The Student Room Group

Princess syndrome

Disclaimers:

this is a generalisation from what I have seen

the average guy is not great either

So why is it that the modern girl/woman feels that she is entitled to the perfect boyfriend? :holmes:

To clarify, you see girls demanding that they have a boyfriend who is either a contradiction (the man who is confident, ambitious, career focused, but reserved, sensitive, and a family man :lolwut: ), or perfect eg. rich, good looking, perfect body, and a nice guy.....yet the girl just sits around pissing hours away on facebook/the internet, has no hobbies/ is utterly boring, and can't spell exercise let alone do any?

So why does the modern girl feel that they are entitled to the perfect man and the perfect life yet they do nothing to deserve or earn this?
What is more alarming, is that when you remind these people that they are human and that you have to try at life, they argue that men should either lower their standards/not try/be open minded/insert femlogic here and that they should be given everything they want because they are simply entitled to it.

Why is this? :curious:

Personally, I blame feminism and the media.
If someone turns around and tells a girl to sort out their issues and to try at life, they are either a bitch or a chauvinist (depending on gender of course). This in turn allows girls to demand anything and it is deemed inappropriate to tell them to get a grip on reality - or as I call it, Princess syndrome.

Scroll to see replies

It's more of a personality thing. Some people have a sense of entitlement, the media then shapes what it is that they feel entitled to have. I'm not exactly sure how feminism ties into this.
Reply 2
I think the 'entitled to a perfect man' is often talked about but not often actually believed.
It's like the stupid saying 'if they really love you they'll do ...' but then if you really love them, you'll accept that they don't want to do ...!!!
Love is a two way thing, which is often forgotten.
Reply 3
Original post by Jimbo1234
Disclaimers:

So why is it that the modern girl/woman feels that she is entitled to the perfect boyfriend? :holmes:

To clarify, you see girls demanding that they have a boyfriend who is either a contradiction (the man who is confident, ambitious, career focused, but reserved, sensitive, and a family man :lolwut: ), or perfect eg. rich, good looking, perfect body, and a nice guy.....yet the girl just sits around pissing hours away on facebook/the internet, has no hobbies/ is utterly boring, and can't spell exercise let alone do any?

So why does the modern girl feel that they are entitled to the perfect man and the perfect life yet they do nothing to deserve or earn this?
What is more alarming, is that when you remind these people that they are human and that you have to try at life, they argue that men should either lower their standards/not try/be open minded/insert femlogic here and that they should be given everything they want because they are simply entitled to it.

If someone turns around and tells a girl to sort out their issues and to try at life, they are either a bitch or a chauvinist (depending on gender of course). This in turn allows girls to demand anything and it is deemed inappropriate to tell them to get a grip on reality - or as I call it, Princess syndrome.

I totally get you OP. I see so many dead average boring ass no life girls on fb bleating on about how they want the perfect prince charming. And to cap it all off if you were to point out that they are not that great themselves you get an army of "dnt listen to him bbz ur beautiful as u are". I think you have highlighted a major issue amongst females; that they are more averse to self-improvement than males.
I think people in general want the best for themselves so will be optimistic when talking about their preferred future partner. Girls and guys alike rarely aim for the antisocial, unattractive, lazy, ******** (bum hole) even if they themselves resemble all those characteristics.

Like for example before a test if you ask people what grade they want they'll say an A because that is what they WANT but if they only did enough revision to get a C then that's what they DESERVE.

What people want and what they deserve can be worlds apart.

You could say that some guys feel entitled to their choice of girls because they are a 'nice guy' but they may disregard the fact that they lack a sense of humour, are vulgar and have no social skills etc. so being nice in the big scheme of things isn't enough.

I don't think it's a girl only or guy only issue but a human issue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Disclaimers:

(the man who is confident, ambitious, career focused, but reserved, sensitive, and a family man :lolwut: ), or perfect eg. rich, good looking, perfect body, and a nice guy....

I have the perfect bf :biggrin:
He is all of the qualities you listed above, (well except rich but tbh money doesnt matter to me anyway)

Yes i feel i deserve him.

I put lots of effort into the relationship and my looks etc, i would never cheat, I love him to bits and constantly show him that.
We live together and i cook, clean and look after him generally which he appreciates as he works more than me, and doesnt like doing these things.
I buy him little presents to show him i care.

How do you know these girls dont do anything to deserve their bf's? You might not be able to see what is going on in the relationship as you are not part of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nice Marmite
It's more of a personality thing. Some people have a sense of entitlement, the media then shapes what it is that they feel entitled to have. I'm not exactly sure how feminism ties into this.

Because it gave birth to the concept that women had a "right" to get anything they want because they are a woman.
The truth is that no one has a "right", but that everything has to be earned. If you want a good job, do a good degree. Want a good man? Work on yourself and earn him by being interesting, confident, in good shape etc.
I never understood why girls think they should just get given things, god forbid they should have to work for it. Its like all these threads by girls complaining that their boyfriend doesn't buy them presents and they are shocked when we all reply well what have you done to deserve a present?
Reply 8
Disclaimers:

Couldnt agree more.

This forum (and many others I'm sure) are just full of moaning females.

It is feminism, the girl thinks she is entitled to everything, like the 'perfect man' etc
Reply 9
Most females are gassed anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by kunoichi
He is all of the qualities you listed above, (well except rich but tbh money doesnt matter to me anyway)

I put lots of effort into the relationship and my looks etc, i would never cheat, I love him to bits and constantly show him that.
We live together and i cook, clean and look after him generally which he appreciates as he works more than me, and doesnt like doing these things.

How do you know these girls dont do anything to deserve their bf's? You might not be able to see what is going on in the relationship as you are not part of it.

He's career focussed and ambitous but not rich? Assuming he's a student/junior at work that means he will be, and will fulfil the lot (though may involve stretching family focussed). Given this money must be somewhat of a factor, if nothing else just to afford the kids implied in being family focussed. Why would him being career focussed and ambitious matter to you if money didn't matter (not necessarily loads of it, but enough you can be comfortably middle class, which is what most people generally hope for)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I think people in general want the best for themselves so will be optimistic when talking about their preferred future partner. Girls and guys alike rarely aim for the antisocial, unattractive, lazy, ******** (bum hole) even if they themselves resemble all those characteristics.

Like for example before a test if you ask people what grade they want they'll say an A because that is what they WANT but if they only did enough revision to get a C then that's what they DESERVE.

What people want and what they deserve can be worlds apart.

Oh, you would be surprised :rofl:
People will rant on about how they want Mr/Miss Perfect, yet get someone just like them and proceeds to only moan about how they are now perfect.
However with grades, the only person to blame for failing an exam is yourself which is where it differs.

Original post by kunoichi

Ah, but why do you try? What motivates you to try as many do not?

I know that these girls do nothing - they can not converse, have no hobbies or interests, do not look after themselves, can not cook/clean or do any house work, and can not look after themselves let alone someone else.

Original post by S.R
I totally get you OP. I see so many dead average boring ass no life girls on fb bleating on about how they want the perfect prince charming. And to cap it all off if you were to point out that they are not that great themselves you get an army of "dnt listen to him bbz ur beautiful as u are". I think you have highlighted a major issue amongst females; that they are more averse to self-improvement than males.

So ****ing true. Guys are happy to admit that their friends are fat, ugly etc, but still great guys, but girls claim that all their friends are beyond perfect :rofl:
I'm gonna go anon for this because it sounds like bragging and being big headed but it's not really, and I've got friends on here...

A lot of my friends ask me why they can't get a guy like mine, that my life is so perfect, that I really landed on my feet in life, and while I have had a fairly good start in life, my parents had no more money than any of theirs, you've just got to put the effort in yourself.

I've got a bf who basically worships the ground I walk on, yes in that respect I'm incredibly lucky, but I doubt he'd stick around if I changed into a lazy, boring out-of-shape girl who has no interests, as that wouldn't be who he fell in love with. I exercise 4/5 times a week, and we're both really keen cyclists. I can cook, pretty well, as its one of my dads passions in life, and I grew up learning loads of cooking stuff. While my sport is one of my main hobbies, I also have a couple of my own, and a couple that I share with my bf. I'm at a top 10, doing a science subject, on course for a first.

You get out of life what you put into it tbh. I try and live life to the max (and not in the oh so fashionable 'yolo' style that seems to be cool at the moment) and enjoy myself, and I ended up with a good bf (earns a good wage, good career options, fairly driven, we share the same sports and a couple of hobbies, both enjoy similar things and don't really like being lazy ****s).

If you don't like an aspect of yourself, then go out and change it! No one's stopping you but yourself!
Reply 13
Original post by roh
He's career focussed and ambitous but not rich? Assuming he's a student/junior at work that means he will be, and will fulfil the lot (though may involve stretching family focussed). Given this money must be somewhat of a factor, if nothing else just to afford the kids implied in being family focussed. Why would him being career focussed and ambitious matter to you if money didn't matter (not necessarily loads of it, but enough you can be comfortably middle class, which is what most people generally hope for)?

Because i dont pick my boyfriends on whether they have a lot of money or not, so money doesnt matter. I can earn my own.

Being able to put hard work into a career or/and family shows a guy knows how to make an effort for something, which means he's more likely to put effort into the relationship. A person doesnt need to have or earn a lot of money to be able to try and make an effort at their job.

Also he is career focused but not rich as he starting at the bottom and working his way up. He has recently had a promotion and is currently being trained for the managerial levels which he has been told he is expected to reach within 2 years. As by that time he will only be 23, he expects to go even higher up in the company, hence ambitious and career focused.

Also when we do eventually think about children i am confident he will be able to handle both roles very well. he is very caring about me and his family and never neglects us as well as working very hard. He is also the most broody man i have ever met and cant wait until the time is right for us to start trying. (obviously being 20 and 21, now isnt the time)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm gonna go anon for this because it sounds like bragging and being big headed but it's not really, and I've got friends on here...

A lot of my friends ask me why they can't get a guy like mine, that my life is so perfect, that I really landed on my feet in life, and while I have had a fairly good start in life, my parents had no more money than any of theirs, you've just got to put the effort in yourself.

I've got a bf who basically worships the ground I walk on, yes in that respect I'm incredibly lucky, but I doubt he'd stick around if I changed into a lazy, boring out-of-shape girl who has no interests, as that wouldn't be who he fell in love with. I exercise 4/5 times a week, and we're both really keen cyclists. I can cook, pretty well, as its one of my dads passions in life, and I grew up learning loads of cooking stuff. While my sport is one of my main hobbies, I also have a couple of my own, and a couple that I share with my bf. I'm at a top 10, doing a science subject, on course for a first.

You get out of life what you put into it tbh. I try and live life to the max (and not in the oh so fashionable 'yolo' style that seems to be cool at the moment) and enjoy myself, and I ended up with a good bf (earns a good wage, good career options, fairly driven, we share the same sports and a couple of hobbies, both enjoy similar things and don't really like being lazy ****s).

If you don't like an aspect of yourself, then go out and change it! No one's stopping you but yourself!

The fact your boyfriends best attribute is that he earns good money is worrying .....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh, you would be surprised :rofl:
People will rant on about how they want Mr/Miss Perfect, yet get someone just like them and proceeds to only moan about how they are now perfect.
However with grades, the only person to blame for failing an exam is yourself which is where it differs.

I know that these girls do nothing - they can not converse, have no hobbies or interests, do not look after themselves, can not cook/clean or do any house work, and can not look after themselves let alone someone else.

So ****ing true. Guys are happy to admit that their friends are fat, ugly etc, but still great guys, but girls claim that all their friends are beyond perfect :rofl:

That's unfair, the dynamics of male friendships and female ones are completely different; whereas it's quite normal to insult friends as a guy, this is totally unacceptable and 'bitchy' behaviour for girls.

I don't think girls are any more unrealistic than guys and as for girls 'not refusing to change', does this apply to the numerous guys on the these threads who feel equally entitled because they are 'nice' - an undefined, abstract notion they have awarded themselves with. They refuse to 'chase' (read make an effort) and are usually neither interesting, nor confident or athletically built. Why is one ok and acceptable but when females display preferences they get a 'how dare they' style response? Why can guys demand in-shape, interesting and confident women but a woman wanting the same in a man is a 'princess' and 'unrealistic'. Tbh I don't know any women who actually expect the kind of guy you described.
I'm a woman, and quite frankly all the assumptions about women you've made do not apply to me. There are over 3 billion women on the planet, and I would (quite rightly) assume that they differ hugely in their behaviour and beliefs. Please do not tar us all with the same brush, because it's quite unpleasant and unfair.
Reply 17

:

hmm true, i guess im motivated because of who i am. I cant be a boring person who cant and doesnt do anything. i have to be doing something, i have to be able to look after myself and try to look nice. Im not saying im perfect at all but i couldnt be like those girls you describe.
Reply 18
I hear ya OP. It's a good thing water seeks it's own level in relationships.
Original post by Bipolarb3ar
The fact your boyfriends best attribute is that he earns good money is worrying .....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

:rolleyes: it was what was mentioned in the OP if you read it.

When I met him I didn't have a clue what he earnt. Still couldn't care less whether he earned 10k a year or 100k, but there's a hell of a lot of girls out there that would.

I fell for my bf because he and I shared a love of something that instantly made us friends, and I realised I fancied him within about a 10 minute conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending