain on your kidneys. So taking 200grams of protein a day you are not going to eat enough carbs.

Too much protein isn't not the same, which is what you initially said, is not the same as having a protein intake that is too high as a proportion of your diet.

Also, taking in 200grams of protein is only 800 calories. It is complete BS to suggest that someone cannot take in enough carbohydrates because there are people that consume in excess of 4000 calories.

I know which article, you read. It is incorrect. Ketones are not to do with protein intake. They are to do with having a low carbohydrate intake. That is why Diabetics produce ketones.
im gona eat duck thats protein

Actually, sorry to correct you monk, but people with kidney disease aren't prescribe low-protein diets; it is recommended they continue to eat a normal protein diet, of around 80g a day, and are prescribed ACE inhibitors (captopril, lisinopril) to reduce glomerular filtration rate.

Original post by bad8oy

If it's so well known that high protein or protein excess damages kidneys, then would you kindly mind posting some of the academic medical literature that shows this?

Also, "toxic buildup of ketones"? Really? Firstly, ketosis can only occur when you have a low carbohydrate diet (<80g/day) and there are low blood insulin levels. Secondly, most people's kidneys can handle ketones perfectly well, and the buildup can only become toxic or harmful in those with type 1 diabetes.

ketones are produced by beta-oxidation of fatty acids, not proteins.

edit: in 4 "sources" bad8boy is going to "provide"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson
Actually, sorry to correct you monk, but people with kidney disease aren't prescribe low-protein diets; it is recommended they continue to eat a normal protein diet, of around 80g a day, and are prescribed ACE inhibitors (captopril, lisinopril) to reduce glomerular filtration rate.

Interesting. Happy to be corrected, I must have remembered something wrong or just misunderstood whatever I was reading.
Reply 54
Original post by bad8oy
No?? On creatine he'll see massive gains from when he first starts it may slow down later but within 2 months his gains will be massive

You are an idiot its not steroid.. he'll get some water weight its temporary.. do some research about creatine
Reply 55
Original post by HFerguson

Interesting. Happy to be corrected, I must have remembered something wrong or just misunderstood whatever I was reading.

It also depends on the type of kidney disease and the stage they are at. I know someone with stage 4 chronic kidney disease and they were referred to a dietitian as part of their overall treatment. It isn't just protein that they have to control; certain minerals and vitamins can be problematic too and have to be controlled.

In any case, it is kind of a pointless argument anyway. If your kidneys are ****ed then of course you will have problems.
All of it.
Original post by bad8oy
That's like saying lots of people smoke but not all of them get heart disease or emphysema. Your completely wrong you most likely notice effect later on in life. It is definitely a risk factor and creatine does not effect kidneys if you don't take more then 20grams a day and you hardly need 5 grams a day.

Simply No. You're wrong.

The same philosophy is applied to high-protein diets (Your statement about Creatine).

40:40:20 is absolutely safe. The risk factor is similar to Creatine being taken 5g a day long-term, if you want to compare it that way.

Both High-protein diets and Creatine are not recommended for people with kidney issues anyway. Your debunking towards High-protein consumption is actually quite a huge statement towards 70% of the bodybuilders and casuals out there.

I'd like to see your evidence on this but I guess you'd have to get back to the rest of the posters in this thread first.
That is bull **** your organism dont need so much protein it cant absorb so much, but 1kg = 1g is good ratio
What a bunch of wussies.
Do you actually think real alpha males care about how much protein they take?
No, they take the whole damn thing.
Just put the whole thing in a damn in a blender and drink it.
Damn manlets.

Who /fit/ here?

Quick Reply

Latest