The Student Room Group

Princess syndrome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Ah, but when you fail an exam, you only have yourself to blame. When you fail to get the guy, they blame the guy, not themselves :redface:

In what sense is this really true though? It is very common for people who fail exams to blame a variety of other factors: the poor quality teachers, a particularly hard paper, the weighting in favour of one group over another, illness; all of which can have varying degrees of truth behind them.

To analyse the second assertion of your response, I would also like to call into question its general truth. I find that it is far more common for girls to blame themselves, even when it is not at all their fault, for things that go wrong, especially in the dating scene.
Reply 81
Histrionic Personality Disorder is the official name for princess syndrome.
Yeah there are a few princesses but that is a consequence of women having more freedom in these modern times. The princes have been around for ages before this :wink:

I also usually see, in my opinion, some darn ugly guys with crap personalities with beautiful girls but I've never seen that vice versa.

Anyway nothing can be done about princess syndrome whether it exists or not, it's just a consequence of today's society.
But why is that bad? Women have never been more depressed than they are today, thus maybe housework is better for them? :K:

And here is where I just stop taking you seriously altogether.

So women were not depressed int he 50's eh? Or maybe it just went unreported due to the attitudes of that time period? After all, this is back when marital rape was "legal", does it therefore mean no marital rape took place? Of course it did, it just wasn't recognized as such.

I reckon the princess culture seems to have risen because of a rise of media itnerest in the whole "footballer's wives" thing, as well as all the talentless pop stars out there, who are seen to be having it all despite a lack of effort, which breeds a sense of entitlement. I wouldn't say it was the influence of feminism, which if anything, encourages women to go out and achieve something for themselves by working hard.
Reply 84
:eek:
Woah, too much common sense and maturity in one post!
Though why do you realise all this? What made you have such a firm grasp on reality rather than absurd fantasy like most girls?

Haha. I was in a relationship and I was forced to end it cos he wasn't ready to settle down and wanted to see other people. I went through the motions of what you call 'princess syndrome.' Partly I think it was a defence mechanism. But I thought the only way I was going to get over it was to stop thinking in a way that most girls think. I wanted to see it from his perspective. I asked him but he was too scared to tell me everything for fear of hurting me :rolleyes: so I assessed myself. I started to think of things in a different way. I also read in an agony aunt column that in none of the scriptures or in any text does it say 'we deserve happiness.' I always thought we did. We all strive for it and I thought that we actually all deserved it. But it's not like food or shelter or unconditional love from parents. It comes about in a different way.

I think once you think of love a different way, your outlook in life changes and what you feel you have to have becomes another life goal and not something to expect :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Nice Marmite
In what sense is this really true though? It is very common for people who fail exams to blame a variety of other factors: the poor quality teachers, a particularly hard paper, the weighting in favour of one group over another, illness; all of which can have varying degrees of truth behind them.

To analyse the second assertion of your response, I would also like to call into question its general truth. I find that it is far more common for girls to blame themselves, even when it is not at all their fault, for things that go wrong, especially in the dating scene.

Yes women initially blame themselves for a break up as in any situation that doesn't go in a certain way but if we go around with the notion that we deserve and should expect the best, that is not right and is the reason why many people are unhappy. I know it works both ways and not just a woman thing. But we don't deserve conditional love. It's not like with your mum and dad. It's not a human right. We can only get the best out of a relationship if we put as much into it. It's a mutual thing. We can't just expect it to fall into our hands.
Reply 86
Because it gave birth to the concept that women had a "right" to get anything they want because they are a woman.
The truth is that no one has a "right", but that everything has to be earned. If you want a good job, do a good degree. Want a good man? Work on yourself and earn him by being interesting, confident, in good shape etc.

You are displaying a basic incomprehension of what feminism is.
Feminism is not a sense of entitlement on the basis of gender. Feminism is the 'right' to have the same rights and chances as men, regardless of gender, no more and no less.

So why is it that the modern girl/woman feels that she is entitled to the perfect boyfriend? :holmes:

To clarify, you see girls demanding that they have a boyfriend who is either a contradiction (the man who is confident, ambitious, career focused, but reserved, sensitive, and a family man :lolwut: ), or perfect eg. rich, good looking, perfect body, and a nice guy.....yet the girl just sits around pissing hours away on facebook/the internet, has no hobbies/ is utterly boring, and can't spell exercise let alone do any?

So why does the modern girl feel that they are entitled to the perfect man and the perfect life yet they do nothing to deserve or earn this?
Why is this? :curious:

LOL Jimbo you have stirred the hornets nest with this post.

IMO it's nothing to do with 'feminism'. More likely its to do with the position of comparative power in the market that young women have compared to young men.

Say the 'average' guy is what you would rate a 6/10 for looks. I bet he doesn't get much attention from girls. He probably gets the occasional bit of interest from a girl of comparable looks, but most of his experiences with the opposite sex involve him becoming 'friends' with a girl above him in the attractiveness stakes, developing a hopeless crush on her, and her never showing any interest above platonic friendship.

Now take the 'average' girl of 6/10 looks. She has got a lot more experience, sexual and in terms of getting attention, than that guy. She gets attention from guys that are 6/10, 7/10 all the time. On her list of romantic/dating history she has probably been with guys that are 8 or even 9/10. The problem she has with the more attractive guys is that they don't really hang around long because they know that they can aim a bit higher, but they don't mind a bit of one off/occasional repeated sexual contact. In girl speak, when she sits with her friends gossiping about this, it makes her an interesting and complicated woman because she will have the story about a guy that was "hot but untameable" and moan about why does she always fall for bad guys etc, whereas the actual truth from the guy's perspective is she was ok for a shag but he wasn't going to settle for her in terms of getting with a girl exclusively.

However you can see why the average girl has a different perspective and ambition in terms of 'the perfect boyfriend' - because she has not only admired this type of hot guy from afar, she's had interest and sexual experience with them, so she feels he's attainable. The average guy to be fair is realistic about his ambitions and never really expects to get the perfect girlfriend. Even so, he might suffer from entitlement syndrome himself coming on TSR about how he's such a nice dude and women don't know what's best for them by looking past him for guys higher up the food chain lol.
..and some people here will be like that. Why does that make it silly? :curious:

Because you paint an image of these witch like women hunched over their computer screens avoiding sunlight and exercise. Going to put my hand up here and say that I definitely avoid exercise. I'm crap at it, quite astoundingly so ( but i fell off a treadmill once and it was kind of gymnastic...)... I wouldn't say that a girl who has no interest in such things should be insulted quite so readily, wouldn't you? The reality is that all of us are to some extent this picture that you give only to women. Here's another stereotype; guys spend 5-8 hours a week on their play stations on average. But It would be unfair to start a whinge about it on a gaming site.

Ok, but people do need to earn things such as respect and love. No one is entitled to it from birth are they?
Why don't you try with your appearance? Out of the many benefits, being attractive is one of them. You have to remember that finding someone is like being a car in a car lot of 3.5 billion cars. Why will they choose you over every other car?

I think that everyone should be treated with respect, actually, as a default, yes. Dont you? I think that everyone (oh god, here it gets mushy) has a propensity and right to love/be loved without being analysed for their appearance or facing a checklist of their good and bad points before passing a mark of 'acceptability' for someone to love them. It seems such a cold (and frankly unrealistic) attitude.

Why would you say I don't take 'try' with my appearance, out of curiosity? (Do you mean try to make myself attractive generally, or do you mean try to lure guys with my appearance?)

Because finding a significant other is not like standing in a parking lot waiting for people to check you over and see if they fancy a drive. Unless your car can sustain conversations and express opinions, thoughts, emotions, humour, wit and the rest, I think it's a poor example of a two way process. Im not a piece of meat. Are you? Do you actually consider yourself some car in a line? Thats depressing, sweetie.

Well then you know very rough guys.

And you know some unusual women. I wonder how many such women you actually know to do this. And how many men do the same, with, again, their x box for example?

Erm, what is lost from doing so? Nothing, things are only gained. Again, I would say the issue is you know very rough, stupid, and shallow guys.

Yeah? Ask nearly any girl what has happened when she politely declined a mans invitation to go out or have a drink or dance with him. Ask how many of them demanded a reason why (as if the girl owed them something) or became aggressive and embarrassed and began lashing out. I'm sorry, I don't think it's men's fault, but our society breeds this sort of belief.

Well yes it does, but many women want the perks of feminism and chauvinism eg. get the job yet the man pays for the meal

Well, I really hate that sort of behaviour, but surely that's an individual thing that goes against the idea of the 'modern women'.

Ps. Give me equal pay and I might pay for the drinks, yah? ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Jimbo1234
Got any proof that women don't like being housewives? I have the opposite...but I doubt you have actually researched this and are a prime example of Princess syndrome.

All that article says is

1. Women aren't as ambitious/competitive as men.
2. Women value happiness more (and believe it comes from something, e.g. leisure time, family time, hobby time, other than) money/status/power.

In no shape or form does this article mean women want to be "housewives".
I don't think it's because of modernity. I think this has always been around and I think that it's natural for women to be attracted to men who have as many successful qualities as possible. In the same fashion, men are not very concerned with women's qualities or success in life as long as they have a vagina and are fairly easy to look at without having your eyes melt off.

^ here, I posted the two generalisations and while I'll say this is currently changing, I can explain why it's been happening so far.

Since the whole attraction to the opposite sex has to do with sexuality and reproduction, the first thing you have to look at is the energy expenditure each sex puts into reproduction. Men don't expend much energy on reproduction. They constantly produce sperm, which are easy to make and don't take up much resources. That's the reason they're also able to expend energy on other biological features like building up muscle and strength.

Women on the other hand expend an enormous amount of energy simply for reproduction. They have 10% more body fat than men which is there simply to accomodate the needs of the potential baby. When they are pregnant, they lose huge amounts of biological resources and (used to) face death. Childbirth is also expensive in terms of energy and after the baby is out then lactation still takes up a lot of vital nutrients from the woman.

Of course this is not very valid nowadays when food is plenty and you can expend as much energy as you want on anything you want without much cost (although it still affects your health!).

Basically, women have always had to be more selective and choose THE BEST man to look after her kids because if she just got pregnant and did everything on her own she would reduce her chances of survival. That's not to mention that if a woman has a child with a man who has bad genes, then biologically that would be a whole year of waste of resources on a useless child whereas a man could just go and have hundreds of children in one year if he wanted. A few black sheep here and there wouldn't affect his chances of passing his genes on successfully.

Men on the other hand aren't expensive in terms of energy. They can spray their sperm everywhere an not give a ****. So they spray it here and there, sometimes the woman is ugly and sometimes she isn't, but her success isn't important because he can just have lots of kids anyway and pass on his genes more successfully.

So yeah, times are changing but you were looking for the reason so here it is. I actually read it from one of Richard Dawkins' books so if you're interested then go and read some Richard Dawkins.
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Housework is boring. Imagine having to do that your whole life... :erm: Some girls might be happy like that which is of course totally fine but others are most certainly not.

Jobs are boring as well. You are ****ed either way.
Original post by Classical Liberal

Suppose, if it's a 'job' rather than a 'career'...
Original post by Classical Liberal

I do feel a bit sorry for men about this. Despite feminists complaining about glass ceilings, women do have more freedom to work and stay at home as much as they can, and pick any job that makes them happy. Because the majority of them will have children and have to rely on a husband's income for a few years anyway.

Men kind of have to work solidly for 50 years and often have to prioritise income over satisfaction, which means they often don't even enjoy working, as they are likely to have to provide for a family at some point. They don't have a choice, they can't opt out of working easily.

I'm not saying whether either gender should or shouldn't work or stay-at-home. Is usually more biologically practical for a woman to stay at home as much as possible if there is a young child, but I think society frowns upon men who want to take a break and stay at home with children while their wife works, which is sad really, because some men are naturally good at it.
Reply 94
Original post by Nice Marmite

They are excuses. People will be saying the above yet a few people will have done perfectly well in the exam showing that it is all rubbish and that the biggest factor, revision, is the only real problem.

I've never seen a girl themselves. Again, the guy is either an *******, doesn't know what he is missing, not good enough etc, rather than her being fat, boring, ugly and so on. And from what others have said, this seems to be very common.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
And here is where I just stop taking you seriously altogether.

So women were not depressed int he 50's eh? Or maybe it just went unreported due to the attitudes of that time period? After all, this is back when marital rape was "legal", does it therefore mean no marital rape took place? Of course it did, it just wasn't recognized as such.

Just because martial rape was legal does not mean every man was committing it :facepalm2: Again, what is with the absurd notion that every man was pure evil and only the law prevents them from acting so?
And yes, depression was less of a problem because women were more grateful for having a house and food rather than wanting a luxurious lifestyle.

I reckon the princess culture seems to have risen because of a rise of media itnerest in the whole "footballer's wives" thing, as well as all the talentless pop stars out there, who are seen to be having it all despite a lack of effort, which breeds a sense of entitlement. I wouldn't say it was the influence of feminism, which if anything, encourages women to go out and achieve something for themselves by working hard.

I do think that is partially to blame. Name me some true female role models....and there is the problem. There are none.
But feminism used the term "your right", but it isn't as rights do no exist and it is such a lose term that it can be interpreted from "opportunity" to "duty".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post by hali0112
Haha. I was in a relationship and I was forced to end it cos he wasn't ready to settle down and wanted to see other people. I went through the motions of what you call 'princess syndrome.' Partly I think it was a defence mechanism. But I thought the only way I was going to get over it was to stop thinking in a way that most girls think. I wanted to see it from his perspective. I asked him but he was too scared to tell me everything for fear of hurting me :rolleyes: so I assessed myself. I started to think of things in a different way. I also read in an agony aunt column that in none of the scriptures or in any text does it say 'we deserve happiness.' I always thought we did. We all strive for it and I thought that we actually all deserved it. But it's not like food or shelter or unconditional love from parents. It comes about in a different way.

I think once you think of love a different way, your outlook in life changes and what you feel you have to have becomes another life goal and not something to expect :smile:

Ah, self critique! What you did is very rare and I think many girls are either to insecure and/or immature to do this. Of course the result is immaturity as they never learn from their experiences.
It is certainly a modern idea that all people deserve to be happy as this was not true in the past. A great quote about "the pursuit of happiness" is this : "The third 'right'?—the 'pursuit of happiness'? It is indeed unalienable but it is not a right; it is simply a universal condition which tyrants cannot take away nor patriots restore. Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can 'pursue happiness' as long as my brain lives—but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can ensure that I will catch it."

Original post by Lac.
You are displaying a basic incomprehension of what feminism is.
Feminism is not a sense of entitlement on the basis of gender. Feminism is the 'right' to have the same rights and chances as men, regardless of gender, no more and no less.

But what is a "right"? This is why any good philosopher stays the hell away from such a loose term as it is easily confused or misinterpreted from what it originally means.

Original post by MagicNMedicine
LOL Jimbo you have stirred the hornets nest with this post.

IMO it's nothing to do with 'feminism'. More likely its to do with the position of comparative power in the market that young women have compared to young men.

Say the 'average' guy is what you would rate a 6/10 for looks. I bet he doesn't get much attention from girls. He probably gets the occasional bit of interest from a girl of comparable looks, but most of his experiences with the opposite sex involve him becoming 'friends' with a girl above him in the attractiveness stakes, developing a hopeless crush on her, and her never showing any interest above platonic friendship.

Now take the 'average' girl of 6/10 looks. She has got a lot more experience, sexual and in terms of getting attention, than that guy. She gets attention from guys that are 6/10, 7/10 all the time. On her list of romantic/dating history she has probably been with guys that are 8 or even 9/10. The problem she has with the more attractive guys is that they don't really hang around long because they know that they can aim a bit higher, but they don't mind a bit of one off/occasional repeated sexual contact. In girl speak, when she sits with her friends gossiping about this, it makes her an interesting and complicated woman because she will have the story about a guy that was "hot but untameable" and moan about why does she always fall for bad guys etc, whereas the actual truth from the guy's perspective is she was ok for a shag but he wasn't going to settle for her in terms of getting with a girl exclusively.

However you can see why the average girl has a different perspective and ambition in terms of 'the perfect boyfriend' - because she has not only admired this type of hot guy from afar, she's had interest and sexual experience with them, so she feels he's attainable. The average guy to be fair is realistic about his ambitions and never really expects to get the perfect girlfriend. Even so, he might suffer from entitlement syndrome himself coming on TSR about how he's such a nice dude and women don't know what's best for them by looking past him for guys higher up the food chain lol.

I know right! Though I had no idea I would receive so much support :rofl:

That's a damn interesting way to look at it, especially as I can instantly think of a few girls who come to mind who act like this. It also explains another issue which has popped up on TSR a few times, but that I have also recently been aware of which is girls sleeping with a lot of guys,and guys sleeping with few girls.

Original post by The Fruitbat
Because you paint an image of these witch like women hunched over their computer screens avoiding sunlight and exercise. Going to put my hand up here and say that I definitely avoid exercise. I'm crap at it, quite astoundingly so ( but i fell off a treadmill once and it was kind of gymnastic...)... I wouldn't say that a girl who has no interest in such things should be insulted quite so readily, wouldn't you? The reality is that all of us are to some extent this picture that you give only to women. Here's another stereotype; guys spend 5-8 hours a week on their play stations on average. But It would be unfair to start a whinge about it on a gaming site.

Erm, why not? If the person doesn't respect themselves enough to keep fit, why should I respect them at all? Though I do believe this applies only to women - only joking :tongue: It applies to everyone.

I think that everyone should be treated with respect, actually, as a default, yes. Dont you? I think that everyone (oh god, here it gets mushy) has a propensity and right to love/be loved without being analysed for their appearance or facing a checklist of their good and bad points before passing a mark of 'acceptability' for someone to love them. It seems such a cold (and frankly unrealistic) attitude.

Sorry, no I don't agree. Just like happiness, you have to earn respect. No one is entitled to it. Life is hard and those who try are rewarded. Those who don't fail, though never seem to shut up about how they should have deserved more etc.

Why would you say I don't take 'try' with my appearance, out of curiosity? (Do you mean try to make myself attractive generally, or do you mean try to lure guys with my appearance?)

Because finding a significant other is not like standing in a parking lot waiting for people to check you over and see if they fancy a drive. Unless your car can sustain conversations and express opinions, thoughts, emotions, humour, wit and the rest, I think it's a poor example of a two way process. Im not a piece of meat. Are you? Do you actually consider yourself some car in a line? Thats depressing, sweetie.

Well why don't you go to the gym/do sports? Why do you not take pride, or at least aim to in you physical appearance? Surely you can not feel good if you do not look it as well, as I do believe that your appearance does reflect your personality.
Ah, but a car handles differently to others, looks different, rides different, some are more reliable etc and the guy who likes all of those things will bond well with it. So you see, in fact it is a perfect analogy. Of course you are in no line, but you are in a competition. To deny or forget that is only going to end badly.

And you know some unusual women. I wonder how many such women you actually know to do this. And how many men do the same, with, again, their x box for example?

I have never known any guy who is not a piece of **** to act in such a manner. As for women who act like I describe, all of them from what I have seen.

Yeah? Ask nearly any girl what has happened when she politely declined a mans invitation to go out or have a drink or dance with him. Ask how many of them demanded a reason why (as if the girl owed them something) or became aggressive and embarrassed and began lashing out. I'm sorry, I don't think it's men's fault, but our society breeds this sort of belief.

Again, what guys are you around? Seriously, what age, location, intelligence, income etc?

Well, I really hate that sort of behaviour, but surely that's an individual thing that goes against the idea of the 'modern women'.

Ps. Give me equal pay and I might pay for the drinks, yah? ;P

Actually women do get equal pay :redface: To not give equal pay is illegal. What people don't realise is that more women do part time work and never pursue a career, thus the "average" income for men is higher, not that men get paid more for the same job.
Have to admit, i've manage to pick up a rather wonderful man (lord knows how that happened) he's not perfect by any means but he's certainly more than i deserve and being with him and motivated me to become a better person and be someone who does actually deserve him.

By no standards are women perfect but some of us just need a kick up the ass to become the kind of person who deserves the perfect man so while we may not be brilliant while looking for him, once we have him we tend to turn into the more mature "introduce us to your mother" type.
Reply 96
Well not all women are, I'm not for a start.
I agree with you though I know a lot of women who suffer from PS, it's so annoying.
Original post by hippieglitter
I never understood why girls think they should just get given things, god forbid they should have to work for it. Its like all these threads by girls complaining that their boyfriend doesn't buy them presents and they are shocked when we all reply well what have you done to deserve a present?

Or "have you ever surprised him with a present?"

WHAT?! OF COURSE NOT?! WHY WOULD I BE EXPECTED TO DO THAT?! :tongue:
Original post by joey11223
Or "have you ever surprised him with a present?"

WHAT?! OF COURSE NOT?! WHY WOULD I BE EXPECTED TO DO THAT?! :tongue:

Unfortunately girls like this are overrepresented to males, same as male jerks are overrepresented to women.

Man falls in love with attractive woman, she realises she can treat him like dirt, she does "Oh no I'm not after your money, I just can't afford to eat tonight..."

Woman falls in love with attractive man, he realises he can treat her like dirt, he does "Oh no I've only ever slept with one other person and that was a long-term girlfriend 3 years ago who broke my heart..."

Most of my friends pay their way even though they make less than £6000 a year. But because they don't have a monopoly over the male market, men don't even notice because they are too busy chasing the hotties who turn out to be gold-digging tarts. Women are just as guilty though.
Reply 99
Princes syndrome does exist. But what women have to realise is that they shouldn't inspire to better themselves for men that mainly sit around downing pints of beer and smoking weed - they should do it for themselves.

Untill women are motivated to improve themselves for their own benefit, they are more than likely going to sit around and wait for the perfect man, that doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending